Another War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another War

Should US attack Syria, yes or no. Comments please.

Re: Another War

No, the US should not attack Syria.

If there was a good reason to think our attack would help, either help the Syrians or further our own interests in the region, maybe an attack would be reasonable. I'm not a pacifist or an isolationist. But I don't see any good coming from our involvement. Rather, it seems to me that the only reason for an attack now would be to bolster the authority of our political leaders who tried to deter Assad with threats, which didn't work. I wish the threats had worked, but the fact that they didn't is not a good enough reason to start killing people.
    Greg

Comment

"There never was a good war or a bad peace", I think that was Franklin, not sure. Basically true. The elephant in the room is the start of WW2, if people had been as alert against Hitler as they should have been ideally, it could have been stopped before it started. That seems like a good thing but history being what it is, that might have led to a stronger USSR and who can guess how that might have ended up.

To me its the question of being the world's policeman. There are so many bad, brutal, evil things going on. Where to start? Any good reason not to topple No. Korea? Is Syria's gvt really that much worse than many other gvts we tolerate for decades? The economics are real bad, we should have learned at least that from Iraq & Afghanistan, not to forget the expense of their Afghanistan War very much helped put the USSR out of business.

Oh well. There's nothing I or anybody I know can do. Just sit back and watch the show.

Comment

Oh yeah, and we can blame Bush.

We lost over 100,000 men in Europe during WWII, 52,000+ in VietNam.

Now Europe hates us, Vietnam is Communist. When will we learn to keep our soldiers out of other peoples' business?

We kill the most competent of our men, the best of the best, and we expect to evolve?
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

War, What is it good for?

Comment

Anything we do militarily in the Middle East will not have any lasting value, simply because our country has involved itself extensively in the region. In one case, we took a fledgling secular, representative government and violated the sanctity of diplomatic land (the US embassy in this case) by plotting to overthrow the head of said government (Mosaddegh) in favor of an autocratic dictator (Pahlavi), so BP could get their profits.

Any act of military invention will be looked at with utmost skepticism. Any government that rises from the ashes of the Assad regime after US military intervention will have the taint of that utmost skepticism. Sadly, even if we have the best of intentions, any act of war will backfire.

But I don't think there are any good intentions here. We may want to see relief come to the people of Syria, but I believe any war is only about the military industrial complex making money, and possibly flushing out Iran so we can finally have that war with Iran for which all the warhawks have been clamoring.
            Last edited by Vanguard; August 30, 2013, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I don't think it will happen. It would be political suicide for Obummer. (Not that that's a bad thing....)

Our allies are against it, the UN is against it, congress is against it. I assume most of the US populace is, too, but who knows?
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The best thing politically for Obama would be for him to want to go for it but Congress to ban it, then he is in the clear however it turns out. I really don't want another war. They say this would be quick in & out. Yet thats how they thought WW1 would be and it was a huge meat grinder. So if "we" don't go in and nothing bad or worse or much worse happens in Syria, no loss to Obama, but if "we" don't go in and something horrible happens because "we" didn't, Obama can always say, "See...I TOLD you!". Either way he comes out good. Mainly i am tired of the US wading in as the world's policeman. There is all KINDS of bad stuff going on, but we never attacked the USSR or China, not even Cuba since the Bay of Pigs. If Syria were to invade Jordan or on its own attack Israel that would be a different matter. Somehow, I think everybody in the Mid East knows you don't mess with Israel.

Comment

Points to Russia for proposing that Syria turn over its chemical weapons to international control, which Syria says it accepts. Lets hope this works out. I don't think anybody wants a war. At least anybody sane.

Comment

Its the feel good story of the summer. Russia & US reach accord on disposal of Syrian chemical weapons. Everybody comes away happy. For now.

Comment

Working...
                    X