Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Exclamation Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Gov. Neil Abercrombie is seeking re-election, facing state Sen. David Ige in the Democratic Primary. Former lieutenant governor Duke Aiona is expected to run as a Republican. And former mayor Mufi Hanneman is mulling a run as a member of the Hawaii Independent Party.

Who would you like to see in the Governor's Office? Or, as is usually easier to answer, who's the last person you'd like to see in the state's top post?

Default Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    who's the last person you'd like to see in the state's top post?
    Ige's the only one with his head above that cesspool, and only because I know nothing about him.

My suggestion is for Hanohano to run. It's just so crazy that it just might work. Some people say that we need a real man like her.

From afar: Hanohano
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

NOT Aiona. Heard too much dirt on him.
    NOT Hanneman - I remember his politics from when he was mayor.

Hanohano? The racist?

Re-elect Neil.
    Last edited by Kaonohi; February 22nd, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Lightbulb Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Re-elect Neil.
    No one stands out in this race yet. All the current candidates (or should I say “usual suspects”) I am not impressed with. Still hoping for a dark horse to declare. Neil made quite an embarrassment of his first term, so it’s interesting a critic like Kaonohi would throw his support behind the guy. I’m curious as to why.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Hanohano will be our mayor of Toronto, but as gov. That will make me smile.

Not Mufi Hanneman. He tried to win a past campaign by accusing Abercrombie of having smoked marijuana as a student. What a jerk. It was awhile back, but I haven't forgotten.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
    accusing Abercrombie of having smoked marijuana as a student.
    At least, it's better than um..............................................cr ack!

Wink Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Ige unhappy with Democratic speech snub
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ic-speech-snub

"A gubernatorial candidate is mad about a democratic diss. State Senator David Ige claims it's because Governor Neil Abercrombie is scared of him. Right now candidate Ige will not be able to give a speech at the Democratic convention, but there is a chance he may still get to take the podium."

Anderson Joins Ige Seeking Speech Time at Democratic Party Convention
    http://hawaii.news.blogs.civilbeat.c...-at-democratic

"Anderson’s request, issued today, follows demands made this week by state Sen. David Ige to also be allowed to deliver a speech. Ige, who is challenging Gov. Neil Abercrombie, was told by party officials that candidates running for statewide office would not be allowed to address the convention from the podium, as has been customary."

Thumbs down Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    State Senator David Ige claims it's because Governor Neil Abercrombie is scared of him ... Ige, who is challenging Gov. Neil Abercrombie, was told by party officials that candidates running for statewide office would not be allowed to address the convention from the podium, as has been customary.
    Is anyone surprised? As you note, only Donna Kim will be allowed to address the convention among ALL of the congressional candidates as well. Neil has probably already made a deal with Kim on numerous issues, bills and campaign finance and is now ensuring she gets elected to solidify his fiefdom. As the old saying goes: Power Corrupts Absolutely.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

The same kind of crap happens at the Hawaii Republican conventions too. The favored son (daughter) for whatever big showcase race gets to speak but the challenger does not. It is frustrating.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Heard this guy on the radio the other nite and sounded pretty damn good http://www.jeffdavisgovernor.com/
    Anybody know about him?

Exclamation Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

Mufi Hannemann announces candidacy for Hawaii governor's race
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...mufi-hannemann

"'I'm very pleased to announce my candidacy today as a member of the Hawaii Independent Party,' Hannemann told Hawaii News Now. 'We plan to offer the voters a clear alternative to improve the state of Hawaii.' In making the announcement, Hannemann joins an already crowded race for the office currently held by Gov. Neil Abercrombie, one that will also feature State Senator David Ige and, should he formally declare his candidacy, former state Lieutenant Governor Duke Aiona."

Why after kicking the homeless hornet's nest to start the ball rolling into the blight we have now without any plan to aid, or his blatant indiscriminant use of rail as his big in for election to the Mayor's seat when he couldn't care less how useless and bad it could be for the island would any party even consider his name? Maybe because there are plenty of jackasses still willing to vote for him?

Shocked but glad to see this development in the race http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/06/ige...overnors-race/

Is there a HateAbercrombie website?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ton-california

This guy should run for governor. He's so dreamy.

Exclamation Re: Hawaii Governor's Race 2014

I'm pretty damn skeptical of polls, but the Civil Beat poll was reasonably structured, and they made a good point when they noted there was a lot of doubt about polls that showed Tulsi Gabbard with unexpected strength in 2011, and she went on to upset Mufi Hanneman. The Ige campaign -- or, really, the anti-Abercrombie sentiment -- feels similar.

Ige's campaign is being powered by the same fuel that made Tulsi victorious in '12. The unpopularity of their opponent.

Abercrombie's re-election bid is in serious jeopardy right now. Ige sitting on a double digit lead, despite being vastly outspent by the incumbent and with very little TV/radio advertisement? The pundits can say all they want about Ige's polling lead as being "soft." They can talk all they want about Neil's 40+ years of mostly-successful campaigning, as if that means he still has a trick or two up his sleeve to play. What those poly-sci professors and political analysts fail to recognize is this: If a person who formerly voted for someone decides to withdraw their support, there's a reason. Mufi has already experienced voter alienation. Neil is about to get his first taste of it. And with the primary election date less than two months away, Neil won't have enough time to mend those fences.

Like the Mufster in 2010, Neil has proven to be his own worst enemy. Casting suspicion on Dan Inouye's deathbed letter, sparring with the Legislature in a condescending tone over the budget... these tactics have all backfired on the governor and have turned attitudes of disappointment into despisal.

Mark my words. Neil is toast. Ige will advance to the general election where he will duke it out (pardon the pun) with Aiona in the general election, while Mufi plays the role of spoiler.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Today's SA headline was a welcome sight - Ige Surges Ahead Of Abercrombie (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and it look's like history is in the making with the first Hawaii Gov. to be tossed on their can in a primary. Couldn't happen to a bigger bum in these parts.
    Aiona seems to be making a dent too amidst the early goings, but I doubt many will appreciate his God over all else ideology, to say the least.

Hawaii: Where good polling goes to die
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g-goes-to-die/

Polling in Hawaii — and especially primary polling — is notoriously unreliable. And we don't mean off-by-a-few points unreliable. We mean often vastly different-from-the-final-result unreliable.

How good was Abercrombie's acting chops as a cab driver?

Interesting seeing signs for Abercrombie suddenly disappearing across town and even replaced with Ige signs at some residences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast