Huffington Post Hawaii Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huffington Post Hawaii Launches

Media powerhouse Arianna Huffington and local entrepreneur Pierre Omidyar took the stage at Hawaii Theatre tonight to discuss "The State of the Media," and to celebrate the launch of "Huffington Post Hawaii."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hawaii

If you click that link before Sept. 4, it won't work. But you can read the announcement here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3349236.html

Arianna's massive "Huffington Post" brand is partnering with Pierre's "Civil Beat" to mix HP's click-friendly content with CB's civic-minded investigative reporting. And of course there will be a stable of bloggers generating content for free, in exchange for a share of the 75 million plus pageviews that HP draws each month.

Is this a niche in Hawaii's media landscape that needed filling? Will Huffington Post Hawaii trend toward what people in Hawaii want to read, or what people outside the islands want to read about Hawaii?

Re: Huffington Post Hawaii Launches

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Is this a niche in Hawaii's media landscape that needed filling? Will Huffington Post Hawaii trend toward what people in Hawaii want to read, or what people outside the islands want to read about Hawaii?
    I'd hope that they would cater to what people in Hawaii want to read, but if $$ talks, will they have a larger readership from those who want to learn about Hawaii and thus cater to them instead?

Although if they are headed into the territory of attracting outsiders as readers, I'd bet a high percentage of the interest will be about the best hotels for the dollar, the cheapest flights, which beaches are the most beautiful, if we have sharks that bite, what are the favorite tourist attractions, and other "tourists" questions. I don't know of many outsiders that give much thought to our politics, school system problems, economy, etc. Unless it affects their own vacation or dreams of moving to Hawaii.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

This is interesting, and I'll be following it. Civil Beat is high quality journalism. However, this from Arianna,
      The Aloha spirit, which has made Hawaii such an oasis of unplugging and recharging, is after all the essence of the Third Metric, encapsulating well-being and our ability to wonder and give back.
      sounds like someone got a little tipsy and overly relaxed.
      Greg

Comment

Articles today include topics about:
        • Oprah's summary of living it rich in Hawaii (moonlight horseback rides to enjoy the moon, lazy afternoons comparing yesterday's sunset to today's, big veggie garden). Actually, I'm jealous about all of that.
        • Misconceptions about Hawaii.
        • 10 tourist mistakes.
        • Lodging.
        • Cost of living.
        • Grassroots group.
        • WW ll missing Japanese.
        • In flight entertainment.
        • And a few more, mostly tourist/visitor based info type articles.

From what I've seen today, it is geared towards mainland readers who want to learn more about Hawaii prior to a vacation.

Comment

Several of my ad agency clients attended the Huffpost Hawaii launch event the other night. My guess is you're right, Amati!

Comment

Sampling of topics from today:

"Your Hawaii Vacation Will Look NOTHING Like This" (photos you'll never take)
            Lava video
            GMO
            Surfing
            Yoga poses on the beach

Comment

Working...
            X