What is the right thing to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the right thing to do?

I am having some work done around the fale and the cost will be in four figures. I have decided to use a company that has done a lot of work in the neighborhood over the last five years with very satisfactory results at a fair price. The owner of the company wants to be paid in cash at completion of the work which will take about three days. I doubt he has a contractor's license. I highly suspect he works in cash to avoid paying Federal and State taxes and avoid providing benefits to his immigrant employees.

What is the right thing to do?

- I can insist on paying him with a check which may or may not force him to comply with all laws

- I can pay him in cash and not worry about it. It is not my job to police the world

- I can use some other contractor who may or may not comply with all laws at probably a higher cost to me

- I can forget about doing any work at the fale and the economy will suffer to some small extent because I am not keeping money in circulation in these tough times

Let's make this an interesting discussion because I don't think there is any one right answer.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: What is the right thing to do?

I do not allow any workers onto my property unless they have full insurance, including protection for the homeowner in case they get hurt "on the job" while "on my property". The last thing I need is to have a casual worker fall off a ladder and I am held responsible for his medical bills and future income if he cannot return to work.

There are many guidelines online, here is a quick google result from EZineArticles:

Before you let that plumber or landscaper or any type of repair worker begin a job at your home, you should first determine that they have insurance protection so that if someone is injured, or your property is damaged, you don't have to file anything under your homeowners insurance policy. Or worse yet, find out that the loss is not covered by your home insurance, leaving you holding the bag. Simply ask them to have a certificate of insurance sent to you. This is a simple task, all the contractor will have to do is ask his insurance agent to email, fax or mail you a copy of this certificate.
    check and be sure that there is a policy number showing in the General Liability Insurance Section and in the section for Workers Compensation Insurance. These are the policy types that will be most important to homeowners.
    My interests in his business lie in how it affects ME. In the process of protecting myself, I weed out many of the illegal businesses. I look at the big picture, is saving some bucks worth it to deal with someone might become a nightmare to my finances if an injury or damage occurs. NO.
    Last edited by Amati; October 10, 2013, 03:51 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
    X