Dem caucus '16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem caucus '16

are big crowds to be expected or will Hawaii people sit on their butts as usual?
    I know I'll be voting for Sanders, but had to search for where to go...
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Dem caucus '16

Crowds were enormous eight years ago, but I expect these will be somewhat smaller. Weren't registered party members sent postcards telling them where to go? I thought I heard that they were.

Also, I'm not registered to any party, and Sanders's campaign sent me material telling me where and when to go, if I wanted to participate.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I did get an email notice but it noted the location re my mailbox address, not my home addy. I found the polling place but that they change the location from our normal polling locations seems odd and needless.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Weren't registered party members sent postcards telling them where to go? I thought I heard that they were.
        Yes, I got a postcard.

I saw an ad done by Tulsi Gabbard endorsing Bernie. That should help him. But I'm voting for Hilary, since I think Sanders' promises of free health care, free college tuition, more Social Security, and God knows what else free, are ridiculous.
        Greg

Comment

I've been a registered Democrat since I came to Hawaii`i.

However, I did this in order to vote for the least-likely candidate in a vain and fruitless attempt to bring down the Democratic Machine that runs the islands.

I generally try to stay out of political discussions (also fruitless) but for this presidential election I will make an exception.

Of the four possible POTUS candidates offered to us (Rump, Cruise, Hellery and Burner), I am terrified of any one of them actually being elected. Afraid for the USA and Americans.

I guess I'll vote in the Dem caucus today (not saying who), but when the general election comes, I'll probably (fruitlessly) vote Libertarian.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Ron, I think you're crazy if you think it's "needless" for the caucusing locations to be different from the regular polling places. The caucus today is for one party's selection of one candidate (for all practical purposes). If you caucused at all the polling locations, you'd have to staff each one for what would turn out to be thirty to fifty people each.

And Kaonohi, as for "fruitlessly" voting for a Libertarian candidate, remember that it's a fringe party serving an important role. When you cast a vote for a Libertarian candidate, one thing you're doing is keeping the party on the ballot for the next election, and that's even more important than the ideological reasons for doing so. Your candidate is unlikely to win, but you keep the ideology part of the discussion, which cannot be overstated. Only Libertarians were talking about medical marijuana twenty years ago. We kept it a live topic, slowly bringing it into general consciousness and eventual acceptance. That's fruit, and I hold it up whenever people accuse me of "throwing away" my vote.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Ron, I think you're crazy if you think it's "needless" for the caucusing locations to be different from the regular polling places. The caucus today is for one party's selection of one candidate (for all practical purposes). If you caucused at all the polling locations, you'd have to staff each one for what would turn out to be thirty to fifty people each.
              I may be crazy for wanting to avoid what happened in AZ thanx to a con operative and for thinking you're severely lowballing the turnout numbers. Finding where to go was not easy.

Comment

Went to vote at 3:30 and they were already closed! Kahalu`u.
                I was so disappointed. About a dozen other people were turned away while I was there.
                They took the 1pm surge, stayed open (they said) till about 2:30, then got instructions to close down.

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  I may be crazy for wanting to avoid what happened in AZ thanx to a con operative and for thinking you're severely lowballing the turnout numbers. Finding where to go was not easy.
                  I was lowballing, much to my honest surprise. And I take back what I said about the number of caucusing locations. Nobody wants to spend all day there. The parties should probably figure out some way to handle this better, unless the established party leadership, which favors Clinton, doesn't actually want huge turnout until the general election.

I must have misread your tone, because it sounded to me in your original post as if you were also expecting low turnout.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                    Went to vote at 3:30 and they were already closed!
                    me too! I am pissed off! how dare they not put out shit for info and then cut n run so damn early, I want necks in my hands except for the massive landslide for Sanders here and the other two states. he may run the next 8 states and raise some real hell!

Comment

Working...
                    X