Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Places to eat that are gone but not forgotten...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to eat that are gone but not forgotten...

What places have you gone to, in the past that you either went a few times, or once or twice, that you miss, & no longer there .

At least the sign is still there, & not been removed. I miss McCully Chopsui. (I think that's how its spelled) , & that restaurant inside woolworth.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Places to eat that are gone but not forgotten...

I liked McCully Chop Suey too, glad the neon and such was retained but the little diner next to the corner market on McCully has been torn down and now I've forgotten the owner's/diner's name. Bill's?
    The long pau Kuhio Grill further down King St. past University was classic local atmosphere.
    The 'lulu Flamingo Cafe's, especially the Ala Moana locale, were special.
    There was a famed corner diner across from the harbor fire dept. at Maunakea and Nimitz that was great, forgot that name too.
    The Chuckwagon was tasty and affordable.
    Chucky's by the old stadium, Elvis ate there.
    Plenty more, too many to probably list, but momentarily they are indeed forgotten.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's been years since I left the O'ahu but I still fondly remember...

Tasty Chop Suey on Kam IV road - Best Wor Gow Gi Min
      The Original Hamburger Mary's - Best burgers in Waikiki
      The Ranch House in Aina Haina - Loved getting toys out of the treasure chest
      In and Out in Mililani - Best Teri chicken plate
      Casa Del Sol - Best Mexican food at the time
      The Old Buzz's Steakhouse in Pearl City when it was located accross the street from the HECO powerplant
      Not sure if it's still there, but the Shorebird in Waikiki when it had cook your own steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        There was a famed corner diner across from the harbor fire dept. at Maunakea and Nimitz that was great, forgot that name too.
        That one might be "Tasty Broiler" . . . maybe?
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
          Shorebird in Waikiki when it had cook your own steaks.
          The hotel is set to renovate the entire street level, Kanikapila Grill and The Shorebird will be gone. Thanx for remembering some great places!

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
          That one might be "Tasty Broiler" . . . maybe?
          Sure rings a bell, pk, I'll research that and I'll bet you're right. It seems that was a generic name used by many over the decades but it fits, this was many an old timer's fave. A friend took me there long ago saying it was her dad's favorite.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yakiniku House Osaka in Honolulu, grill at your own table, yummy! (late 1970s)

La Ronde revolving restaurant atop the Ala Moana Bldg, with 360 view. Good food, lounge area, and the perfect place for a date or to take mainland visitors.

Fisherman's Wharf, in the 1970s before it fell into disrepair, with good seafood at a decent price. Also, for awhile there was a good Chinese place there with a bit of an upscale menu.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              The hotel is set to renovate the entire street level, Kanikapila Grill and The Shorebird will be gone. Thanx for remembering some great places!
              Thanks for the Shorebird update!

As a teenage boy, on the weekends, my friends and I would park at DeRussy (when it was free all day), boogie board at Number Trees in the morning and catch the afternoon bikini contest at the Shorebird.

Those were the days

Comment

Working...
              X