Old KITV Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old KITV Photos

I uploaded some old KITV photos this morning in one of my albums.

Also posted some original Oceanic Cablevision photos.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Re: Old KITV Photos

Thanks for sharing those old photos with us. I was only a kid when KITV was KHVH TV. Has always been an ABC affiliate from that long ago. Used to watch "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "Captain Honolulu" on that channel. I barely remember "Hawaii AM" and "Hawaii PM" since they were talking head shows that I was not interested in at the time.

As for Oceanic Cable, I used to like them back in the 1980s when I first subscribed to cable and they only had 36 channels, analog only. Cable TV was only $12.99 a month then.

After prices of cable soared to $63 for 78 channels of analog, and after my analog TV died I decided not to buy another TV and cut the cable cord in 2011.

Today I watch TV with OTA antenna connected to a tiny set someone gave to me + streaming content on my computer. Good enough. Less costly.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I had my first job at KHVH-TV while serving with the U.S. Air Force at Hickam. My military job was radio/TV production and I was tasked by the Air Force to provide pool radio coverage of the Apollo 10 and later 11 missions. The Navy picked up the capsule and delivered it to Hickam for transport back to Houston.

I setup on the roof of the Base Operations building for radio coverage and we were on almost all the Hawaii radio stations. KHVH-TV was providing the TV pool coverage and during the event they had some audio difficulties. Since they were also taking my radio feed they simply patched my feed into the TV feed. Had I known at the time that I was providing nationwide coverage I would probably have freaked out.

After the event my boss told me to go change into civilian clothes as he wanted to take me to the Officer's Club and had someone that wanted to meet me. When I got to the club I found out that the person wanting to meet me was the owner of KHVH. He asked if I would be interested in a part-time job and my boss said it would be OK. I wound up working as a studio camera operator at KHVH-TV from 1969 to 1970.

Had to quit when I was deployed to Vietnam for my last tour of duty. After leaving service in 1971 I returned to Honolulu and worked for Alan Roycroft at Broadcast Services for a while before doing some on-air work at KCCN, K108, KAIM, and a few others and working with Oceanic Cablevision for their startup. Installed 13-gHz microwave relays between the headend and Maunakapu, Mililana Town, and Northshore.

I kind of missed TV so applied at all the TV stations and wound up working for KGMB-TV in videotape operations. Very hectic job since all the commercials were on two-inch video tape and we only had five tape playback machines.

I spent a eight years back in Honolulu and my last couple of years was back at KITV doing master control, tape playback, technical director for studio and remote productions. Chuck Hartman was the Chief Engineer back then. Great guy and treated his employees great.

I did some contract engineering work for several Oahu radio stations and also KUAI on Kauai.

Just for grins I worked for a short time as a Reserve Honolulu Police Officer.

My wife and I get to come back to Hawaii occasionally as my wife's family is from Oahu. She is Japanese but born and raised in Hawaii. We usually stay at Hale Koa in Waikiki on our visits.

My wife's cousin owns Ono Hawaii Food on Kapahulu Ave. Small place but ONO food!

Take care my friend and have a blessed day.

Steve

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/41587491/...-cable-to-1004

Kitv channel 4 where we be talking about tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X