2016 Primary Election Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Primary Election Day

August 13, 2016 is Primary Election Day in Hawaii.

As in similar threads in the past this is about the process of voting and your experinces in casting your ballot for today.

If you already voted by absentee ballot you can relate your experience as well too.

Re: 2016 Primary Election Day

Went to Washington Middle School to cast my ballot just before 9am. There wasn't that much people at the time. There were about 12 to 15 people manning the polling place and at least 8 to 10 people casting ballots.

It went kind of smooth today.

Comment

I suspect that the primary caucuses have a negative effect on the voter turnout in the primary elections, although I have no real basis for saying so. Mel probably knows better.

I voted early walk-in at city hall, as always.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

At this moment, 16 Oahu precincts still open. First printout expected around 7:00 or 7:30. It's probably going to be later.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I suspect that the primary caucuses have a negative effect on the voter turnout in the primary elections, although I have no real basis for saying so. Mel probably knows better.
          Media says the low turnout was attributed to "lack of interest" and "a referendum on rail" which only brought out the passionate supporters for rail and those opposing it through the mayoral race.

Still not enough to generate interest as the primary numbers went down to 34.7% this year.

I don't know if this year's earlier presidential caucuses had any bearing on primary election turnout. The numbers should spike up a bit in the general as it has in the past because the presidential candidates are on the ballot.

TOTAL REGISTRATION - 726,940

TOTAL TURNOUT - 251,959 34.7%

PRECINCT TURNOUT - 96,186 13.2%

ABSENTEE TURNOUT - 155,773 21.4%

When I cast my ballot late yesterday afternoon at my precinct, there were maybe 3 other people voting. The election workers looked bored.

Complete election results for this year and previous ones back to 1992:

http://elections.hawaii.gov/election-results/
          Last edited by mel; August 14, 2016, 03:22 PM. Reason: Fix transpose typo
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

sadly, Caldwell's camp actually edged out Djou, 45% to 44%, 9% for Carlisle. considering the extreme apathy of voters I'd say the historically low turnout of 35% was pretty high, only the most passionate even thot of voting yesterday, Djou will probably elbow his way to the win.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Djou will probably elbow his way to the win.
              With all due respect (to you and Mel, whose position on this hasn't been stated but is pretty easy to predict! ), I don't see this happening. Caldwell voters are going to vote for Caldwell--that's not going out on a limb. I think nearly all Carlisle voters (I was one of them) will vote for Caldwell, because despite the large number of issues our city faces, rail is still the big one, and a vote for Carlisle six years ago was a vote for rail, just as a vote for Caldwell four years ago was a vote for rail, and a vote for either this year was a vote for rail.

With that in mind, in order for Djou to elbow his way in, he'll need about (I'm ballparking here) 55% to 60% of the rest of the vote in the general. Since rail is such a divisive issue, and since anti-rail people have stronger feelings, I think a higher percentage of them were likely to have voted in the primary, 'though I admit that's a gut feeling. This means Djou is going to have to convince the people on the fence (and there are a LOT of them, I'll grant you that) to come down on his side. He's not a very persuasive guy for people who aren't already inclined to agree with him.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

money wise, Djou is crushing Kirk 4 - 1, and he's come far in little time to be tied with the incumbent, so momentum could play a part for Djou, especially if the Mayor stumbles at some point. but he's a terrible communicator and he's a republican / career politician with his eye on the Gov's office, so it's a toss up right now but Kirk has only his % of Carlisle votes to gain while Charles has more headroom, which I feel gives him the slight edge.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Care to make it interesting?
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

To me it is one guy's rail vs. another guy's rail. PRP killed our best chance for a totally anti-rail candidate back in 2012. There will be plenty of blank ballots or no shows for this race in November.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X