X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha `oe, Uncle Dennis Kamakahi

From David Kamakahi:

Aloha Everyone.

This is the most difficult post I've ever had to make. Hawaii has lost one of its greatest sons today. Legendary musician & composer, loving husband, father, and grandfather, Dennis David Kamakahi , passed away at the Queens Medical Center at 4:30pm. After his battle with cancer, he was surrounded by family and close friends, with the background filled with the music of Gabby Pahinui and The Sons of Hawaii. We cried, we prayed, we laughed, we sang for him his many songs that he wrote and also favorites of his own. Memorial services have not been set at this time. We will post any updates through www.teamdenniskamakahi.com.

We, the family, understand the need for his fans around the world to say their farewells. We invite you to post any messages for him or our family on his Facebook page. We appreciate all your support during this journey, we love you all. Our family is not prepared for any press statements at this time. Please respect our privacy during this difficult time. Aloha Ke Akua - God is Love.

Re: Aloha `oe, Uncle Dennis Kamakahi

What a loss. Just a few weeks ago there was so much hope and support and a wonderful fundraiser to support his fight.

Now what an outpouring of love along with the loss. Hearing his music on the radio and online, reading so many stories and memories. For sure he'll inspire more wonderful music for generations.

Comment

I've expressed my admiration here on HT for Dennis Kamakahi more than once. I had no interactions with him outside of just being in the audience at several of his performances, but the man was such a presence, even among some of the legends of his field. If you've ever been to one of the Ki Hoalu festivals he played at, you could just feel the respect all the musicians had for him.

It wasn't just the hat, or the all-black attire, although they were certainly kind of symbolic of his presence. There was the way people made room for him, on stage and within the performance of a song. It was a deference paid by some musicians who are usually the recipients of that deference in most other settings.

I feel so lucky to have heard him play.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was so honored to have been in his presence on multiple occasions, from emceeing his shows, to assisting with tour production, to sharing meals and celebrating milestones with him. I'd like to share two memories.

On one occasion, after assisting him (along with John Keawe & Charles Recaido) on a multi-city tour, the night of the last gig he asked if I had my bass guitar with me. Having played for our halau at earlier shows, I did, and I assumed he was going to ask me to lend it to Charles to play that night. Instead, he shocked me by asking ME to play on the final number (Wai O Ke Aniani) along with him and the other guitarists. I had only been playing for a year or so at that point, and while my mind whirled with concerns as to whether or not I could do it, I found myself realizing that such an opportunity might never come up again, and said "yes." The confidence he showed in me that night has never been forgotten.

That same tour, we played a special event in the town of Kalama, WA (he has a song that tells the history of the town's founders and why there is Hawaiian koko flowing through the local Nisqually tribe), celebrating the shared heritage; one of the elders of the tribe (herself a granddaughter of John Kalama from Maui) told Uncle Dennis that she would pass before him, which she did - but that when his time came, she would be waiting for him and pulling on the strong rope that would help carry him across to the other side. I take comfort in the thought that she has fulfilled her promise.

Aloha `oe, Uncle. Truly a legend.

Comment

And now the news today that musician Chino Montero has gone as well. Aue!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            And now the news today that musician Chino Montero has gone as well. Aue!
            "In the midst of life, we are in death."

Yet spirit survives, not only in the afterlife, but in the hearts and minds of those who can never forget.

Aloha 'oe, Dennis and Chino.

Many of our icons are of 'that age.' Be prepared.
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Many of our icons are of 'that age.' Be prepared.
              It's been particularly rough - in addition to these gentlemen, musicians with whom I have shared a stage or two, we've recently lost four other musicians from our Seattle-area community, three of them folks who played Hawaiian music. I've been fortunate to learn from each and every one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                From David Kamakahi:

Aloha Everyone.

This is the most difficult post I've ever had to make. Hawaii has lost one of its greatest sons today. Legendary musician & composer, loving husband, father, and grandfather, Dennis David Kamakahi , passed away at the Queens Medical Center at 4:30pm. After his battle with cancer, he was surrounded by family and close friends, with the background filled with the music of Gabby Pahinui and The Sons of Hawaii. We cried, we prayed, we laughed, we sang for him his many songs that he wrote and also favorites of his own. Memorial services have not been set at this time. We will post any updates through www.teamdenniskamakahi.com.

We, the family, understand the need for his fans around the world to say their farewells. We invite you to post any messages for him or our family on his Facebook page. We appreciate all your support during this journey, we love you all. Our family is not prepared for any press statements at this time. Please respect our privacy during this difficult time. Aloha Ke Akua - God is Love.
                What a terrible loss! Let's be sure to keep his music alive!
                'Alika

Comment

Working...
                X