Supreme Court - Defense of Marriage Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court - Defense of Marriage Act

Today the Supreme Ct overturned the Defense of Marriage Act and dismissed the appeal in defense of California's Prop 8 banning gay marriage. Yesterday it invalidated important parts of the Voting Rights Act from 1968. I believe these were all 5-4 decisions.

It is very hard for me to put a positive spin on gutting the Voting Rights Act; if southern states want to block Black (or for that matter Catholic or Latino or Asian) voters from voting they do not need to fear federal supervision. Yet recognizing equal rights under the 14th Amendment's assurance of equal protection under the law is a huge step for human rights. But again, only as a 5-4 decision. Odd to think so much rests on a single person's vote.

The Court lost my respect with Bush v. Gore and confirmed that with Citizens United, and further confirmed it by gutting the Voting Rights Act yesterday. Maybe their rejection of DOMA and dismissal of the prop 8 appeal are an acceptance of new emerging reality.

Re: Recent Supreme Court Actions

Freedom? What's that?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

And some say there's no dif between the parties, so why bother voting...
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The country needs to remember its supposed to be a "free" country. "Freedom stops at the next guy's chin", the saying goes, meaning you can do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt someone else. Its a pretty good rule, i think it works in most cases. Yet we get into so much trouble letting busy bodies push their own views on others with the force of law; tax funded law. So if you don't like gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Seems pretty simple. If you don't like abortion, don't have one. But we collectively let people say, "My church says such & such is wrong so nobody should be able to do it oh and by the way my church will continue to collect its tax exemption for being non political thank you very much". I hope marriage brings gay people as much happiness as my marriage brought me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          I hope marriage brings gay people as much happiness as my marriage brought me.
          Personally, I think that more joy and happiness devoid of hurting others creates a more peaceful and content environment.

I'm IN!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Supreme Court - Defense of Marriage Act

Marriage does not need law to defend it. The institution will sink or swim based on its own merits (or lack thereof).

This whole issue is a tempest in a teapot when compared to wholesale starvation of large portions of the planets population and enormous profits raked in by the global arms trade.

The supreme court is stacked with fossils appointed to do their masters bidding.

That's how the election of Gore was tossed.

----------
            "... Power concedes nothing without a demand.
            It never did and it never will.
            Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out
            the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them,
            and these will continue till they are resisted either words or blows,
            or both.
            The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress..."

Frederick Douglass (1857)

Comment

Re: Supreme Court - Defense of Marriage Act

http://www.today.com/news/bert-ernie...0518?GT1=43001

Rubbah duckie.

Comment

Working...
              X