Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Kolea

Default Re: First Kolea

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang who got it from Hana Hou (Hawaiian Airlines Magazine)
    Fossil evidence suggests that the kolea have been flying between Hawaii and Alaska for at least 120,000 years, and their appearance in the oral traditions of pre-contact Polynesian societies has led to speculation that some Pacific islands, perhaps even the Hawaiian Islands themselves, were discovered by Polynesians following the migrating birds.
    Wouldn't the pre-contact Polynesians be sailing from south to north while the kolea be flying north to south?
    Last edited by helen; August 10th, 2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: correcting the source of the quote

Quote Originally Posted by helen
    Wouldn't the pre-contact Polynesians be sailing from south to north while the kolea be flying north to south?
    Yes, but Hawaii is not the only place in the Pacific where Kolea live. They are scattered all over the mid- and south-Pacific, including in New Zealand and Australia. So it's quite possible that Polynesians saw the birds flying north, disappearing for the summer months and the reappearing in August, and perhaps they figured there must be somewhere worth visiting, up north.

I have some very interesting notes about the migration, from that lecture last spring. I'll dig them up by the end of the week and share them.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

The reason why the early return of the kolea may be significant to the kanaka maoli is because in Hawaiian mythology, Koleamoku is the patron of the kahunas and is thought to bring messages of healing. The kanaka maoli are very spiritual people, and the arrival of the kolea may be timed to the current turmoil afflicting KSBE, just as the schooling swarms of aweoweo were supposed to presage turmoil or times of change.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang

The kanaka maoli are very spiritual people, and the arrival of the kolea may be timed to the current turmoil afflicting KSBE, just as the schooling swarms of aweoweo were supposed to presage turmoil or times of change.
    Anyone remember anything of major significance that might have happened two years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkah
    Anyone remember anything of major significance that might have happened two years ago?
    I searched through the Hawaii news annals for the year 2003, and around the time of the aweoweo swarming, the first KSBE suit had just been filed in June, 2003:

"...The Kamehameha Schools' renewed Hawaiians-only
    admission policy is being challenged as a civil
    rights violation under a lawsuit filed yesterday
    in U.S. District Court.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of an unidentified
    non-Hawaiian student says federal civil rights
    laws prohibit private schools from denying
    admission on the basis of race.

"They bring this action anonymously on the basis
    of their reasonable fears of retaliation by
    (Kamehameha Schools) students, their parents and
    members of the public for challenging (Kamehameha
    Schools') preference for applicants of Hawaiian
    ancestry," the lawsuit reads..."

Could the aweoweo have been the warning sign of trouble and the kolea a sign that everything would be made pono for KSBE? How much more coincidental can you get?

Miulang

First one returned to our property here on the windward side this morning. Hooray!

Wow! Already? Seems like it was just a few months ago when the last one packed up and left over at Oceanic Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal
    Wow! Already? Seems like it was just a few months ago when the last one packed up and left over at Oceanic Institute.
    Yeah. Their mating and hatching season is from about May to about August. They only stick around long enough for the young to be mature enough to make the flight, then they take off and leave the young to figure it out for themselves.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

The kolea, as celebrated in olelo, mele and hula.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 12th, 2005 at 08:02 PM.

just looked up Kolea,very pretty bird

I noticed a kolea in mating plumage for the first time this season. When do they start leaving?

If you mean the "tuxedo" coloring, I've seen it on our kolea here for about three weeks now.
    And while I thought that kolea always returned to the same places here, it seems there are exceptions. We had a one-legged kolea (which I named "Chester" ) who came back to our property for several years, then he went missing last year and I figured a predator had caught him or something. Until two weekends ago, when I was at Windward Mall (about a mile from my place) and saw Chester there. Glad to see he's alive and well.
    He was close to the Leonard's Bakery truck, so that might explain his change of hangout.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui
    We had a one-legged kolea (which I named "Chester" ) who came back to our property for several years, then he went missing last year and I figured a predator had caught him or something. Until two weekends ago, when I was at Windward Mall (about a mile from my place) and saw Chester there. Glad to see he's alive and well.
    He was close to the Leonard's Bakery truck, so that might explain his change of hangout.
    Maybe the kolea you saw at Windward Mall this year was Chester's long lost cousin "Fester"! I'm sure that there must be more than one one-legged kolea hopping around.

Miulang

Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    Maybe the kolea you saw at Windward Mall this year was Chester's long lost cousin "Fester"! I'm sure that there must be more than one one-legged kolea hopping around.
    Oh, I'm 100% sure it was Chester. He had minor damage to one wing and so did the kolea last week. It was him, all right.

They usually leave right at the beginning of May. There's a one-legged kolea near my school, too.

Most of the koleas I see every day have moulted; a few still have their winter plumage. By the way, you can tell the males from the females when they're in their tuxedos. That white stripe that separates the black front from the speckled brown back is very clearly defined on the male; on the female, it sorta fades away at the breast and is sorta difficult to make out near the belly.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

I remember reading this article, from the in-flight Hawaiian Airlines magazine while on a Honolulu-Hilo journey in December 2004.

Hana Hou Magazine article about the kolea.

I had remembered that the article made reference to the dates of April 25 and 26 ( April 26 being yesterday ) as ones of importance to the migration of the kolea to Alaska. Whatever date most of them choose to leave, I imagine that the great migration has occured or is just about to. I wish them all a safe trip over and hope they all make it back to Hawai'i in August!

The kolea here were all looking very well fed and ready on Monday, and I haven't seen them since then. Bon voyage, my fine feathered friends.

Dunno how I missed this thread, but we had one or two frequenting our back yard for quite a while this spring. Here's one I managed to photograph.

Cool capture. Having photographed a couple of kolea myself, I know they're jittery little things that don't much care for paparazzi.

Here's a column by Bob Krauss in the Advertiser on the inevitable departure of the kolea.
    Lots of people ask where kolea congregate to take off for Alaska. An e-mail from Marion describes three departures. Each time, the kolea massed in groups of 30 to 50 birds before taking off together. The departures took place on April 22, 1993, at Kualoa, on April 12, 1997, at a public school in Waimanalo, and on April 26, 1995, at Punchbowl.
    Interesting, as I don't think I've ever seen even a remotely large group of these birds. A handful, sure, but 50? Must be quite a sight.

Thanks, Zarq. Here's another one with a better view of its legs, but poorly cropped.

First kolea!

I actually went looking around my neighborhood Sunday, hoping to see my Alaskan friends, but it wasn't until Monday at the Fort Shafter golf course (I was at a function) that I saw my first, then my second. My usual first kolea, on the front lawn of the Mokulele Fire Station, still hasn't arrived, but this morning I saw one of his buddies in the nearby baseball field.

A colleague said: I love these birds. When they show up, you know the school year's about to begin, and when they leave, the school year's about to end. No wonder I feel such kinship with these birds!
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Already? Wow, where did the summer go?

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener
    A colleague said: I love these birds. When they show up, you know the school year's about to begin, and when they leave, the school year's about to end. No wonder I feel such kinship with these birds!
    And are they dressed in their new duds yet?

Still in their tuxedos. Just like me.
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Default Re: Kolea departure

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Here's a column by Bob Krauss in the Advertiser on the inevitable departure of the kolea.
    Resurrecting this topic, cuz all our kolea are switching to their 'tuxedos' really fast these days. Gonna be a shame to see 'em leave soon...

It's always kind of a sad day when the migratory birds start leaving this area (RI) en masse. While some birds do winter over, (like a few robins), the majority of the birds who can migrate to warmer weather do.

I was fortunate to see many migratory birds while on my recent two month winter farming tour in the Caribbean, that is, the birds who had migrated from the mainland US for the winter...it's almost, in a way, kind of like "cheating"..to be able to see the birds one normally wouldn't see during the winter on the mainland US, in their winter homes. Sort of like getting up very early on a winter morning to view the evening Springtime constellations which start appearing in the eastern horizon.

In the same light as above, I've always thought it would be neat to see the kolea in their Alaska summer breeding grounds...has anyone here in HT ever made the journey to Alaska and seen kolea on "the other side"?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast