Flying Interisland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flying Interisland

Superferry prices each way will be $49 per person and $65 per standard size vehicle. The $49 is cheaper than the cheapest published air fare of $54, $59 or $64. And the chances of finding one of those seats on any local airline is slim. Most seats are selling for more than $64.

With the Superferry, people going to and from Maui currently have the best interisland deal. It still remains that Superferry will eventually tack on a fuel surcharge to all of their ticket prices sometime later this year.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I just booked my flights to Kona in mid-July: $94 over, $64 return + taxes for a total tariff of $176.00. OUCH! No more $39 one-way fares, much less the $29, $19, and even $9 fares (got that once for a round trip of $18 + taxes).

Looks like I have to combine the reasons for traveling and stay on the neighbor islands 4-5 days once instead of 2-3 days twice. I'm awaiting HSF's start of Honolulu-Kawaihae service in 2009. $200 RT may also allow me to take my car. Kawaihae is a great drop-off point for me to go either to Kona or Hilo.

Comment

Bumped!

Seems like inter-island flying is in for some changes in the coming months as Hawaiian Airlines and Island Air start flying ATR prop-jet aircraft.

Larry Ellison Buys Island Air

The much rumored sale became official today. Island Air will be upgrading its fleet from Dash 8's to larger ATR 42 and ATR 72 prop-jet aircraft. Their first ATR 72 will go into service this week after getting FAA approval.

And of course Hawaiian Airlines is getting back into the prop-jet arena with the leasing of 2 ATR-42s for the launch of their new airline subsidiary Ohana By Hawaiian. More information. | HNL Rare Birds blog

Both airlines with their ATR aircraft will probably increase and compete actively for service to and from Lanai and Molokai. Also in the mix is Mokulele Airlines with their smaller Cessna 208 Grand Caravan... as well as Pacific Wings who also fly Cessna 208 Grand Caravans.

The big question is with added competition what will the fares be like? Island Air says there won't be ridiculously low pricing.

In the overall scheme of inter-island air flying, Hawaiian Airlines is still the big boy on the block, flying their Boeing 717 jets to the major island airports (Lihue, Honolulu, Kahului, Kona, Hilo) charging any price they want to since Mesa's Go! doesn't seem to be much of a factor in the marketplace these days.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The acquiring of the airline company indicates some
          feeling for the dwellers on that noble Isle.

With that kind of capital the owner of the isle should supply daily free flights to
          Honolulu and Hilo.

The experience of seeing the islands from small jet planes is always cool.

Comment

Oops, I should add that the free flights should only be for citizens of Lanai.

This level of service can easily be brought to bear and probably will be soon.

The creative brains that crafted the internet will hopefully adopt these
            new flight plans.

Comment

The current population of Lanai is about three thousand.
              If one percent of those denizens showed up at the airport that would
              amount to about thirty people.
              At about a hundred dollars per per person round trip,
              that is only thirty thousand dollars.

A good Chieftain will protect his island.

Comment

Oops calculator battery failed.

If ten per cent of the population of Lanai were to appear at the airport
                on any given day, That would amount to 30 grand.

However, it remains very possible that an island can be transformed

with the help of a forward looking inhabitant.

I am sincerely hoping this will happen. it can with a little courage.

Do it. use the capital to improve a landscape.

Comment

Cheap inter-island flights could soon be coming to an end, travel experts predict (hawaiinewsnow.com)

One way ticket to paradise.

Comment

Working...
                  X