Big capacity disk drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big capacity disk drives

My kind of new desktop computer sort of crapped out this week. Seems to be a disk drive issue.

Currently using my laptop to do a Windows CHKDSK command on the desktop disk drive (which I was able to remove from the desktop and using an external SATA device to interface with the drive). The desktop disk drive is a 1.0 Terabyte drive (1024 Gbytes = 1 Terabyte). I started the process last night and it is still on going. In fact the Windows 8.1 CHKDSK command is quoting an estimated run time of another 48 hours left to do.

I used to remember dealing with CHKDSK on 120 Gbyte disk drives, would take 4 to 6 hours to do.

Re: Big capacity disk drives

I hope the days of spinning platter disks are in their sunset years. I love SSDs, so fast and durable... but of course the price per gigabyte is pretty high.

Comment

I do have a couple of netbooks that had 16GB SSD on them, but those were purchased in 2008, I suspect now that they would have higher capacity to them.

In any event the process of checking the 1TB drive is on its 3-1/2 day mark and now the ETA to finish the job is at 132 hours or 5-1/2 days.

I guess I need to say Woe is me!

Comment

I added an external 2 TB sata drive to my dvr over 2 years ago without doing a surface scan. It's been running 24/7 since then with no apparent problem. (It's this drive, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX.)
        Greg

Comment

Due to me screwing around with the laptop on other things I was forced to reboot the laptop last night. So the process is not completed and I think I need to either buy another hard drive or just get another new desktop.

Comment

Ended up buying a new computer. The old disk drive is still there and still needs to be either fixed or get the old data from it. One of these days I should get another hard drive for the old computer since that is still working. I suppose I could run some version of Linux on it.

Comment

I have two previous generations of old broken computers with probably functional disk drives, and one of these days I'll try to retrieve some of that old data. Not. Currently, though, I tuck away info that I really don't want to lose on the web somewhere. If it's just a bit of text, I email it to myself -- then it goes into my ISP's email archive. Amazon's cloud is another place I can email to for archiving.
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                I hope the days of spinning platter disks are in their sunset years. I love SSDs, so fast and durable... but of course the price per gigabyte is pretty high.
                The price on SSDs are coming down and will eventually lead to the extinction of widespread demand for conventional HDs.

But SSDs don't last forever. And when it does fail, you SOL if you didn't back it up.

With HDDs, you could at least try an old trick by putting it in a ziplock bag and popping it in a freezer for a few hours. Afterwards, plug it back in and,... voila! It might start working again long enough for you to make a backup copy.

Don't know of any similar trick for a dead SSD.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                X