Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I can't remember when I went to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice but I do remember it was at the Ward Theater just when they started they Over 21 section (sometime around March 2016).

This movie is a sequel to Man of Steel, so it helps much that one understands how that movie told its story which used flashbacks from Superman's point of view, because this movie mostly does it in the same style from Batman's point of view but it also adds dream sequences that hint toward possible futures. Trouble with this method is that one doesn't catch on to this while watching this movie and you get the initial impression that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is a confusing movie.

I had to wait a few days and re-watching Man of Steel a week or two later then I realized that yeah, one needs to really pay attention to this movie a couple of times to let it sink in, assuming you are the type that likes to watch superhero action movies with scenes of disaster thrown in.
    Last edited by helen; May 14, 2016, 11:41 AM. Reason: forgot the phrase "pay attention"

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Did you like it? I think I was one of the few people who liked Man of Steel. Best Lois Lane ever.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I didn't like Man of Steel (too long, with neverending fight scenes) and I didn't like this sequel (too long, confusing, and overwrought, though I did think it was better than the previous one). But more than that, I didn't like Ward Theatre's new 21+ venue (which certainly contributed to my dislike for the movie, perhaps unfairly).

I went to see this movie near the start of the 21+ format, though I didn't choose the new Premiere section (21 & over, and booze if you want). But unfortunately, most of the showings of Superman were in the Premiere section. There was a smaller selection of non-Premiere showings, but those were all designated as "reserved seating." I found my seat (little letters beside each row, little numbers on the seats), but I began to wonder what would happen when the movie starts and the lights go out. And sure enough, shortly after the movie started, a family came by in the dark and took their seats (without looking at the seat numbers). Two sat on my right, one on my left. Normally, I would volunteer to move over so they could sit together, but I was sure these people came in and just took whatever seats were available. If I changed seats, what if the person with the real seat number appeared? Then I'd have to move ... to where? So I decided to stay where I was. After all, it was my seat number. But since this was one of the few showings that was not in the 21 and over section, there were a lot of people with kids in this showing, one of which was on my right. In fact, there were two other kids (toddlers) in back of me. All three of them talked throughout the movie. The one on my right was two or three years old. After a while, she started to crawl across my lap to get to the other side, but thankfully, before she could do that her mom scooped her up and exited, and went below to sit in some other seats (seat numbers unseen I'm sure).

The result was a very uncomfortable viewing. Plus it cost $1.50 more for the reservation. And I won't even begin to tell you about the lines (more lines and longer waits).

Comment

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
        Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter, Gal Gadot. Directed by Zack Snyder.

The title of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice really says it all. The citizens of Metropolis and the U.S. Congress question Superman’s trustworthiness. Superman doesn’t like Batman’s brand of justice. Batman considers Superman’s powers a threat to the public safety. Lex Luthor has a plan to inspire Batman to kill Superman.

It’s a bit more complicated than that. It’s a lot more complicated than that. The part of the plot involving Luthor getting involved with the remains of General Zod seems an unnecessary complication, so I probably could have done without that, but it’s still okay. And despite covering a lot of ground with these three characters, the film leaves a lot of stuff underexplained. I’d heard complaints that the movie is too long and too slow, but I watched it in three sittings, across three evenings, and it didn’t seem too long to me. If you’re watching this at home, I recommend splitting it up this way.

I just knew Ben Affleck was going to be a good Batman, and he is. I guess something needs to be said about the suit and the Batmobile, so I’ll say I like the way the suit’s eyes light up, kind of like that animated TV series in the late Nineties, but it seems more like a knight’s armor, really kind of clanky, than suits in films past. It gives the Caped Crusader a squarish look, in his body and face, and I like that too, but it takes a little bit of getting used to. The Batmobile is fine. I normally get off on cool cars in movies, but I was kind of uninspired by this one, for no good reason I can think of.

I was less sure of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, but he’s quite good too. His early scenes with Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are excellent. Add my fondness for Henry Cavill as a less-charismatic-than-expected Superman and Amy Adams as a more-charismatic-than-expected Lois Lane, and it’s a decent movie, a grimmer and grimier superhero movie with a few interesting action sequences and a few interesting quiet moments. I liked the quieter scenes in Man of Steel too, mostly because I like the way director Zack Snyder doesn’t feel the need to overdirect some of the films’ poetic moments.

At the height of the anti-Superman sentiment, Superman does something especially heroic, and there is a moment when the suspicious public realizes its error and gestures apologetically (and perhaps reverently) while Superman stands there, silent. The scene is dramatically different from the hip-hip-hooray stuff we expect, and it feels like a special moment of connection between the people and a man with connections to very few. I want more of this.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
        73/100 (Criticker rating)
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Who Will Play The Next Superman? These 8 Actors Would Be Great Casting Choices (yahoo.com)

It can't be an actor who plays complex characters.

Comment

10 Worst Endings That Ruined Otherwise Great Movies (msn.com)

Superman movies without Christopher Reeves have been bad.

Comment

17 Characters People Thought Were Perfectly Cast...Until The Movie Or Show Came Out (yahoo.com)

Jesse Eisenberg is too nerdy to play Lex Luthor.

Comment

Working...
              X