Moving Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Back

I'm Stephen and I'm originally from TX. My wife was born in Honolulu and grew up in Kalihi Valley. I met her when I was stationed at Schofield Barracks back in the late 80's / early 90's. We've been back and forth between Houston and Honolulu for the past 5 years, staying anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years at a time, but we are about to come back to stay, hopefully for good this time, and I'm very much looking forward to it

During my stay here between 2008 - 2010, I was fortunate enough to meet a lot of great people, no doubt some of which are members of this forum. I hated leaving and I am very happy to be coming back in the July/August timeframe.

Re: Moving Back

It'll be great to have you back, SLM. I never got to meet you the last time you were here despite also living in Kalihi. Anything in particular you are looking most forward to?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      It'll be great to have you back, SLM. I never got to meet you the last time you were here despite also living in Kalihi. Anything in particular you are looking most forward to?
      Thanks. It is odd that we never met since I virtually know you .

I am looking forward to quite a lot of things. But the laid back atmosphere and food are definitely high on the list. There are a few places around here where you can get pseudo local food, but you won't find tako poke, squid luau, opihi or poi anywhere in Houston. I look forward to going to Highway Inn in Kaka'ako instead of driving all the way to Waipahu.

I also miss the techi social gatherings. Seems like Manoa Geeks is a thing of the past and Wet Ware Wednesdays have filled in, but I still miss the combination of artistic & tech that Manoa Geeks had.

I'll be staying in Kalihi for 4 to 6 weeks after I get there, so maybe we could meet for lunch one day.

Comment

Good to see you here, SLM! And I definitely hope to catch you at the considerably greater diversity of meetups in Honolulu soon. Thanks for remembering Manoa Geeks... before there was an officially recognized and bustling startup/entrepreneurial community here.

You know Honolulu pretty well. Do you know where you'll settle? Always love hearing what neighborhoods appeal to people and why.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          Good to see you here, SLM! And I definitely hope to catch you at the considerably greater diversity of meetups in Honolulu soon. Thanks for remembering Manoa Geeks... before there was an officially recognized and bustling startup/entrepreneurial community here.

You know Honolulu pretty well. Do you know where you'll settle? Always love hearing what neighborhoods appeal to people and why.
          Took me a minute to figure out who you are. I didn't recognize the handle and I almost didn't recognize your non-barbigerous countenance

We haven't yet decided where we'll try to settle, but we'll definitely be renting for a couple of years. We are pretty wide open since I work from home. Our primary purpose for moving back is so that my wife can be closer to her mom, so anywhere on the island is going to beat Houston, TX for that.

At first, I was looking at a couple of hi-rises over by Ala Moana and some downtown, but I'm thinking that my wife's two little dogs would make that pretty inconvenient for us. I'm not thrilled with the idea of dogs on elevators 3 times per day. I like the idea of Kaneohe since it is quiet, pretty and just a short over the mountains from family and has multiple alternate routes in and out. I have not forgotten about the traffic. If I could find a comfortable place far enough up in the Valley then Kalihi would be ok. But I'm thinking about Mililani too. Much cooler up there as I recall. I haven't entirely ruled out Kapolei or Makakilo, but that just seems so far away. I'd like to be able to go down and work at The Box Jelly a couple of days per week if possible, but I doubt that I would if I had to spend 2 hours of it sitting in traffic.

I'm planning to try and find an agent or service that can help me locate a comfortable place that is pet friendly that I can probably move into around Sept. 1. If you have recommendations for who I might contact for rental property hunting then please let know.

Comment

Working...
          X