E-reader suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-reader suggestions?

I simply downloaded Kindle-for-free on my PC from Amazon.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      I simply downloaded Kindle-for-free on my PC from Amazon.
      I think that is Kindle for PC, which is one of 11 Kindle Reading Apps from Amazon. I use that, too. It's a nice program.
      Greg

Comment

I use it too, and also one for a Mac, and also for one on my iPhone. The problem is that none of those behaves anything close to a book. For the amount of reading I do, I need multiple options and all kinds of portability and flexibility.

Placed my order today and opted for free shipping, so it could be a while.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Coming late to this, but would've recommended the Kindle Paperwhite, too. $119, $20 more to remove ads, for a fantastic, small device with a nice readable screen, and nearly unending battery life. Even though my wife has an iPad and a Kindle Fire, the Paperwhite is the one that does the e-reading thing best.

Interestingly it wouldn't have even occurred to me to go to a store to buy one. It's an Amazon product, after all. Glad I didn't even try Best Buy!

Comment

The suggestion to go to Best Buy was to physically check out both devices and see how they feel.

Comment

It's not too late to add comments. I'm still in the "helper mode", collecting information. The person who wants the E-reader is not able to easily get to stores, so I'm helping long distance (with probable online purchase).

Ease of use is important, and not having too many buttons to push or "confusing" options to work through. Think of an advanced age person with some eyesight problems.

Thanks for your help so far, I'm paying attention to your suggestions.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                Ease of use is important, and not having too many buttons to push or "confusing" options to work through.
                The PW (Paperwhite) has only one button, for on-off, and if you buy an accessory case with the "auto wake" feature (around $40), you don't even need to use that one button, since opening the case cover turns the device on and closing it turns the device off.

The charge cable uses a micro usb connector which is awfully tiny. My eyesight is not good enough to tell easily what the right way to plug it in is, so I just turn it over and try the other way if my first attempt is not working.

My mother in her later years had macular degeneration and could not read a computer screen, no matter how bright, how much contrast, or how big the letters. She could read a newspaper with difficulty, but not a screen, for some reason. But if your friend has some facility with a computer for email or web browsing, I think the PW user interface, which uses the touch screen only, would not cause a problem.
                Greg

Comment

Yes, she can still see her computer screen, and still read a paper-printed book and newspaper. Things aren't as clear to her as before, but I'm hopeful that an ereader with proper lighting will work well.

I'll check with her local library and see what sort of ebooks they have, perhaps they don't have a large list for every type of reader.
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have the original Kindle Paperwhite model, PW1. The version of Paperwhite now being sold, the PW2, has several improvements, according to reports. It is rumored here, http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/ama...rly-next-year/ that a new version PW3 will come out this Spring. I decided to cancel my order for a PW2 and wait for the PW3 (which has not been announced -- so who knows?).
                      Greg

Comment

Working...
                      X