View Poll Results: Who will you vote for Governor?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D)

1 12.50%
  • Incumbent Gov. David Ige (D)

2 25.00%
  • Former Hawai‘i Sen. Clayton Hee (D)

2 25.00%
  • Undeclared Democrat (i.e. Rick Blangiardi)

1 12.50%
  • Undeclared Independent (i.e. Mufi Hannemann)

0 0%
  • Former Hawai‘i Sen. John Carroll (R)

0 0%
  • Hawai‘i Rep. Andria Tupuola (R)

0 0%
  • Undecided

2 25.00%

Thread: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

At one time, it was unheard of for ANY fellow Democrat to challenge a sitting governor. But David Ige used unconventional campaign tactics to break tradition in 2014 — by running against, and defeating — Neil Abercrombie.

Now, after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot. Seizing the moment — several big names have entered the 2018 race for Governor.

Who will you cast your ballot for this year?
    Last edited by TuNnL; March 28th, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Default Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
    if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
    we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.

Lightbulb Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
    we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.
    I wish it was, Ron, but unfortunately — it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Governor Ige's tenure has been a boondoggle ever since he tried to appoint a real estate development executive to chair the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). You have to take your hat off to former U.S. Rep. Ed Case for nudging his sister to step in and provide a viable alternative.

But one controversy after another has highlighted an administration with few accomplishments — other than the Randy Iwase-spearheaded rejection of a NextEra takeover of Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

we could go on all day how much he / Dems / everything sucks but comparatively we got it good.
    I don't see anybody better than Ige...

Lightbulb Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    we could go on all day how much he [...] sucks but comparatively we got it good. I don't see anybody better than Ige.
    Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion, then, Ron. It is true the governor came from behind in 2014 — which is the reason I started off this post with that background information.

David Ige will have to do it again to win in 2018 — this time with the benefit/burden of incumbency. And with a “lame duck” lieutenant governor he appointed, no less. We'll see if our Hawaiithreads.com poll will provide a different snapshot than the one given by Mason Dixon Polling between March 13th through the 18th.

Latest poll shows who is on top in the race for Hawai‘i’s next Governor

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST
    Updated: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST

KITV-4

In the race to become Hawai‘i Governor, a new poll by the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows Democratic Candidate Colleen Hanabusa holding a 20% point lead over Current Governor David Ige.

That data gathered from 498 potential Democratic primary voters around the state showed 47% supporting Hanabusa, compared to 27% supporting Ige.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Unhappy Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

I have never been a David Ige fan. I didn't mind his low-key approach to legislation, but there are times when a leader has to stand up and say something, and he let far, far too many such times pass.

Then I was pissed (pissed!) at the Democratic party for allowing him to unseat a governor who has spent his career with the opposite approach. I'm not a Democrat, so I didn't vote in the primary, but I watched it with horror. The party elected a guy who did its dirty, daring work for it and went along for the ride. The legislature was going to punt the same-sex marriage issue again but the governor forced a vote, and we finally righted a longstanding wrong.

But really, no thanks to David Ige or his colleagues in the capitol.

I've told Abercrombie in person that his party screwed him, and he agreed. I was always annoyed by the old-boy network the party perpetuated, but then I was utterly furious at this new upsetting of the apple cart, not because I have an issue with upsetting apple carts, but because in this case I sincerely think the party let him walk a tightrope, got what it ultimately really wanted at very little risk to itself, and then cut the line while he was still walking it.

Then Ige surprised me. He came out strong very early on three issues he didn't have to come out strong on. He supported TMT. He spoke on behalf of the state in welcoming European refugees (which may have been a no-risk position, but I still liked it). There was one more, and I don't think it was the Paris agreement, but there may have been that as well.

Anyway, his days are numbered partly due to some ineptitude, which I won't argue against. But is the solution really a return to the old-boy machine, as it would be with Hanabusa? I'm sure the party thinks it is, and that depresses me.

As if I weren't already depressesd enough about the state of politics in this country.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion
    1 person's opinion is the ultimate minority opinion. I don't like desperate career politicians who've done little else, and Hanabusa reeks of it. her lead is surprisingly massive at this point, if she takes it we can only hope for the best. she's far better than anything I've seen from any other party, not that I'm watching... and of course the Rs can go to hell.

Abercrombie was a turncoat bum, that's why he was voted out.