Pixar's "Inside Out" (2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pixar's "Inside Out" (2015)

Opens next week, and easily in my top-five most anticipated films this year.

http://movies.disney.com/inside-out/

It's All In Your Head: Director Pete Docter Gets Emotional In 'Inside Out'
    http://www.npr.org/2015/06/10/413273...-in-inside-out

We'll see whether this latest Pixar outing can light up the charts like most of its predecessors:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/

Re: Pixar's "Inside Out" (2015)

Saw it. Loved it. Even knowing they're going to yank hard on the heartstrings, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. The personification of one's inner dialogue was a simple but wonderful concept. Not long after the movie my kids started explaining their own interacting emotions... I can totally see "Inside Out" becoming an oft-reference tool in counseling.

I completely forgot that "Inside Out" also came with a new Pixar short inspired by Hawaii called "Lava." It was also very sweet.

Comment

Saw this movie at the Ward Theater tonight (6/23/15) on one of the big screens. While I didn't see how well attend it was behind of me, there were a good number of people to the side and before me.

As a comedy the movie does its job well. People were laughing at the Brazilian helicopter bit (which was in the on-line trailers) and they manage to do it two more times in the movie to good effect.

Did like the bit about the guards who labelled their hats with the phrase my hat and they were having a discussion about it.

Don't mind seeing this movie again.

Comment

Inside Out (2015)
        Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Bill Hader, Lewis Black, Mindy Kaling. Written by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, and Josh Cooley. Directed by Pete Docter.

In young Riley’s mind live the personifications of her emotions: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust. While each gets its chance to run things during Riley’s waking hours, in her early life it is Joy who dominates. Riley’s core memories, those which shape and define her personality, are all yellow, the color of Joy.

When Riley’s family moves from Minnesota to San Francisco, the comforts of Riley’s happy childhood are taken away, and she is forced to deal with all the challenges an eleven-year-old experiences when moving to another part of the country. Fear starts to have more of a say, as do Disgust and Anger, and when Sadness accidentally taints one of Riley’s core memories, turning it from yellow to blue (the color of Sadness), Joy tries to regain control, resulting in a bizarre, imaginative, complicated adventure through Riley’s mind, at one point rendering Riley without any feeling at all.

The first time I saw this in a theater, I fell asleep through a pretty huge chunk of the second act and had to have things explained to me. This resulted in a pretty good understanding of the film without any of its emotional payoff. When I saw it again, I was astounded by the complexity of the illustrated world of Riley’s mind, in execution as well as concept. There is one quick scene where some of Riley’s long-term memories are beginning to dim. A pair of “forgetters” (voiced by Paula Poundstone and Bobby Moynihan) are tasked with examining each fading memory’s content (the lyrics to a once favorite song, for example) and deciding whether to toss it into the memory dump or hang onto it for future use. Riley is growing up, and some memories fade in order to make room for new memories, while others persist in utter clarity even while she might like to forget them.

Add other symbolized imaginings of Riley’s mind, such as her train of thought, the creation and experience of her dreams, a dangerous room for abstract thinking, and that dark corner of her mind where she tries to keep unpleasant thoughts locked up, and you have an amazing world against which is set the pretty basic story of a girl adjusting to a new life. That’s what I thought the first time I saw it, when I slept through several minutes.

But there is so much more going on here, beyond a writer’s ability to explain (without spoiling) or a friend’s ability to summarize, because what Pixar’s team has done goes beyond the cementing of abstract ideas into such comprehensible symbols as glowing spheres of memories or tubes of conveyance from a day’s experience to long-term memory. What Pixar accomplishes here should no longer be a surprise, because it has done it so many times: it tells a story that makes you feel something you might not want to feel in a movie theater when you’ve got a box of greasy popcorn in your lap. In Toy Story, a sense of nostalgia for innocent times. In Up, a reminder of unrealized dreams. In Finding Nemo, feelings of desperation and guilt for moments of carelessness. Pixar’s storytellers understand that in order to make you feel the reward of what’s on the other side, it needs to drag you through some pretty unpleasant territory. This is not especially revelatory, but pulling it off in a family movie, and executing it in a way that’s genuine and somehow personal, is how the best Pixar films transcend their genres and become something more than entertainment.

I was deeply affected by my second viewing of Inside Out, so deeply that two days later, I can still make myself cry just by thinking about it. Much of the credit goes to Amy Poehler’s and Phyllis Smith’s amazing voice work, which I will forever hear in my own head as the voices of Joy and Sadness. I first thought the critics’ raving over this film was a bit overstated. I now believe that it’s probably understated. An amazing movie.

96/100 (Criticker rating)
        9/10 (IMDb rating)
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          An amazing movie.
          If you can stay awake.
          Greg

Comment

Ugh. I've just had that problem this year. I get into a quiet, dark, air-conditioned room and my body tells me it's time for a nap. I seem to have worked it out in recent weeks, though. Thank goodness.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
            X