X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle finger delegate ousted

http://www.staradvertiser.com/breaki...ii-delegation/
    Sanders supporter who gave middle finger kicked out of Hawaii delegation

A member of Hawaii’s delegation to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia has been kicked out of the group after she was caught on national television on Tuesday giving the middle finger as U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz announced Hawaii’s delegate counts for Hillary Clinton.
    Hawaii Democratic Party Chair Tim Vandeveer said he tried to give the Bernie Sanders supporter another chance by having her apologize, but Chelsea Lyons Kent refused.
    “She was unwilling to do so,” he said in a press release. “Therefore, her floor credentials have been revoked for the duration of (the) convention and she will no longer be a part of our delegation.”
    Vandeveer said that Kent’s gesture was “inappropriate and not in keeping with the conduct becoming of a national delegate or member of the Democratic Party.”
    Is sticking finger in a nationally televised airing an appropriate action? Do the delegates need to show respectfulness, or is it no-hold-bared to get your point across?

I don't think the sticking finger by the delegate reflects on the political party as much as on the person herself, in her displaying of what is basically a low-class vulgarity. Yes, I have been known to do it myself, say ... in traffic...... but I hope I'd be able to restrain myself during a televised setting (the same as I'd hope to not resort to my sometimes swearing).

Evidently the party did not I find her behavior acceptable, since they ousted her and her middle finger.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Middle finger delegate ousted

I think it's definitely inappropriate, but I seem to be the only person who thinks it was funny. In the moments leading up to the flipped bird, she's clearly clowning around, putting up shakas and waving, which if you ask me are also inappropriate for that moment, although certainly not vulgar or crude. The extended finger seemed like a progression, a juvenile kind of "I got away with that, now can I get away with THIS?" behavior I've seen in my students ten million times.

Her comments afterward seem to indicate that she meant to be impolite and rude, which detracts from my point that I think she was just being playful, but I still think that in the moment, it was more amusing than outrageous.

The party did the right thing, of course. But if I were the chair, I would have said something like, "What you did is funny, but of course I have to dismiss you from the delegation unless you apologize. That was super inappropriate!"
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It was appropriate because that's the only thing Brian Schatz understands. I'm ashamed and disgusted that Schatz is in office. I got a call from his pollsters last month, I couldn't agree with a single thing he supported from taxing the working guy more to ripping us off with high electric bills. I'll be sending that corrupt, establishment baboon his pink slip on November 8th. F. you Brian Schatz, I wouldn't trust you to run a hot dog stand let alone "represent" me in congress.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
        It was appropriate because that's the only thing Brian Schatz understands.
        So you think that appropriate and inappropriate behavior in given situations depend on context? Or are you just agreeing with the sentiment? I'm asking sincerely here.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          So you think that appropriate and inappropriate behavior in given situations depend on context? Or are you just agreeing with the sentiment? I'm asking sincerely here.
          Thanks for commenting. Basically I really don't like the guy at all, so it was appropriate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            Thanks for commenting. Basically I really don't like the guy at all, so it was appropriate to me.
            So, if say .... Hillary was standing next to Donald, then it would be appropriate for her to stick finger while on national TV? And vice versa?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X