Oceanic's new modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanic's new modem

Oceanic recently announced a free, faster modem offer for internet connection. I just got my modem kit in the mail yesterday, along with the "Easy Connect Guide." After going over the guide, it doesn't look easy. I'm planning to replace my modem this afternoon. Anyone else got the new modem? Did you have any problems? What do you think of it?

Re: Oceanic's new modem

Gotta pay my bill today and plan on checking it out, glad to hear you got thru the prelims.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

You could purchase a modem on your own also, Oceanic if I recall now charges for the use of their modems.

Comment

I got my modem activated and it is much faster. 58.9 Mbps download; 6.10 Mbps upload. I have the the standard plan and used to average about 5-10 Mbps download. Depending on what plan you have, you're supposed to be able to get up to 300 Mbps download.

All in all, I'm happy with the upgrade. One note: you do have to activate it by a certain date (mine was by 11:00 p.m. July 14) at which time they'll deactivate your old one. I'm not sure what would happen if you decide to activate it at a later date. Go without internet?

And yes, you can get your own modem instead of renting Oceanic's modem. Earlier this year I was thinking of doing that, but ultimately decided against it. Can those automatically take advantage of the upgrade speed?

Comment

I purchased my own modem and returned Oceanic's modem after they would be charging six dollars a month to use theirs.

Comment

Honoruru, was the installation easy? Thanks

Comment

Lihingmui, it wasn't as easy as it should have been. But I would still recommend the upgrade.

The upgrade kit came with a lot of cables, most of which I didn’t use. The “Easy Connect Guide” wasn’t exactly easy. One thing to note is that this new modem comes with a built-in router. There’s no instruction of what to do if you have your own router. I chose to ignore the instruction on how to set up Time Warner’s built-in router and went with my own router. In fact, I ignored a lot of the instructions.

In the end, you have to call someone at Oceanic to have him activate your new modem. This was one of the reasons why I didn’t get my own modem earlier this year. I didn’t want to deal with an Oceanic guy. I thought this modem would activate automatically, but when I set everything up and turned it on, a message came up on the screen telling me to call a number from the “Easy Connect Guide” and get in touch with an Oceanic guy. Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait too long. Unfortunately, I got a fast talking guy who was difficult to understand. But ultimately, I was able activate the new modem and it was noticeably faster.

Walkoff Balk (or anyone else who bought their own modem), were you able to take advantage of the new upgraded speed (up to 300 Mbps)? It depends on what plan you have, but it should be about ten times faster than what you used to have. I read somewhere that only one of the approved modems listed will support the speed upgrade, and that modem is difficult to find.

Comment

Honoruru, Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and order the new modem, gotta have that speed! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X