Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,422

    Thumbs up Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    http://www.khon2.com/2013/07/21/smok...hes-bus-stops/

    HA HA HA HA !!!

    THANK GOODNESS!!!. THANK GOD!!!.


    At least the cancer itself will be cut down & minimized for those who don't smoke, & wont be affected by the nicotine stench!!.

    otherwise, for us non smokers, we will be reminding you to those who smoke, if your lucky, you'll just get a reminder, if you get caught by the police, MAYBE you may get a warning, or far worse, a ticket/fine!!.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect....

    So we gotta wait til '14 for any enforcement because of signage? What happened to ignorance of the law is no excuse? Will workers be coming around weekly to replace the vandalized/removed signs? Will they be painting lines 20' around bus stops to designate the no-no zone? And will smokers do more of what they usually do when being 'considerate' by standing directly upwind of everybody so we get all of it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect....

    "Oh the times, they are a changing ..."

    Some states are more progressive than others....

    Note:

    Gay Marriage and Marijuana:

    For those who haven't heard, Washington State just passed two new laws - gay marriage and legalized marijuana.

    The fact that gay marriage and marijuana were legalized on the same day makes perfect biblical sense because

    Leviticus 20:13 says: "If a man lies with another man they should be stoned.”

    Evidently, we just hadn't interpreted it correctly before!

    Thanks go out to Gabe and Byron for sharing this...
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,422

    Thumbs up Re: Smoking ban in effect....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    So we gotta wait til '14 for any enforcement because of signage? What happened to ignorance of the law is no excuse? Will workers be coming around weekly to replace the vandalized/removed signs? Will they be painting lines 20' around bus stops to designate the no-no zone? And will smokers do more of what they usually do when being 'considerate' by standing directly upwind of everybody so we get all of it?
    If I were you, I would be BOLD enough & have the guts to stand up & say so to remind them, after all, its your own health that your protecting. IF they want to ruin their health & direct death towards themselves slowly, that's their prerogative. At least IF any at at all, they SHOULD have the decency to use e-cigarette at least if they are going to be around people in public. GAWD!!.

    I know I have the guts to come out & say so & remind them!!. Heck!!, its my health I am protecting, Know what I mean? I want to be able to live a longer life, & NOT encourage cancer to inflict me all over again!!.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,422

    Thumbs up Re: Smoking ban in effect....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    "Oh the times, they are a changing ..."

    Some states are more progressive than others....

    Note:

    Gay Marriage and Marijuana:

    For those who haven't heard, Washington State just passed two new laws - gay marriage and legalized marijuana.

    The fact that gay marriage and marijuana were legalized on the same day makes perfect biblical sense because

    Leviticus 20:13 says: "If a man lies with another man they should be stoned.Ē

    Evidently, we just hadn't interpreted it correctly before!

    Thanks go out to Gabe and Byron for sharing this...
    !!. <--- that's all I got for a reply.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    I'm really, really against this law. I'm not a smoker, but once or twice a year, I enjoy a nice cigar. In the dark hours before the sun comes up, I find a nice spot, far, far away from other human beings (because I cherish my solitude) and spend a good half hour or so with this little indulgence.

    Am I hurting anyone? Do you really care if I have a smoke at 4:30 in the morning in a grassy area far, far away from wherever you or any other human being is? Doesn't matter, because now the activity is illegal. This law sucks.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,422

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I'm really, really against this law. I'm not a smoker, but once or twice a year, I enjoy a nice cigar. In the dark hours before the sun comes up, I find a nice spot, far, far away from other human beings (because I cherish my solitude) and spend a good half hour or so with this little indulgence.

    Am I hurting anyone? Do you really care if I have a smoke at 4:30 in the morning in a grassy area far, far away from wherever you or any other human being is? Doesn't matter, because now the activity is illegal. This law sucks.
    Good question indeed..

    I guess as long as no one is around that could be affected by the smoke, & if you are at home by yourself, it may possibly be ok.

    on another note, hypothetically saying .... IF I was to say....

    I am not really a drug addict &/or an alcoholic, BUT once or twice a year I would enjoy shooting up & drinking beer in the dark hours before the sun comes up, technically I am not really hurting anyone. lol,

    That's fine & dandy, but, are you really not hurting anyone one?? your only putting those toxic nasty things in your system once or twice a year.

    That's not good, but that's not MY body. so, go ahead pollute your insides of yourself , your only inflicting it upon yourself. your not really hurting anyone, & if you want to shorten your life span, heck!! why not!!. have at it, knock your self out!!.

    Just don't be surprised that you may end up inside the casket early than you expected to be, because of an unstoppable cancer that you encouraged.

    I am just saying.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    I'm really, really against this law. I'm not a smoker, but once or twice a year, I enjoy a nice cigar. In the dark hours before the sun comes up, I find a nice spot, far, far away from other human beings (because I cherish my solitude) and spend a good half hour or so with this little indulgence.
    How far is "far, far away?" I have a neighbor below me who likes to smoke his cigars about 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning on his lonely balcony overlooking the sea. He smokes on his balcony with his sliders closed because his wife doesn't like the smell in her house. His cigar smoke comes wafting up through my open balcony doors into my bedroom. I do not like waking up in the morning to the smell of a stale or fresh cigar.

    I am really, really in favor of this law. Non-smokers have rights that trump smoker's insensitivity.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  9. #9

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect....

    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    If I were you, I would be BOLD enough & have the guts to stand up & say so to remind them, after all, its your own health that your protecting. IF they want to ruin their health & direct death towards themselves slowly, that's their prerogative. At least IF any at at all, they SHOULD have the decency to use e-cigarette at least if they are going to be around people in public. GAWD!!.
    I know I have the guts to come out & say so & remind them!!. Heck!!, its my health I am protecting, Know what I mean? I want to be able to live a longer life, & NOT encourage cancer to inflict me all over again!!.
    Just remember, if you were me you'd be a guy, and as such you end up fighting more able persons and more often. Not that I don't speak up and have had to duke it, but I can't fight the entire world, battles must be chosen and I usually have even higher priorities in which to inject myself physically, like... republicans.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    How far is "far, far away?"
    We're talking about parks. At times when I'm the only person in them. Believe me, it's very far away from other humans. What reasonable person considers the balcony below another person "far, far away?"

    Which of your rights am I tromping on if, at 5 in the morning, I'm in a park all by myself, enjoying a good cigar, while you are miles away in your bed enjoying the remnants of a pleasant dream?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  11. #11

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    We're talking about parks. At times when I'm the only person in them. Believe me, it's very far away from other humans. What reasonable person considers the balcony below another person "far, far away?"

    Which of your rights am I tromping on if, at 5 in the morning, I'm in a park all by myself, enjoying a good cigar, while you are miles away in your bed enjoying the remnants of a pleasant dream?
    The situation of even "needing" a law is due to inconsiderate smokers who will light up in the proximity of others, who will toss their cigarette butts on the ground or sand or into the water, and other such offenses. If all smokers were considerate and non-polluting, there would not have been a NEED for the law.

    But since not all smokers are considerate or reasonable, the law has come about. There is no way to realistically put conditions on the law, since it has been proven by the already-inconsiderate-smokers that they lack judgement and reason.

    Thus, no smoking in parks. There is no "judgement call" involved, no reasoning needed. There is no judgement on "is there anyone else around" or "is there someone too close" or "is it OK to smoke under this tree but not that one". Thank the non-thinkers for the need for a clear cut law. When you see someone smoking in an area that could bother someone else, walk up and remind them that THEY are the reason that firm laws are needed. That is who your complaints should be focused on.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapalama Heights.
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    The situation of even "needing" a law is due to inconsiderate smokers who will light up in the proximity of others,
    Sigh. Yes, this I am aware of. And in this case, I guess the law makes some sense, and I can accept it on philosophical grounds.

    who will toss their cigarette butts on the ground or sand or into the water, and other such offenses. If all smokers were considerate and non-polluting, there would not have been a NEED for the law.p
    Completely different issue. Littering is already illegal (unlike smoking in a public place in the vicinity of others, which still isn't). Making smoking illegal because some people litter is like making drinking in bars illegal because some people drive while intoxicated. The existing laws address the problem; making new laws just for the convenience of enforcing them is kind of authoritarian and not really at all democratic.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

  13. #13

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Completely different issue. Littering is already illegal (unlike smoking in a public place in the vicinity of others, which still isn't). Making smoking illegal because some people litter is like making drinking in bars illegal because some people drive while intoxicated. The existing laws address the problem; making new laws just for the convenience of enforcing them is kind of authoritarian and not really at all democratic.
    Unfortunately for the responsible smokers, those dullard smokers needed a more direct approach due to their disregard for litter laws, as well as their disrespect for the health and comfort of others. But I see your point about wouldn't it be better to enforce current laws that cover a problem instead of making more laws.

    Had all smokers been bright, you'd still be able to enjoy that private cigar at dawn by yourself at a public park or beach.
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    What reasonable person considers the balcony below another person "far, far away?"
    What reasonable person? My neighbor and far too many other inconsiderate smokers. My neighbor thinks that 10 feet is "far, far away."

    Which of your rights am I tromping on if, at 5 in the morning, I'm in a park all by myself, enjoying a good cigar, while you are miles away in your bed enjoying the remnants of a pleasant dream?
    Scriv you took my post personally and you became defensive. What we need is a dialogue that will arrive at an understanding that is a "win/win" proposition for one and all. I have no problem with you smoking a cigar that does not intrude on those (particularly me) who choose a smoke free environment. Far too many smokers don't understand that.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kahalu`u Stream
    Posts
    2,933

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    Sigh. Yes, this I am aware of. And in this case, I guess the law makes some sense, and I can accept it on philosophical grounds.


    Completely different issue. Littering is already illegal (unlike smoking in a public place in the vicinity of others, which still isn't). Making smoking illegal because some people litter is like making drinking in bars illegal because some people drive while intoxicated. The existing laws address the problem; making new laws just for the convenience of enforcing them is kind of authoritarian and not really at all democratic.
    Gee, we should take this argument to the "Gun Control" thread...

    '... it's like making guns illegal because some people break the laws with them ...'
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    '... it's like making guns illegal because some people break the laws with them ...'
    Or like years ago when they went wholesale stupid about barring incoming calls to a pay phone because a few were using them for drug deals.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii.
    Posts
    1,422

    Thumbs up Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    YAY!! its here !!

    Yes, its been here for a while too. - no smoking signs on bus stops!!!

    Thank Heavens!!. That's all I gotta Say .
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Smoking ban in effect on Oahu

    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...n-hawaii-to-21

    This is gonna stop them from smoking.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •