Aloha oukou!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha oukou!

I love nature. The land, the sea, the weather and the stars. I visit the islands regularly and find all these elements and more to be the most pleasing here.

I plan to migrate permanently in a few years to live a self sustaining life style embracing the land, culture and aloha spirit for the second half of my life.

I currently live in NorCal where I raise bees, grow crops and build and repair just about anything I set my mind to working on. I fish and crab regularly and on a recent visit to Kauai to speared my first fish at Aliomanu. I have not raised chicken or goats yet, but I plan to hopefully before I retire. I don't hunt game above the waves, however I do enjoy a good protein rich meal including many meats.

Hawaii has called to me all my life and I will soon heed the call and join my spiritual braddahs, sistahs, anties and uncles in paradise. I hope you will all embrace me and mine as I will you and yours.

I have not chosen which island yet as we are still investigating which will be the best fit for all we want to do when we move. This year will be our first visit to Molokai and two years from now my Big Island cherry will be lost. Kauai feels like home but with 4 - 5 years still to plan I want to know more before making the final move.

I am not looking for encouragement, discouragement or advice. I am looking for friends, knowledge and sharing. Those that would like to get to know me better can add me on social media at FaceBook Facebook.com/finchbirds and Twitter @sfbaystingray. I am very open minded and friendly and I love sharing things I enjoy and/or amuse me. Feel free to submit friend request if you like the same.

Mahalo nui loa in advance for welcoming me to The HT community. I hope I add as much good stuff as I find here already.

Aloha ~ Finch

Re: Aloha oukou!

Hi Finch,

I hope your plans work out well for you, but I must caution you to do your research before you make the move. Hawaii can be a trap for people moving here. A significant number of people have come out thinking they have a job and find out they do not. They then find the jobs that are available won’t pay the rent and rent is astronomical. They end up living under a tarp in the park.

The homeless problem in Hawaii is the worst in the nation. The city and state are working on fixing the problem but they just got started and have a long way to go to even be 10% effective.

Be sure that you know exactly what your rent will be for both where you live and where your farm will be before you get here. Also be sure of you source of money (i.e. who will buy your produce and for how much). It would also be a good idea to have an escape plan. A source of money to get you home again if things don’t go well.

I don’t want to be a wet blanket but I have a friend that came out here and worked a job for several years. But there was a hiccup and he is now on the beach, no job, no home, no source of income.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Comment

Hi Finch,

I hope your plans work out well for you, but I must caution you to do your research before you make the move. Hawaii can be a trap for people moving here. A significant number of people have come out thinking they have a job and find out they do not. They then find the jobs that are available won’t pay the rent and rent is astronomical. They end up living under a tarp in the park.

The homeless problem in Hawaii is the worst in the nation. The city and state are working on fixing the problem but they just got started and have a long way to go to even be 10% effective.

Be sure that you know exactly what your rent will be for both where you live and where your farm will be before you get here. Also be sure of you source of money (i.e. who will buy your produce and for how much). It would also be a good idea to have an escape plan. A source of money to get you home again if things don’t go well.

I don’t want to be a wet blanket but I have a friend that came out here and worked a job for several years. But there was a hiccup and he is now on the beach, no job, no home, no source of income.

You might want to read the seven pages about the homeless situation here http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=20626
      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
      Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
        Hi Finch,

I agree research is a must. I have been researching for about 4 years and I plan to continue for up to five more years.

Rent won't be an issue as I will be buying land to build on or a fixer upper outright when I move. I will avoid properties with HOA fees so that taxes and utilities are the only expenses beside food and entertainment.

My own farm/ranch will be my main work with small handyman services on occasion just to say active in community.

I plan to be retired/semi-retired not homeless.

Mahalo for welcoming me!

Comment

I like Kauai best, although I have property on O`aha and the Big Island.
          Had plans to move there, but....
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            I like Kauai best, although I have property on O`aha and the Big Island.
            Had plans to move there, but....
            I'm assuming you live windward O`ahu....

What do you do with your Big Island property? Lease it, farm it, or ?

Comment

Working...
            X