Missile attack on Hawai‘i!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missile attack on Hawai‘i!

I received this message today from Hawai‘i Civil Defense.

Someone is in a lot of trouble right now!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Missile attack on Hawai‘i!

My cell carrier is Sprint. I did not get the alert. Assuming that someone could live through a missile attack if they had notice to take shelter, I'd be dead if I had been depending on my cell phone to deliver the warning.

I did get the cancellation. Of course by that time a half hour had passed since the warning was sent, so it was obvious by then that the initial alert had been an error.

I'm going to be watching on what is learned about which cell phone customers got warnings, and which didn't, and why. Also, if there are additional "sign up" procedures that need to be done on a cell phone to get all alerts. I do get the Civil Defense alerts (earthquake/tsunami/high surf), but does the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency alerts have a separate sign-up?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

l'm lmao, only one person is in trouble, the lowly button oopser.
      they have nothing to offer for any emergency let alone a catastrophe, in the case of a nuke... bfd, we're gone.
      the first 10 min was spent securing Ige et al in their safe place, only then did they get around to anything else for us.
      the best chance of pathetic 'survival' is being as deep down in our sewer system as possible, the door is the nearest manhole ...if you can get it open.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

So let’s recap what we know (or what Gov. David Ige and Hawai‘i Emergency Management Agency [Hi-EMA] administrator Vern T. Miyagi expects us to believe):
        • A Hi-EMA worker pressed the wrong button
        • Hi-EMA needed permission from FEMA to cancel the false alarm
        • There was no ‘cancellation process’ and one had to be created
        • it took 38 minutes to receive approval and execute the cancellation
        • In the mean time, Gov. Ige sent a tweet and Facebook post to let us know
        • Somehow, U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard announced the ‘false alarm’ BEFORE Ige or Hi-EMA were able to
        • The anonymous worker who made a boo-boo will remain anonymous and has been re-assigned
        • Everything is fine now

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

You can check how big of a radius a nuclear blast of varying intensity would be in Honolulu or any other place on Earth by going to this link:

http://www.carloslabs.com/projects/2...dZero-2-6.html

Bottom line is that if the real thing happened we are fried, cooked hotter than a million microwave ovens.

The only good thing? Rail would be stopped.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Can someone share their true feelings? It's not real, so some are joking about it, takes fine. But at that time, what were your thoughts?

I don't mean stupid guys sending out the message, or be all political, and stuff.

I think this does change how I view things. Maybe understand what my grandparents felt during the war.

Sure, we can get hit by the Bus on Kuhio Ave, but this takes on a different feeling when you only get 12-15 minutes, no?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              Can someone share their true feelings
              I was not all that convinced it was "real". And if it was, I knew there was not a thing I could do about it, even shelter in place was not going to be all that effective. If my house was the target area, I was going to die. If the blast happened far enough away (a different island), I would probably stay indoors for a few days. But the reality is that there is simply NO PLACE in my house to hide from radiation. Wood double wall construction, lots of windows, asphalt shingle roof. None of that offers much protection from radiation.

My family was panic-free. But I have a relative that actually needed to be sedated.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

My house has a view of Pearl Harbor all the way to Diamond Head. I’m pretty sure the blast would knock my house flat. No place to shelter here.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                  Can someone share their true feelings? It's not real, so some are joking about it, takes fine. But at that time, what were your thoughts?
                  At the time, I was sleeping. 8:07 a.m. on a Saturday?! Are you kidding? By the time I looked at my phone, the “false alarm message” had arrived. So obviously, my first thought was, “why do we always have idiots working in high places?” My next thought was, “take a photo.” Hence the first post in this thread. And finally, “what do I want for breakfast?” It was going to be a great day to watch live press conferences from Governor Ige on Facebook Live and see the reaction in the news and on social media.

Hawaii Governor Holds Press Conference on False Missile Alarm

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Japanl warns US of potential surprise attack on Hawaii from Russia and China https://www.yahoo.com/news/japanese-...200100225.html
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                    X