Online advertising of items for sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online advertising of items for sale.

Do you sale household items, cars, tools, etc by adverting online? I've used Craigslist in the past, but use caution on how my ads are placed (such what personal info is available) to try and reduce dealing with .... weirdos, for lack of a better word.

A friend says they instead use a local Facebook Group that is centered in their neighborhood. And, I've heard there are specialty groups (like for moms that are selling children's items). My friend says she feels that using the groups is a more secure method than using Craigslist, because with FB "you know who you are dealing with". (Assuming the buyer uses a real name/profile.)

How do you advertise online? Is safety even an issue for you? I dread coming home to a broken in garage because I've in the past let some stranger around my house, and they turned out to be a thief-with-a-plan.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Online advertising of items for sale.

I just sold a car using Craigslist. It was a good running car at a great price, and in less than a day it was sold and driven away. Pretty easy, especially since the car was parked on the street, so there wasn't any interaction that required access inside of my house or garage.

But I'm still mentally debating if one of the Facebook Groups would be a good place to sell other type items, such as tools and yard equipment and kids sports stuff.

Have you used a FB Group to sell anything? Pros/Cons?

Comment

I'm in this fb group www.facebook.com/groups/186221411506174/ and buyers need to try out instruments they're interested in, so in-house interaction is largely unavoidable, but at least you'll know they are able to play which lessens the field of potential scammers, plus a key is needed to enter the compound.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        I'm in this fb group www.facebook.com/groups/186221411506174/ and buyers need to try out instruments they're interested in, so in-house interaction is largely unavoidable, but at least you'll know they are able to play which lessens the field of potential scammers, plus a key is needed to enter the compound.
        I didn't even know that there were sale-groups based upon a specific interest, such as music. Guess I need to start doing a bit more exploring on FB.

Comment

I've recently done a couple of more ads for things to sell. I first posted to a FB Group, then then a couple of days later put the items of Craigslist. The FB Group did work for one item ("delivery to local area" included, which I did not put in the Craigslist ad).

Of course, I got the standard spam text response for the Craigslist ad. You know, the offer that they will send me a check and arrange for a shipper to come pick the item up. Complete with misspellings and a total disregard for my requirement of "cash only". No doubt eventually they'd be asking me to refund an over payment. Thankfully, by using my cel phone as the contact, its simple to block their number so I don't get further calls and texts.

Comment

Working...
          X