Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi

While the starting date of Star Wars: The Last Jedi is Friday December 15, 2017, the Ward Theater is showing it a day early on at least 8 screens at two different times.

Decided to buy a ticket for myself for one of the Thursday night performances.

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Saw it twice so far.

During the course of the movie either BB8, Luke Skywalker or Chewbacca would do or say something that was kind of humorous. During the first showing which was in one of the small theaters at Ward, no one laughed.

On the second showing in one of the big theaters at Ward the audience did laugh at the humorous scenes.

Comment

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
      Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, Benicio del Toro. Written and directed by Rian Johnson.

Kylo Ren has a message for Rey, and The Last Jedi‘s writer-director Rian Johnson has the same message for diehard fans of the Star Wars franchise: Let’s move on.

I suspect there’s a turnaround in this message coming in the third movie of this third trilogy. It would make sense, and if it works out this way, The Last Jedi will be remembered as fondly as The Empire Strikes Back, the best of its series. As it is, the message seems clear. Celebrate the heroes without over-romanticizing. Remember your history, but get over your mistakes and play the long game. Everything we need is right here. It’s not quite William Shatner telling Trekkers in that classic SNL sketch to “get a life,” but it’s in the same vein.

Many fanboys and fangirls are going to hate it.

Here’s the rundown. Rey seeks help from Luke, but she really seeks the truth about her parents. The First Order has found a way to track the Resistance through hyperspace, so Finn and new accomplice Rose Tico execute a plan to disable this new ability. Poe, eager to do as much damage to the First Order as possible while he has the chance, is frustrated with inaction by Resistance leadership. Kylo Ren discovers an unexpected connection with someone in the Resistance.

The story is weak. Although I really enjoyed this movie, I had to shrug off some silly contrivances, a senseless plot element or two, and a few nearly mind-blowing new revelations about the Force. “But if you can do that with the Force, why didn’t Yoda…?”

The important acting is pretty great, especially by Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver. I have seen Driver in oodles of roles and never cared much for him, but I do like him as Kylo Ren. Kelly Marie Tran deserves a shout-out for being an Asian actor in a highly visible, important role in a galaxy based heavily on Japanese culture but with very few Asian names in the acting credits. Tran does a nice job, adding a bit more humanness to a film where much of the acting feels stiff. Fight sequences are pretty interesting, although some of the sets look oddly cheap. I would appreciate a moratorium on all catwalk scenes.

My enjoyment comes from what feels like a shift in the direction of the franchise. The Force Awakens seemed determined to bring the old faithful back to the fold while hurling the galaxy far, far away in a new direction; The Last Jedi seems to ask the same faithful to play with some of these new toys, rather than leave them in a box on a shelf. Toys should be played with, and legends should be allowed to die. It’s kind of a dismal message, but that’s what we love about The Empire Strikes Back, right?

7/10 (IMDb rating)
      78/100 (Criticker rating)
      Last edited by scrivener; January 8, 2018, 11:13 AM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't like it because it seems like Disney is trying really hard to "forget" the past. I think "the past" is what's going to keep fans interested.

Must be some royalty issues or something. All the old is being replaced by the new.

I know movies need to move on, etc.

Does Lucas still have a saying? Or was this movie all-Disney?

Comment

SPOILER ALERT: Read at your own risk if you did not see this.

I think "The Last Jedi" represents a generational shift in the Star Wars universe as the series moves forward. Started last time with the death of Han Solo... so in that regard we should have been prepared for this one. The title says it all "Last" meaning the end of the current Jedi, certainly an end to Princess Leia even though she does not die in the movie.'

Actors age and move on. I think the Star Wars universe should move ahead with new stories in subsequent trilogies and wrap this one up nicely with the main characters in the latest trilogy carrying the torch forward.

I think in the original plan, the only characters that will and could span the entire series will be the two droids, and now three. Artoo Detoo, C3PO and perhaps BB8.

Otherwise the humans and aliens going forward should just be allowed to live and die in the series just as it is in real life. No reboots please... and no more prequel series.

It is good that there will be stand-alone episodes like "Rouge 1" to fill in a few gaps here and there. That I can live with. Next one up is "Solo" based on a younger Han Solo before he met Luke and Leia I presume.

And hopefully in episode 9 they do not bring back Princess Leia as a computer generated image as they did in "Rouge 1".... Carrie Fisher is dead. Let her character die offscreen and explain it in the next movie.

Whatever.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
            I don't like it because it seems like Disney is trying really hard to "forget" the past. I think "the past" is what's going to keep fans interested.
            “We're going to win this war, not by fighting what we hate, but saving what we love.” This doesn't say anything about forgetting the past, but saving those things which make the series great. As Leia (I think?) says, "Everything the Rebellion needs is right here."

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I think "The Last Jedi" represents a generational shift in the Star Wars universe as the series moves forward.
            I'm with you. This movie is about moving ahead, which is its strength.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

"The Last Jedi" represents a generational shift in the Star Wars universe as the series moves forward. Started last time with the death of Han Solo... so in that regard we should have been prepared for this one. The title says it all "Last" meaning the end of the current Jedi, certainly an end to Princess Leia even though she does not die in the movie.'

Otherwise the humans and aliens going forward should just be allowed to live and die in the series just as it is in real life.

[...]

And hopefully in episode 9 they do not bring back Princess Leia as a computer generated image as they did in "Rouge 1".... Carrie Fisher is dead. Let her character die offscreen and explain it in the next movie.
              I totally agree with Mel. Anyone following the Star Wars series should realize by now — this is an actual story going in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Characters in the series eventually die — just like in REAL LIFE. In this case, they might even have to CHANGE the story, since the actress who portrays Princess Leia — Carrie Fisher — suffered a drug-induced fatal heart attack.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                I totally agree with Mel. Anyone following the Star Wars series should realize by now — this is an actual story going in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Characters in the series eventually die — just like in REAL LIFE. In this case, they might even have to CHANGE the story, since the actress who portrays Princess Leia — Carrie Fisher — suffered a drug-induced fatal heart attack.
                I totally agree. But I would think they would try to keep the old actors as much as possible, even if they are not the main stars. Ford does not want to do it. Fisher died in real life. At least they could have kept Luke going for a few more movies.

Maybe as a fan, I want more. More of what happened between Esp 6 and now.

Comment

Mark Hamill talks future of 'Star Wars' and saying goodbye to Carrie Fisher

After more than four decades carrying the "Star Wars" torch as Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill says it's time for a new generation of heroes to take his place in the "galaxy far, far away."
                  Check it out:
                  http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=51798843

It's an interesting interview.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I would think they would try to keep the old actors as much as possible, even if they are not the main stars. Ford does not want to do it. Fisher died in real life. At least they could have kept Luke going for a few more movies.

Maybe as a fan, I want more. More of what happened between Esp 6 and now.
                    Mark Hamill talks future of 'Star Wars' and saying goodbye to Carrie Fisher

Check it out:
                    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=51798843

It's an interesting interview.
                    I think Mark Hamill just confirms the sentiment that they've pursued enough of the storyline involving the “old actors.” What happened between Episode VI and now is documented over the span of two movies: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015) and Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017).

Perhaps if it had not taken sixteen years (1983-1999) for George Lucas to return to working on the series, there might have been enough time to develop more sequels. But I can understand Harrison Ford's burnout. We've already seen Han Solo die twice — and yet the next movie is an ‘anthology film’ with his name on it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi came out on DVD / Blue Ray / and digital download this week. Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Las...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And at the end of the reel, the young boy reaches out and the broom comes to him - using the force. It's not The Last Jedi.

http://time.com/5070022/star-wars-th...id-at-the-end/
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

"Jedi" is used as both singular and plural. The title wasn't meant to refer to one final Jedi, but a group, or a generation of last Jedi. Or maybe something poetic and symbolic. Notice sentences in earlier films like "The Jedi are _______."
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                          X