Feral animal bills in the State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral animal bills in the State

Hi everyone - If passed, this bill - SB2512, raises the penalties for animal desertion. It is being held one day before the dreaded SB2450, which seeks to penalize those that care for feral cats, among other things, on state land. So I'd like to urge everyone to submit testimony SUPPORTING SB2512 and urge lawmakers to kill SB2450. Thank you very very much.

Hearing WLA-JDL 02-10-16
    Prohibits the sale, offer to sell, purchase, trade, or barter of any part or product from various animal and marine species. Provides exceptions to this prohibition, including for traditional cultural practices protected under the state constitution. Imposes penalties for violations of the prohibi…

Log on to: CAPITOL.HAWAII.GOV
    Search for the two bills and submit testimony online.

You can also submit testimony against this bill via email at:
    wlatestimony@capitol.hawaii.gov

Subject: I strongly oppose SB2450!

I strongly oppose SB2450!

These animals were once abandoned by thoughtless people. Now you seek to make their abandonment complete?

If we colony caretakers cannot provide food for these felines, they will start predation of wildlife, they will raid garbage and become more of a problem.
    The only humane solution is state-supported TNRM, that is trap, neuter, return and maintain. If they are unable to breed, their numbers will decrease. Florida has seen dramatic reduction in feral cats using this method, and so can Hawai`i.

There are literally hundreds of volunteers, using their own funds to neuter and feed these felines. With some State support, we can solve the problem and minimize the suffering.

• Starving cats is not a compassionate solution
    • If cats are removed it will increase the rat population
    • Sterilization, not starvation, will reduce cats in the community humanely
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Feral animal bills in the State

I'm a big fan of people who take care of feral cats, but if this bill passes, would it really be that bad? Feeding at schools would have to stop, but wouldn't the cats on school campus simply find somewhere else to go, where it would still be okay to feed them, such at city parks? Most of the feeding I see is near school campuses, at city parks, and on county streets, and I'm guessing that would still be okay.

I hope the bill doesn't pass, but if it does, I think we'll still be okay, and it might even make things easier for people like you.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Feral animal bills in the State

This is kind of like putting restrictions on where homeless people can go. In this case one of the bills in question will prohibit feral animal feeding on state property. As indicated above, then animals / people will simply move to county properties.

Will such a state law even be enforced?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
      X