White House Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House Down

Attended a Tuesday night showing of White House Down at the Ward Theater.

The movie has a mixture of action that involves lots of guns a blazing, things blowing up, a car chase in a small area, humorous sayings and trivia about the White House, not to mention 3 guys get to be President of the United States in the span of 2 hours.

Re: White House Down

Wasn't that movie released a few months ago as "Olympus Has Fallen"?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Any and all memories of the Grecian past are worth thinking about.

The mask of the Queen of Troy was unearthed and transported to the

Museum in Berlin.

In the chaos of ww2 the mask was spirited away, never to be seen again.

Heinrich Schliemann had a hunch and acted upon it.

The academic world were somewhat dismissive until they eyeballed

what this dude uncovered .
      Last edited by lensperson; July 11, 2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Wasn't that movie released a few months ago as "Olympus Has Fallen"?
        While both movies have the same theme (and I have seen Olympus Has Fallen) they differ in the type of bad guys, how they staged the attack, what they were after, even the hero character was different as well as the kid sidekick that the hero was trying to protect.

Olympus Has Fallen had a more serious nature to the movie while White House Down had a good number of humorous scenes to lighten the mood of the movie.

Comment

White House Down (2013)
          Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Maggie Gyllanhaal, James Woods. Directed by Roland Emmerich.

One of the nice things about a movie like White House Down is that if you have seen the trailer, you pretty much know what to expect: lots of guns, explosions, smart-alecky remarks, and tension. I suppose for a lot of people, it’s the execution of those things in some kind of magic combination that determines whether or not the film is successful. I don’t dislike gunfights or funny one-liners in the face of mortal danger (although I do dislike chase scenes, as a rule), but what makes a movie like this good for me is the stuff that happens in between the action sequences. Give me characters I like, dialogue that’s interesting and (given the circumstances) believable, and some kind of big-picture theme to think about, and I’m pretty happy.

Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx on the marquee offer the potential to satisfy me on that level. If the material isn’t dumb, they’ll probably be pretty good, and that’s what they are. Tatum as an action star works for me because he knows how to be a normal guy, too, something the action stars of the Eighties seriously lacked. I’m not a fan of writing him as the father of a young girl held hostage in the White House, but at least the girl isn’t super-annoying. Tatum’s character, in fact, is given a little bit more of an interesting backstory than one might have predicted for a film of this sort. Foxx is his usual charming self, and it mostly works for this film, ‘though the point was made by my friend that he could have been any handsome, charming actor and nothing in the film would be different. Totally agree.

There’s a bit more to the film than is presented in the trailer, and even though the villain is revealed about midway through the film, his true plan isn’t realized until much later, in a pretty smart plot that I for one did not see coming. It’s not in The Sixth Sense‘s league for plot revelation, but it is pleasantly somewhat out of the ordinary. The important thing is that it’s pretty easy here to like and root for Tatum’s character, and Foxx is pleasant company for him, and Maggie Gyllenhaal a nice (if not especially daring) choice for an ally on the outside of the White House.

What I’m trying to say, I guess, is that this movie doesn’t suck. In fact, it’s a few notches better than it really had to be, and I appreciate that. It’s kind of fun, and kind of interesting, and not a bad way to spend a couple of hours.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
          71/100 (Criticker rating)

RE: Olympus has Fallen vs. White House Down: I haven't seen the former, but a friend of mine who has says Olympus has Fallen makes White House Down look like Shakespeare.

And don't forget that there was a similar theme in the G.I. Joe sequel. I haven't seen that one either, but I suspect it makes Olympus Has Fallen look like Shakespeare.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
          X