Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a night and morning in Honolulu: what can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a night and morning in Honolulu: what can I do?

Hello everybody!

So I'm flying to Honolulu Airport. I should arrive by 9pm and I island hop the next morning at 1230pm.

Any suggestions for what I can do around the area? Or where I can eat? I'll probably be taking a taxi if I need to.

I been craving some really good poke

Re: I have a night and morning in Honolulu: what can I do?

Taxis are pretty expensive. Even the bus is $2.50, but it can get you almost anywhere.

Depends on what you are interested in. Tourist stuff? Diamond Head? Museums? (Bishop Museum is newly remodeled and pretty astounding!), Surfing? Shopping?

I don't know where the good poke is, but you can use the Internet to get some ratings. In fact, the bottom of this page has our partner sites, one of which is "Hawaii Grinds" our local food Blog.

In fact, there's even a generic Hawaii Blog. Check 'em out.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I think I'm looking for good food and a little shopping for souvenirs. I know I don't have time for a lot of things.

I'll check out the blogs

Comment

Are you getting a hotel room/staying somewhere for the night? If yes, what area? (If no, where are you planning on sleeping, the airport?)
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

lol, yea. I have a nice little room at Honolulu Airport Hotel.

Comment

oh but i think i made it a goal to find a small turtle figurine that may or may not say hawaii on it

Comment

For souvenirs I recommend Hilo Hattie's on Nimitz half way between the airport and Waikiki. Not a grossly expensive cab ride! My first thought for dinner was Nico's at Pier 38 but it closes at 9p.

Comment

I'd suggest learning about and listening to Hilo Hattie, the lady, over the out of the way and rather boring store but if you do make it that way be sure to swing by the one and only La Mariana for a swank tiki time. The International Marketplace in Waikiki with the Food Court would be my suggestion for shirts/trinkets/leftover ambience, and then you can hit The Royal Hawaiian Hotel nearby for the currently running exhibit featuring Waikiki's beachboys from the Golden Era, should be cool. http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/resort...-photo-exhibit
                Poke; Tamashiro Mkt. is the landmark and you can meet Hawaii's best joker and steel guitarist in the produce section, Bobby Ingano. But Foodland and Safeway have most excellant choices, my near daily is a 1/2 lb. 'ahi limu' with a dash each of shoyu and sesame oil.
                Hike Diamond Head for the view if sunny, visit a botanical garden or Kualoa Ranch, roam Iolani Palace, sift thru old photos of the area's historical places/people at the State Archives, or stroll around old Honolulu/Chinatown and stop in at Lai Fong (my favorite place) on Nuuanu Ave. (if Bob has the doors open) and peruse the ancient noir, ask to see the Leeteg. Then hit Hank's just a 1/2 block away makai, he's a neat guy and the place is cool for grub/drinks.
                Too much fun to mention, even for one day.
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 23, 2013, 12:45 PM.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by ItsJoey View Post
                  So I'm flying to Honolulu Airport. I should arrive by 9pm and I island hop the next morning at 1230pm
                  Arrives 9pm, check in nearby hotel ... that will make it about 10:30pm when done with that and ready for fun.
                  Meanwhile, flight leaves 12:30 pm next day, so airport check in process means needing to catch shuttle bus from hotel by 10:30 am-11pm.
                  That narrows down the available time to about 12 hours, including sleeping.

A taxi from the airport area to Waikiki will cost about $35 each way. That is $70 round trip. You might want to call the hotel ahead of time and see if there are options for a shuttle or less expensive mode of transportation. Renting a car would be a possibility, but finding parking can be something that might eat up a lot of your time in Waikiki.

What day are you passing through Honolulu? You might have a more relaxing time to forget trying Waikiki, and instead catch a taxi or bus to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (if it is open that day) very early the next morning, and just stick close to the airport. You won't find much cheaper Tshirts and trinkets than at the swap meet.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    For souvenirs I recommend Hilo Hattie's on Nimitz half way between the airport and Waikiki. Not a grossly expensive cab ride! My first thought for dinner was Nico's at Pier 38 but it closes at 9p.
                    Not too far, i might check the store out in the AM while venturing for breakfast.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      Arrives 9pm, check in nearby hotel ... that will make it about 10:30pm when done with that and ready for fun.
                      Meanwhile, flight leaves 12:30 pm next day, so airport check in process means needing to catch shuttle bus from hotel by 10:30 am-11pm.
                      That narrows down the available time to about 12 hours, including sleeping.

A taxi from the airport area to Waikiki will cost about $35 each way. That is $70 round trip. You might want to call the hotel ahead of time and see if there are options for a shuttle or less expensive mode of transportation. Renting a car would be a possibility, but finding parking can be something that might eat up a lot of your time in Waikiki.

What day are you passing through Honolulu? You might have a more relaxing time to forget trying Waikiki, and instead catch a taxi or bus to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (if it is open that day) very early the next morning, and just stick close to the airport. You won't find much cheaper Tshirts and trinkets than at the swap meet.
                      I arrive Sunday night and leave Monday morning. Short stay I know.

Does island hoping flights require me to be at the airport super early? One hour prior should be fine, right?

Comment

I arrive Sunday night and leave Monday morning. Short stay I know.

Does island hoping flights require me to be at the airport super early? One hour prior should be fine, right?
                        If you are leaving out of the inter island terminal, you still have to go through the security section. It usually is OK, but I've seen it backed up. The kiosks keep the ticketing issuance moving along pretty well, but if there is baggage that you have to handle, you can run into a bit of a crowd if you happen to be leaving when mainland flights are checking in.

Let's put it this way. I've been there half-hour prior to a flight and did just fine. But I was willing to handle the problems if I missed my flight (reticketing, etc). But if I am looking for as stress free as possible travel, I allow an hour for check in, and take something to read in the airport if I end up at the gate early. Allowing time for a on a shuttle bus from the airport can add more time, don't cut it too close because the shuttles can run behind schedule.

By the way, the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is not open on Mondays, so that is out.

Comment

Not too far, i might check the store out in the AM while venturing for breakfast.

Thanks!!
                          It's a large store and not boring in the least, especially for someone on a very short turn around, staying near the airport and looking for souvenirs! Hilo Hatties also has a coffee bar with snacks but doesn't serve meals. If you end up a bit short on time and need a convenient restaurant for breakfast, Zippy's is across the street from HH and is open 24 hours.

BTW...good advice from Amati.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            For souvenirs I recommend Hilo Hattie's on Nimitz half way between the airport and Waikiki.
                            I've been there several times in years past, but I thought they had closed down, maybe it was just the store in SoCal. Happy to hear they are alive and well.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              If you are leaving out of the inter island terminal, you still have to go through the security section. It usually is OK, but I've seen it backed up. The kiosks keep the ticketing issuance moving along pretty well, but if there is baggage that you have to handle, you can run into a bit of a crowd if you happen to be leaving when mainland flights are checking in.

Let's put it this way. I've been there half-hour prior to a flight and did just fine. But I was willing to handle the problems if I missed my flight (reticketing, etc). But if I am looking for as stress free as possible travel, I allow an hour for check in, and take something to read in the airport if I end up at the gate early. Allowing time for a on a shuttle bus from the airport can add more time, don't cut it too close because the shuttles can run behind schedule.

By the way, the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is not open on Mondays, so that is out.
                              Good points. Thanks for the advice. If all else fails, at least I'll have time to have a good breakfast before I leave. I better play it safe

Comment

Working...
                              X