Oldies competitor just arrived in Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldies competitor just arrived in Honolulu

KORL 101.1 just switched from Hot AC "Mix 101.1" to Oldies "Oldies 101.1." The station will compete against 107-9 Hawaii's Kool Gold KKOL.

Re: Oldies competitor just arrived in Honolulu

Interesting. Have you given it a listen? My dad listens to Kool Gold, and I've noticed that the playlist begins in the Sixties now, and goes into the Eighties. It's a better-sounding station to me now, but when people want oldies, they want the Fifties (and probably not the Eighties). Thanks for the heads-up. I'm passing it along!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yep, just noticed the switch from Mix 101.1 to "Hawaii's Official Oldies Station". Seems like they are playing much of the same music as 107.9 FM. Since I just tuned in, can't tell if they are doing 50s... I did hear "Montego Bay" which was late 60s.

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac now playing
      Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
      Think - Aretha Franklin
      Tin Man - America

Can Honolulu sustain 2 oldies stations? Plus we have 2 other stations playing R&B oldies, 93.9 FM and 94.7 FM, though the latter has some newer stuff mixed in.

Then this is HHawaii Media who seem to regularly flip their stations to different formats.... J-Pop to HipHop; Heavy Metal to Classic Rock; and now CHR to Oldies.

I think 107.9 FM will hold on since they have Tom Moffatt as well as classic American Top 40 shows airing on the weekends.

KORL 101.1 FM is owned by HHawaii Media who also operate KONI 104.7 FM on Maui which is, yep... another oldies station though they go by the "classic hits" label. 104.7 FM has been oldies since about the day it signed on more than 15 years ago.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As I flip between Oldies 101.1 and 107-9 Hawaii's Kool Gold, I notice that the former concentrates on 1960s and 1970s music, while the latter includes 1980s music. Thus, 107-9 Hawaii's Kool Gold skews younger than Oldies 101.1. My only wish is that Oldies 101.1 would add 1950s music to make the oldies format complete.

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to jocks on korl 101.1 fm? Johnny Miro, etc.

Comment

If I recall correctly, KONI-FM on Maui started off with an AC format when Ivan Dixon put it on the air around 1993. I believe it switched to oldies when George Hochman purchased it in 2002.

Comment

I mentioned the new station to my dad right after seeing this post. When I took his car to be detailed last week, I saw that he had changed his presets to put this one in the position of honor. So at least one senior thinks the new station's better than the other.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                If I recall correctly, KONI-FM on Maui started off with an AC format when Ivan Dixon put it on the air around 1993. I believe it switched to oldies when George Hochman purchased it in 2002.
                Yep you are right. http://archive.hawaiiradiotv.net/nei...ial4-1995.html
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                X