Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tofu - It's not just for breakfast!

What are your creative uses for tofu?

A week ago, a neighbor gifted matapule ohana with some homemade chocolate truffles. The chocolate covering was smooth, creamy, chocolaty, and firm over a chocolate/raspberry center. They were as good as anything we had purchased at Costco or Trader Joes in the past. We were quite surprised when the neighbor told us the primary ingredient was TOFU!

Matapule like tofu as much as nex guy, but dis take tofu to a whole new lebel! Matapule gonna hab to get recipe from neighbor holo, holo.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: Tofu - It's not just for nothing!

Isn't tofu pretty much hamburger helper without the hamburger and taste?
    As long as you can't detect it then there may be a use for tofu, and combining it with berries is a good start but it'll take a lot of berries.
    Putting it in scones would be a good idea, nobody should eat a scone either.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Tofu - It's not just for breakfast!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      What are your creative uses for tofu?.
      2 favorites:

Tofu stir fry (usually most of the flavor is in the sauce, so tofu adds some protein in yummy bites).

Tofu Gau Gee (if properly spiced, it can replace the pork/sausage, and I've yet to meet anyone who "noticed" the switch until told).
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Kung Pao Tofu over a bed of brown rice at the Whole Foods hot food bar. YUMMMM! It's also good in smoothies to add protein and creaminess. Plain tofu...not kung pao!

Comment

I'm old school. Two of my favorite tofu dishes:

Cold Tofu (Hiyayakko)--simply, cold tofu, cubed and topped with a variety of ingredients, but usually: shoyu, katsuobushi (dried skipjack tuna flakes), grated ginger, and finely chopped green onions. Very good as pupu with beer.

Pork Tofu--I think this is an old-style, basically local dish. Many different varitions, but usually: strips of pork, tofu, some kind of vegetable (watercress is perfect, but also Choi Sum or any of a number of chinese greens), ginger, shitake mushroom, shoyu, lots of green onions roughly chopped, maybe carrots and celery. Stir fried and served over rice. Simple, cheap, and oh so ono!

Note: when I was growing up, I never considered tofu as "health" food. I just considered it just one of many ingreditents. In other words, it was just "food." It wasn't until the 1970s (or more likely 1980s) when it became known as a healthy alternative to meat, and inventive ways of using it was being devised (i.e., something serious meat eaters should be looking out for and denouncing). Tofu gets a bad rap. But personally, I love it!

Comment

Tofu in scrambled eggs are a match for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Tofu in scrambled eggs are a match for breakfast.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

I forgot to add the green onions.

Comment

5 unexpected breakfast foods eaten by the healthiest people in the world (yahoo.com)

Tofu in Miso soup for breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                X