Mano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mano

2 shark attacks at Maui in 3 days, one at Ka'a Point in the Ho'okipa area and the other at Palauea, other side of the island in the Makena area. Very unlikely the same shark. Walking a Maui beach one morning I found a dead tiger shark about 12 ft long, it had swallowed a piece of lumber that ruptured its innards, it washed in to a beach where I'd body surfed about 12 hours earlier. Once driving out past Kipahulu we picked up a hitch hiking cowboy from a ranch past Kipahulu who said there were more shark attacks than the authorities like to let on as the publicity is bad for the tourism industry. He related a story about an unfortunate steer that had been in the water. A woman got killed at Olowalu a few weeks after we had snorkeled there. I was a little kid in the water at La Jolla Cove in 1959 the day Robert L. Pamperin was devoured by a 20 + ft white there, got circled by a small shark surfing at Black's in the '70's. They give me the creeps, always have. I swam in Lake Superior once, water about 67, pleasant enough, I gotta say having absolutely no fear no matter how tiny gnawing away inside was real pleasant: no sharks, rays, jellyfish, its a nice change, and I love the ocean, always have. I think there have been 3 fatal shark attacks in SD County in the last 50 years including Mr. Pamperin.

Re: Mano-

Maybe your dead tiger shark that swallowed the lumber was just board with life.
    Greg

Comment

11 shark attacks in Hawai'i last year, 6 at Maui. 8 so far this year, 5 at Maui. Scientists are investigating Maui's attraction. Actually its a sign of a healthy eco system. Maybe the calmer waters because of offshore islands produces more food for the sharks. My attitude on man eating sharks is 100 % retarded, friends can't believe I put man eating sharks in the same category with diphtheria.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        My attitude on man eating sharks is 100 % retarded, friends can't believe I put man eating sharks in the same category with diphtheria.

Men eating sharks is a fact and is fully accepted.

Man-eating sharks have existed for eons.

Juss saying.
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Re: Mano

I know I am wrong. Thats what makes feeling the way I do strange. Diphtheria is or was part of the natural world too. Nothing at all against the vast majority of shark species that don't eat people, in fact I like them. Obviously however I feel has no impact on anything. Probably sharks will be here long after humans have gone extinct.

Comment

A 16 year old surfer attacked at Pohoiki. I think the Maui paniolo was right, there are more attacks in Hawai'i than the authorities like to let on. 3 attacks in California in a week: unheard of, there'd be mass panic, there'd be shark killing patrols. There don't seem to be attacks in heavily visited areas. There must have been an attack on the North Shore but none comes to mind. Islands do seem to attract them. San Clemente Island and Catalina are noted for sharks, Guadalupe off Baja is famous for them. There was a large population of whites off the Farallons off SF but last I heard for some reason they had pretty much left that area and nobody knew why.

Comment

there'd be mass panic, there'd be shark killing patrols.

There must have been an attack on the North Shore but none comes to mind.

There was a large population of whites off the Farallons off SF but last I heard for some reason they had pretty much left that area and nobody knew why.
              There will be if this keeps up. Not too long ago there was a bunch who got all KILL THE SHARKS wild until calmer voices nullified it.

A coupla years back a board was found but not the surfer...

Climate change has been moving sea life around lately and as food sources move so do their predators.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

There are some things that drive me a bit crazy. One is teaching children that bears are cute and friendly. Obvious problems with that. Also people who keep dangerous wild animals for pets. Remember a few years ago when a guy committed suicide after releasing lions and tigers from his private zoo, they attacked and I think killed a few people and then all had to be shot. There's the recent case of the two little boys in Canada recently killed by a big snake. And then sharks...on TV, saw somebody had hooked a white then let it go. I think they are a protected species. Precious diphtheria, please help save diphtheria, send your money right away. I just don't get it. I would not go so far as to kill ALL the man eaters but if we won't tolerate murderers prowling our streets why tolerate man eaters prowling the beaches. But as I said, my opinion is highly out of favor and it doesn't make any difference anyway. I'd just put a bounty on them. But it would never happen.

Comment

I would not go so far as to kill ALL the man eaters, I'd just put a bounty on them.
                  No need, Asian finners have been greedily wiping out shark populations by the bazillions for decades.

Comment

Sheesh, the poor friggin German girl died!

Comment

Big Makena (and I suppose probably Little, too) closed due to cruising shark spotted, in the 10 ft + range.

Comment

Although the thread hasn't been updated, several other recent shark occurances have taken place this fall/winter around Maui.

I follow the theory that sharks are a creature of habit and will follow fishermen, and their bait, and mistake swimmers, dangling feet as cheap eats. If the fishermen rotated locations, that would help.

But I can't buy the idea that the authorities are not telling the entire story. These days, *everyone* has a camera is on Face Book, Twitter, etc., so the word gets out fast.
                        If you can't set a good example, at least serve as a horrible warning.

Comment

Punalu'u closed on the Big Island due to another bite, non fatal, of a boogie boarder. Years ago somebody told me there were a lot more shark attacks in Hawai'i than the authorities liked to let on, don't want to scare the visitors & their $$ away. I know hunting sharks would not be popular but couldn't there maybe be shark patrols around popular beaches. It seems like warning people after someone has been bitten or killed is a bit late. We don't allow murder on the streets whether the person is sane or not and we should take a bit more care to assure it doesn't happen in the water either. Oh yes, its their turf. Just like North America was the bears turf but who wants bears roaming elementary school corridors.

Comment

Recently heard story on news that in Australia they have tagged sharks with rf chips that can be detected by sensors on shore which sends out an allert on twitter! The link is below...
                            http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...-shark-hunting

Comment

Working...
                            X