Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Anyone There?

Yep my answer to woodman to his question:

I just want to know how much City, State, or Federal dollars are currently being used to subsidize it.
    ZERO. Tomago. No $$. No ¢¢. Board is entirely funded by one person.

Moderators? Are we getting paid? NOPE. Never have. Never will be. Fine with that. Not much to moderate now days.

And yes, the board is more of a historical or hysterical snapshot of times gone by. You dig deep enough there are skeletons in the closet here.

As unfortunate as admin says regarding social media, the fact of the matter is that this site and many others like it that have come and gone are in the big wasteland Siberia of the internet, whereas the big sites like Facebook are the current mainstream shopping mall and loud gathering place for all topics under the sun... people find their niches there and either be happy or continue the anger that used to once dominate boards like this.

So, Hawaii Threads is what it is... a vault of old stuff, occasional posts, low traffic, no pay and continued support by the admin who pays for everything here (shared hosting with other websites he has I presume)....

And that's my story...

Queue up "Tumbling Tumbleweeds"....

https://youtu.be/8fRxSF0lk-0
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

WOW!

That was FAST!

Four responses in less than 48 hours (...and two of 'em from the same guy). That must have taken some work, and given the lack of traffic on this sight that's gotta set some sort of recent record.

Even got a response from Admin, ...

Originally posted by admin View Post
      This message board is run entirely out of pocket by me personally.
      ... though it would be nice if Admin would include more clarity since "out of pocket by me personally" doesn't really hold up in legal language to succinctly describe a "private, individual citizen" as it could just as easily be uses to describe "Me personally" Director (or an employee of) the Hawaii State Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs.

Not to impugn the DCCA specifically, (pick any other Fed. State, or City bureaucracy as they may apply). It just seems rather vague.

Comment

You can read more about our admin here:

https://www.hawaiiweblog.com/about/bio

Ryan manages a number of websites devoted to the islands, including his blog, HawaiiWeblog.com, which one of the top five blogs in the state. Other sites include HawaiiThreads.com (an online forum that has seen as many as 1 million pageviews a month), HawaiiStar.com, HawaiiGrinds.com, HawaiiSocialMedia.com, and HawaiiStories.com.
        If you have live in Hawaii you will know admin from his appearances on morning news shows at HawaiiNewsNow and more recently KITV 4. He started writing a regular column in the StarAdvertiser. He is very well known and quite public about all of the geeky stuff he has done over the last 20 to 30 years I think. First ran into him long, long ago when he was running an old dial-up BBS from his parent's home on I think a Mac IIsi.

Google those. I'm too lazy to provide links. Nobody reads this board.

Again, I reiterate this board is entirely privately funded. Period. No government funds used.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
          Well, since nobody is willing to address this topic, I think that it's important to bring it up, AGAIN.

Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?
          I used to listen to Health talk Hawaii with Hesh, a one hour program on K-108 radio. He didn't have any ads on his program. That station doesn't have talk shows anymore. So, I just go on his website to listen to any past shows now.
          So, I guess he paid for his shows with the goodness of his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
            Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?
            It's like local talk radio where there are the same callers. Most people just listen and won't call. I have never called a talk radio show. If you look to the right of the HawaiiThreads.com title. There are ads.

Comment

Oh my, no one posted since August '19? Have a question or topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Troubleshooter View Post
                Oh my, no one posted since August '19? Have a question or topic?
                Many of the posters from the zenith of HT 10+ years ago, have aged up, burned out by the political spam on this site, or moved on to other interests. It's a shame that what was once a lively, informative chat list, was ruined by a minority of members. But like a phoenix from the ashes, HT can rise again through a new generation of members, tight moderation, and more of that ALOHA spirit.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I strongly agree and the reason for a thread for the first time. I do sympathize regarding lost friends, but new can replace, like the phoenix. As for myself, I'm taking a recent Sen. Hirono stance of becoming more vocal, lol! The Aloha Spirit must be reinstated and revived to be called the Aloha State.

Philadelphia, The City of Brotherly Love as translated from Greek, is rated one of the worst cities to live. Do we want to be known as the State with little Aloha? The younger generation don't know the meaning or feeling as each generation had lessened the value of giving of self. Now, it is self that is more prevalent, as I found it on the mainland. One neighbor knew little to nothing of the others. I made headway with my neighbors while there, except for one. He was a former New Yorker and declined every attempt at being neighborly.

Yes, the tourism, hotel, and retail industries relays this idealistic notion to all incoming visitors and tourists for business purposes and potential future gains, but drive the streets anywhere in the islands and be prepared to have your eyes opened. I'm not saying all is bad, there are many, many folks still practicing Aloha quietly in their everyday lives. Whenever possible while driving, but mainly sitting on my porch, relaxing, and watching traffic, I count the number of cars at the nearby intersection. A minimum of 25% of drivers do not use their turn signal anywhere in sight of the signal lights. I have noticed that majority of them are in their 20's-30's and male. There are those in their 40's and lessen into their 50's, I presume based upon the ratio of younger drivers to older. There's an even higher percentage that do not signal to change lanes. Many times on the H-1, I nearly had my front bumper ripped off by a car entering my lane without a signal or forewarning. The mainland style of living and attitudes have invaded the islands. It's up to us to replant a seed of Aloha and nurture it before extinction.

Comment

Mahalos ryan!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robbos View Post
                      Mahalos ryan!!
                      +1, I "agree".

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Robbos View Post
                        Mahalos ryan!!
                        I also strongly agree. Mahalo.

Comment

TO THE ENTIRE BOARD:

I had my wife read my posts on the various threads from the responses I've been getting. Her response, "you're rambling. What are you trying to say?" That's when I exited the Board to reflect.

With an hour nap in the past 42 hours so far, I thought I was logical, but apparently was not if my wife couldn't understand what I posted. So, I apologize to all before I call it quits for today and go to bed, finally. Tomorrow, I'll read what I posted to see just how illogical, maybe even wrong, I was.

APOLOGIES TO ALL WHO READ MY POSTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Troubleshooter View Post
                            TO THE ENTIRE BOARD:

I had my wife read my posts on the various threads from the responses I've been getting. Her response, "you're rambling. What are you trying to say?" That's when I exited the Board to reflect.

With an hour nap in the past 42 hours so far, I thought I was logical, but apparently was not if my wife couldn't understand what I posted. So, I apologize to all before I call it quits for today and go to bed, finally. Tomorrow, I'll read what I posted to see just how illogical, maybe even wrong, I was.

APOLOGIES TO ALL WHO READ MY POSTS!
                            GREAT! Let's move on and leave politics out of it, both local and national. Yes, let's talk about local challenges, points of interest, news, and events. Let's debate the issues to no end, but let's stay on topic.

I have offered a solution to homelessness in another thread. I think it is a big problem referring specifically to Hawaii. @troubleshooter what do you think? We just can't shoot these folks. What is your proposal to clean up the streets and get these people the help thy need. Let's be proactive rather than reactive. I am really interested in what you think (but on that other thread).

Comment

Working...
                            X