Parking: Nose-In vs. Back-In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking: Nose-In vs. Back-In?

It's kind of like the toilet paper roll "over v. under" debate, except in the case of parking styles, "back-in" (i.e. "tactical parking") people are in the clear minority. I'm a back-in parking person myself, so I was amused by this article that came up on Facebook recently:

People Who Back Into Parking Spaces Can Kiss My Ass

I most certainly don't feel as strongly about this as he does, but having read that, I felt even greater resolve to stick with my habit!

From the other side:

You're Parking Wrong

I definitely think "back-in" parking is more common in Hawaii than elsewhere, mostly because whenever I get into this particular conversation, it's with someone with more experience driving and parking on the mainland U.S. On the other hand, I'm told "back-in" parking is normal or even the norm in Japan and parts of Europe. Hmm!

Re: Parking: Nose-In vs. Back-In?

Usually nose in.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I guess you're not referring to parallel parking.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Usually, nose-in.

BUT I must admit that I always back into my garage.

My driveway slopes down away from the house, so when leaving, I'm able to ease off the brakes and roll out of the garage. My house, my preference.

Hmmm . . . for this to work, my garage must have a gradual slope, too, huh?
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Supermarkets seem to make their parking spots narrower than before. And SUV's doesn't help your view when backing out of a spot.

Comment

It depends on how wide the parking lane is, narrow I back in, easier to get out, wide doesn't make a difference. What my pet peeve is are the people who park crooked, or partially into the next stall.

Comment

Civil Beat, never missing a chance to jump on a viral conversation, did post a story on this burning issue on March 17:

Why Do So Many People in Hawaii Do Their Parking Backwards?

Of course, saying that their story "went viral," they put out a podcast about it as well. I was happy to see Dave Reardon, Star Advertiser sports writer, in the comments, as it was his post to Facebook on this topic (and its 100+ comments) that inspired this thread.

Comment

If I'm in my regular sedan-style car, I pull in forward.

But if I'm in the truck, my preference is to back in. It is the "do something a little more difficult NOW while you have control over it, rather than get trapped into a too tight parking lot and have to deal with an even harder problem LATER". If there is a load in the back of the pickup, and I need to go into a parking lot, I'll park it somewhere where I can easily back in, even if it means I'm parked out in the far part of the lot.

I don't care at all if someone else parks forward or reverse. I've way better things to do than worry about that for someone else.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I'm reminded of this Seinfeld episode (Season 3 Ep. 22):

http://yadayadayadaecon.com/clip/38/

Parallel parking for me it is back in.

Perpendicular parking, nose in.

More on parking.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                  X