Driveway Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveway Songs

I'm not sure if it was NPR or its listeners who coined the term driveway moment to describe moments when what was on the radio was so interesting, listeners stay in their cars to hear the whole thing despite already having parked at their destinations, but it's a great phrase to describe something I think we can all relate to, if not with NPR specifically, but with whatever is on the radio.

A few years ago, I realized I had some driveway songs, songs that keep me in the car until their completion, no matter how many times I've heard them or whether or not I own copies of them.

Here are my driveway songs:
    "Roll with the Changes" by REO Speedwagon,
    "Radar Love" by Golden Earring,
    "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits,
    "Roundabout" by Yes,
    "Come Sail Away" by Styx,
    and one more whose title is escaping me for some reason. I know there are six.

I would probably add Bruce Springsteen's "The River" to that list, but that song never comes up on the radio.

So what are yours?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Driveway Songs

I think the 'driveway moments' effect is getting more and more rare as fewer people listen to live radio. Waiting to hear the end of a story is common for me, but less so for a song. I think it's because many songs don't so much 'end' as they fade or crossfade out, either as designed or because of the broadcaster.

I can say that I'm not allowed to turn off "Let It Go" if it's playing in the car, if the kids are in the back seat.

Comment

Have you taken them to see that yet? You should. It got a lot of Oscar love last night.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Walking in Memphis by Mark Cone! BTW, I played the outro at the end of the medley I posted a little while ago! I'd love to find out how many of the songs you all could recognize!
        'Alika

Comment

The best part of the Oscars was Travolta's renaming of Idina Menzel, giving us the Travolta Name Generator.

But back on topic, your question made me wonder what others might think are songs with the best endings might be. Of course, if a song doesn't just fade out, you'll be more likely to stick around to hear the final verse.

Songs With the Best Ending
          http://www.thetoptens.com/songs-with-best-ending/

Best Outro Or Ending To A Song?
          http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/28072/

The Top 10 Best Ending Songs Of All Time
          http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/b...blogs/members/

Looks like "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles is a top pick from the former two lists, the last link being more contemporary.

Comment

Man, that's an interesting topic I had never even considered. The song that leapt to mind was "Hotel California" (number three on the first list), but when you mentioned "A Day in the Life," I knew that was going to be the most popular.

I wouldn't even go with that as the best Beatles ending, as great as it is. My favorite ending to a Beatles song is "The Long and Winding Road." It's the (next to) last song on what would be their last studio album, and honestly it sounds like a funeral song for the greatest rock and roll band in history.

And the way it ends? Amazing. The band had been criticized (unfairly) for juvenile lyrics early in its career, particularly the "yeah yeah yeah" on "She Loves You," and as "The Long and Winding Road" winds down to its conclusion (it was the last single released by The Beatles while all four members were sill alive), Paul sings a wistful, semi-sarcastic, beautiful "yeah yeah yeah, YEAH." It's not only a beautiful end to a beautiful song; it's a beautiful end to the greatest career by a pop group ever.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was always fond of 'Paperback Writer' .
              courtesy of the Beatles.

Then there was 'Born to be Wild' from Steppenwolf
              and let's see , hmmm
              'Volunteers' by the Jefferson Airplane.
              Last edited by lensperson; March 9, 2014, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Sorry; I'm a little unclear. Is your list a list of driveway songs or a list of songs with great endings? I always thought the end of "Penny Lane" was kind of weak. It's just a kind of disconnected repeat of the lyric "Penny Lane" one more time.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  A few years ago, I realized I had some driveway songs, songs that keep me in the car until their completion, no matter how many times I've heard them or whether or not I own copies of them.
                  Olomana - Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u
                  Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
                  John Lennon - (Just Like) Starting Over
                  The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band - Moonlight Lady
                  Cat Stevens - Wild World
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I had forgotten how Moonlight Lady could transport me to better places and better spaces.

Moonlight Lady will lift ones spirit.

Good call, Amati !

Comment

Working...
                    X