transportation network companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transportation network companies

Anyone experienced with Uber or Lyft? Have you ever used them for a ride, or perhaps work or drive for them?

There was a news report a couple of months ago about drivers being arrested at Honolulu airport for not having the proper permits. Are they still banned from the airport?

Its always sort of bugged me about what screening is done, or ISN'T DONE, for drivers. Not that all regular taxi drivers are solid citizens, but at least it is a marked car. I'm I too old school? To me the idea of someone just jumping into a private car with a stranger is sort of like hitchhiking, how do you know who you are really dealing with?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: transportation network companies

I’m with you, I think Uber and Lyft should have some regulation and the drivers need to be screened to keep out the undesirables. Wasn’t there a recent event where an Uber drive assaulted a rider?
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

Comment

I just saw this website about allegations, here are a few excerpts, "found guilty of running a red light that caused him to crash .. leading to the death of his passenger", "driver faces felony aggravated assault charges after allegedly attempting to flee police", "driver stopped mid-ride and made indecent contact and unwanted sexual".

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents
      The website states, "Uber’s process for onboarding drivers is dangerously negligent. Neither Uber nor Lyft uses fingerprints or law enforcement to background-check their drivers. And Uber doesn’t even bother to meet with drivers in person before allowing them to ferry passengers. The result is a series of incidents involving “ridesharing” passengers being harmed and criminal offenders behind the wheel:"

While taxi drivers are not all perfect, is a less-than-aggressive screening process (such as for TNC drivers) leaning toward LESS protection for riders?

Comment

Both Uber and Lyft have customer ratings and passenger ratings. When the ride is complete, the apps prompt you to rate your driver, and they prompt the driver to rate the passenger. When you request a ride, the name of the driver shows up on the screen, along with a rating. Either the passenger or driver have the option of canceling the ride if they don't feel good about the arrangement.

This is obviously not a failsafe measure, but it helps. I've used Lyft a few times and have only great experiences. Compared to the stress of riding in cabs, not to mention the lower price, the new ride-sharing is a blessed development in our new world. I love it.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So then, I wonder why the TNCs are resistant to doing more scrutiny of their drivers? That, combined with the rating system, could add an important layer of safety.

Comment

It may have something to do with behaving like a cab company. The services, when they were introduced, were very firmly adamant that they were not cab services, but ride-sharing services. One friendly person offering a ride to a person in need in exchange for some cash. The app was merely a way to connect people, the way Craigslist connects buyers and sellers.

As you know, cab services are strictly regulated. Ride-sharing can be less expensive for a lot of reasons, but skirting those regulations is a huge part of it.

But you know, in some ways, I feel a lot safer using Lyft than using a cab, and as my mom gets close to having to give up her license, I'm hoping she'll be receptive to using it. When you request a ride from a ride-sharing app, you know exactly who's picking you up (even if you don't know anything about that someone), you know exactly where the car is, and you know about how long you have to wait. I'm not sure, but I think the services have enabled you to request certain drivers, too, if they're available, another huge plus in their favor.

I've waited forever for cabs, sometimes to have nobody show up at all. This is too much uncertainty when you have to be somewhere at a certain time, or when you're waiting in a strange place.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

SB reports:
              The old law, for taxis only, requires criminal background checks locally only and to go back two years. Under the ordinance passed in August and slated to take effect next month, all the drivers are supposed to submit third-party, nationwide background checks that are to go back seven years.
              It looks like the council has caught up on the need to have a bit of scrutiny of ride-hailing services drivers. Good news for the safety of the public! But will it increase the fares charged by the drivers? Perhaps a bit, but having a background check done on a driver is not a particularly expensive obligation.

Caldwell is balking because he thinks the law is not strong enough:
              The companies should be required to recertify their drivers at least every two years to ensure they hold valid driver’s licenses, maintain valid auto insurance policies, ensure they are mentally and physically fit, and submit their traffic violations bureau certified abstracts, the mayor said.
              If he feels even more needs to be done, he should be doing something himself to bring it about, but not just turn away from what is at least a step in the right direction.

Comment

Danger goes both ways

Washington Post:
                After Jacob Matthew Allemon, an Uber driver in Michigan, approached the couple he was to transport Saturday, one of the passengers rapped on his window, police said. Allemon, 23, took the action as a sign of disrespect, investigators said.The situation got only worse, eventually spiraling into a physical confrontation between Allemon and the 49-year-old passenger, police said. Allemon is now accused of stabbing the man, who was with his wife at the time.
                By the way, we are kind of protected should the alleged stabber get out of jail:
                An Uber official said Monday that Allemon has been banned from the ride-sharing app and that the company has reached out to authorities to offer any assistance in the investigation.
                Huh, You think?

Meanwhile, this driver was put into danger, but managed to escape a robbery by killing the robber:
                Aventura police spokesman Chris Goranitis told the newspaper that the driver picked up a passenger about 5:50 a.m. During the trip, a Dodge Caravan cut off the Uber driver, and a man with two handguns got out of the van. Goranitis told the Herald that the Uber driver was armed, too. The suspected robber was fatally shot. The van drove away, although police later recovered the vehicle. The Uber driver escaped without injuries, according to the newspaper.
                Perhaps one way it look at it is that ride-sharing incidents simply represent some of what sadly goes on in America:... perceived disrespect leading to violence, ... robbery, ... robbery leading to violence,...workplace violence, and ...someone else left to sort through trouble (Uber, in example).
                Last edited by Amati; December 19, 2016, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Oh-Oh, Uber has a few problems with a federal agency, well maybe its more than a few.... more like 20 million, dollars that is:

BusinessInsider reports:
                  Uber will pay $20 million and alter various business practices in order to settle claims brought by the FTC that the ride-hailing company mislead drivers on how much they would make driving for Uber. The FTC said Uber had "inflated" its hourly drivers' earnings in online advertisements to attract drivers to its platform.

Comment

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...426-story.html
                    Uber said it has worked closely with the California Public Utilities Commission in recent years as it improved its response to complaints of intoxicated drivers. It’s “community guidelines” webpage now says that any driver found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be permanently deactivated and that the company can also ban drivers who receive several unconfirmed complaints.
                    That's good, drivers who are DUI will be "deactivated". What brought about an OCRegister newspaper article that touched on the topic? This:
                    But the commission reviewed a sample of 154 such complaints from Uber passengers and found the company didn’t promptly suspend drivers in 149 of those instances and failed to investigate 133 of them.
                    The agency also wrote in its legal filing that Uber failed to follow its own, easygoing policy to deactivate drivers who have received three unconfirmed zero-tolerance complaints, allowing at least 25 such drivers to continue working for the company afterward.
                    I'm still of the opinion that transportation network companies are sort of like the lottery. Would I maybe catch a ride along with a group of friends, perhaps. Would I set my Mom up for one? Probably not.

UPDATE - WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I just posted this, and then moved on to another online newspaper, (LATimes) and guess what there is a story about:
                    An Uber driver in Orange County has been charged with raping a passenger who was riding home from a work-related event, authorities said.....The Uber ride was requested by colleagues of the woman, who was under the influence of alcohol at the time, prosecutors said.
                    To me, something seems innately dangerous with getting into a private car with a total stranger, especially if alone, and female, and drunk.
                    Last edited by Amati; April 26, 2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

In the SA today:
                      A Mexican man living in the U.S. illegally used his job as an Uber driver to target intoxicated young women and was charged today with raping, assaulting and robbing four victims, California prosecutors said.
                      So add to the list of concerns that while one state might have some degree of screening for transportation network companies drivers, the same level of screening might not be true of all states. This case involves an illegal alien driving for Uber that actually holds a legal California driver's license!
                      California issues driver’s licenses to immigrants in the country illegally and Alarcon-Nunez had a valid license since 2015.

Comment

Working...
                      X