Ferry experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferry experiences?

With the disaster in S Korea this week surrounding the question as to wheather the load in the hold shifted causing the ferry to list I wondered if anyone had ever the experience or knowledge of how the loading proceedure was done on the Super Ferry while it was in operation. On commercial car ships I have seen pictures of tie-downs used to hold vehicles to the deck. I have never had this done on ferry boats I have been on, however. The roughest crossing I have ever experienced was on Lake Erie. All that was done on those trips was to place the transmission in park (or in gear) and set the parking brake. Maybe in the end a disaster was avoided out there given the speed the ferry was capable of traveling.
    Come to think of it there were no detailed safety drills on the ferries I have been on either. And most of the life boats were rafts in those orange barrels strapped on deck...similar to those on the Korean boat from what I heard.
    Mahalo
    Rush

Re: Ferry experiences?

Was the vessel used in the South Korean ferry a single hulled vessel or was it a catamaran type hull?

Comment

There was talk that the ferry had been 'modified' to allow more passengers.
      The Capt. could well end up executed for this horrific and needless mess.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

From the photos that I have seen of the capsized ferry it appears to be a single hulled vessel.

Comment

It's now said they did not make any sharp turn that could have destabilized the vessel with shifted cargo, and there's no known reefs or mounds to encounter in the normal route areas, but may have gone off course and found something to hit.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

And I have most recently seen interest shift to the millionare owner of the ferry boat. He would be responcible for the addition to the top decks of ship.

Comment

What if a ferry designer could adapt the high tech sails off Larry Ellison's boats to provide a more green concept of transport between islands?
              Noone would have to be in any hurry for sure if headed east!

Comment

Working...
              X