Incredibles 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredibles 2

Saw the movie Incredibles 2 at the Ward Theater on Saturday night (6/23/18).

The start of this movie picks up at the end of The Incredibles, namely the Incredibles family having to stop the Underminer from causing havoc in the city. Of course the entire movie is not about going against the Underminer. There is a new supervillain lurking around.

Movie has a share of action and comedy as well as nods to the James Bond genre like the background music (which is done in the same style as The Incredibles), a ship like the Disco Volante from the movie Thunderball and a car inspired James Bond's car from the movie Goldfinger.

Re: Incredibles 2

Incredibles 2 (2018)
    Holly Hunter, Craig T. Nelson, Sarah Vowell, Huck Milner, Samuel L. Jackson. Written and directed by Brad Bird.

Although I am a deep admirer of Pixar Studios and its amazing work, I didn’t love The Incredibles in 2004, even acknowledging that the characters were well imagined and the story pretty creative. Breakneck action just doesn’t do much for me most of the time, and even at its most creative, my brain can only handle so much before it starts counting down the minutes until the end credits, which was my experience with the new sequel, Incredibles 2.

I’m not complaining about too much action in an action movie any more than I’d complain about too much chocolate in a chocolate cake. I’m just noting that however good the action is, it turns me off after a point. Just like a too-chocolately chocolate cake.

The Incredibles are in hiding because public sentiment is against superheroes, but Winston Deavor, a wealthy benefactor with a thing for supers, has a plan. His new technology can follow a single superhero around as he or she does good deeds, broadcasting the exploits on nationwide television so opinion can be turned in supers’ favor.

Because Elastigirl’s work usually results in less collateral damage, Winston selects her for this project, leaving Mr. Incredible at home to take care of the kids.

The household mayhem is my second favorite part of this movie, and Mr. Incredible’s emotional journey is really the heart of this movie. Of course he’d rather be out there fighting evil, but here at home, he discovers a few super abilities he didn’t know he had, the stuff that Elastigirl as superhero and mom has been managing for years.

My favorite thing in this movie is Violet Parr, the teenaged daughter in the Incredibles family, and her dealing with identity issues related to two mutations: her super powers and her adolescence. If Pixar is interested in a spinoff, I would totally be there for a movie about Violet, set in Violet’s high school.

It’s a cute, fun movie. But those last twenty minutes are a bear for me to get through! Can we get instead a twenty-minute cafĂ© scene where Elastigirl and Mr. Incredible have lunch and talk about the college literature class where they first met?

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    71/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X