Questions about the Apple TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Apple TV

Just wondering if anyone has an Apple TV device? I am kind of looking for information based on actual usage of the device.

If so does the device is able to access your iTunes library of purchased TV shows and movies from the Apple Store?

Does it also have access to your purchased music as well?

What happens if the size of your library is greater than 64 Gbytes? Can select which entries can be on the Apple TV device?

Re: Questions about the Apple TV

Helen, I know Ryan used to be a big fan but I don't know if he still has it.

Apple TV works like other set-top streaming devices. The content isn't actually stored on it (although I had no idea it had a 64 gb storage capacity; maybe I'm wrong!). Instead, when you select your source as the Apple TV device, your TV basically turns into desktop similar to a tablet or computer. You are presented with "apps" that deliver your content to you. So, there's a Netflix app, and if you subscribe to Netflix streaming, you can log in to the Netrlix app on your TV and access the content (including your queue and ratings and stuff) right on your TV. There are non-subscriber apps as well, such as Hulu and Crackle, which give you access to their streaming content in premium and free accounts, the same way visiting their website or launching their apps on a tablet might.

I haven't played with Apple TV, but my assumption is that there are a music app, a movies app, and a TV app just as on an iPhone or iPad. Selecting one of those apps and connecting your Apple account gives you access to your purchased content, which you can then stream to your TV the same way you might stream them to your smartphone or iPad. Does this make sense?

Other devices work similarly: Roku and Chromecast, for example.

So I don't think the size of your library is an issue at all: the devices uses your net connection to stream from the cloud to your TV.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Apple TV are available in two storage limits. The 32 Gbyte unit sells for $149 while the 64 Gbyte unit sells for $199.

I currently don't subscribe to any of the streaming services and I only setup the YouTube application on my new TV sometime last month.

Lately I have been purchasing some TV shows via iTunes, but I would rather view them thru the 40 inch TV versus the 20 inch monitor on my PC.

I don't own an iPhone or an iPad and it doesn't make any sense to me to view TV shows or movies on such a small display.

Comment

Okay, so I am not totally certain, but I think when you buy an Apple TV, it comes with subscriptions to some streaming services (I mean you get the service as part of your purchase, not that you have to subscribe to it in addition). Like, I know Roku comes with streaming options for Asian Crush, a channel/app that features Asian cinema, some of it difficult to get anywhere else. That's just one example, but you get the idea. Also, Hulu and Crackle have free content, not only subscription content. The point is that Apple TV is a device that allows streaming right to your TV, in the absence of a computer as an in-between. So you should be able to stream anything you've purchased in the Apple store, no matter how much storage it takes up.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't think Apple TV supports streaming Amazon.com content. Bad if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The 32 Gbyte unit at $149 is still available but they have discontinued the 64 Gbyte version.

Apple also announced the Apple TV 4K units which will be available on September 22, 2017. These units will be available in the 32 and 64 Gbyte storage versions.

I found out that the 32 or 64 Gbyte storage deals with apps that are installed on the Apple TV not the videos stored on it.

I kind of plan on buying an Apple TV but I am not in any rush to get one. I tried a unit at the Apple store about a month ago. My biggest stumbling block is the Siri remote but I suspect it might take me a while to get the hang of using it.

Comment

I'm almost surely going to get a streaming device (also eventually, like you) but don't know which way I'll go yet. So thank for the update. You know, it never occurred to me that resident apps would need space on the device, but of course they would since they're operating without an intermediary computer. Does that mean you can add and remove them as you like? Interesting.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I have a Roku device, here: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=atv_acq...8011&welcome=1. Mine works fine. This particular model does 4K and HDR, but there are a bunch of cheaper models, too, down to around $30. I am not an Apple person, so I can't tell you about compatibillity with Apple.

Here is a comparison from CNET between Roku and Apple streaming devices: https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-v...hould-you-buy/.
                Last edited by GregLee; September 18, 2017, 10:20 AM.
                Greg

Comment

At this point in time (August 13, 2019) there two models for Apple TV.

I was at the Apple store today looking what I believe was the Apple TV 4K (while both use the same size box and remote, the 4K model does not have a USB-C port above the HDMI port). So far my hang ups for not getting a unit now are getting the hang of the Siri remote control device and debating of how to deal with my TV's second HMDI port which is currently connected to the Blu-ray player.

Comment

Working...
                  X