Star Bulletin archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Bulletin archives

Does anybody know where the Star Bulletin archives are? I want to get a copy of a picture that ran in the SB November 9 1947. I tried to email the Star Advertiser but they never answered.

Thanks
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Re: Star Bulletin archives

They're online, but not yet that far back. If you're not in a hurry, I've got a project coming up that will have me at the Kaimuki Library for some time in the next couple of weeks. Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If you are in the State of Hawaii perhaps the library closes to you might have a copy on microfilm.

Comment

While you'll definitely be able to find that photo in the microfiche section of any library, the quality of the photo will be very poor.

What I think 68-eldo is looking for is the newspaper's morgue, specifically the photo archives where they keep the negatives (or digital files) of all photographs ever taken, including photos that were never used. In the Star-Bulletin's case, I think that's been a point of contention ever since Gannett bought the Star-Bulletin and kept the photo archives (a valuable historical resource). When David Black bought the Star-Bulletin and resurrected it, they didn't have access to their own photo archives. When David Black bought the Advertiser in 2010 (a big surprise) and consolidated it to the Star Advertiser, they presumably got back control of the photo archives.

At least, that's what I remember. Some other people who used to post here, but don't anymore, know a lot more than I do.

I would suggest you try contacting the Star Advertiser again (or Oahu Publications). I vaguely remember that the newspaper morgue has always been difficult for researchers to access. Good luck.

Comment

Well that's certainly different from what I thought the question was.

So, a couple of points. First, you can't get the newspaper archives at just any of the local libraries. You sorta have to go to the regional libraries: State, Pearl City, Kaimuki. Second, if you change your mind, just let me know. I love combing through the microfilm.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I do have the pictures from the micro film at the library and they are poor at best. I am looking for much better pictures I can use (with proper credit) on a project.

I made a typo in my first post, the picture I want is in the Nov. 9 1949 SB, but once I find the pictures I hope to be able to use some from 1947 and 1949.

I was kind of hoping the pictures were given to the UH or something.

Thanks again.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Another avenue to try may be the Hawaii State Archive. They mostly have government documents, but they do also have a photo collection and perhaps old newspapers. A few years ago I went through their archive of statehood day photographs, made copy prints of them with my digital camera and I was good to go.

http://ags.hawaii.gov/archives/
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks Mel.
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                X