X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makerspaces in Libraries?

Could Hawaii Libraries Be Makerspaces?
    http://www.hawaiitech.net/2015/01/08...y-makerspaces/

As libraries work hard to remain relevant in a digital, e-book age, some cities have expanded their offerings from books to a variety of creative tools for students and adults alike.

"Hawaii state libraries already have excellent Internet connectivity, and adding tools like 3-D printers or hosting workshops on Arduino electronics could greatly expand the educational opportunities available in a place already committed to a neighborhood’s access to knowledge."

American Library Association supports makerspaces in libraries
    http://www.ala.org/news/press-releas...aces-libraries

Re: Makerspaces in Libraries?

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    "Hawaii state libraries already have excellent Internet connectivity".
    The main pubic library has had endless problems with it's wireless service since being installed by differing personnel and then them disappearing without resolving the myriad problems such ad hoc installations can cause. The new IT says the whole mess needs to be ripped out and completely replaced.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know some of the possibilities have been floated on your radio program, and for the most part I see only positives, but a library is a library first; its value is in its availability. If none of the patrons ever take a look at the landlord-tenant code, for example, the libraries still need to have it available, and the public should be reminded that it's there for the public's reference, if it should ever need it (and of course it needs it).

Internet access falls right in line with the whole information thing. I'm a little iffy on the passport service. I think I'm okay with libraries turning into little satellite city halls (or whatever) as long as resources (including time, space, money, and accessibility) are not taken from a library's first priority.

It would seem to me that recreation centers would be a better spot for this, but parks and rec is even more shortly funded than our libraries, so maybe there just doesn't exist the kind of infrastructure a library already has in place. Still, it seems to me that would be a better solution to aim for.

And yeah. I know my booknerd bias is shining through. I'm okay with that.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The idea of libraries hosting Arduino workshops sounds useful. I gave a nephew an Arduino Uno for Christmas, hoping it would capture his imagination and orient him in a studious and constructive direction. We'll see. There's some Internet activity on this, also.
        Greg

Comment

Working...
        X