Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Is Anyone There?

  1. #1

    Default Is Anyone There?

    Sure is quiet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron View Post
    Sure is quiet.
    LOL.

    I think this is what happens when bots & trolls are allowed to suppress dissenting opinions; you're left with nothing more than a boring echo-chamber.

    ...and once all of those echos die off, all you've got left is an empty chamber.

    So, welcome to the EMPTY CAVE that was once "Hawaii Threads".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    HELLO,

    ...HELLOo,

    ...HELLooo,

    ...HElloooo,

    ...Hellooooo,

    ...hellooooo,

    ...ellooooo,

    ...ellooooo,

    ...loooooo,

    ...looooo,

    ...loooo,

    ...looo,

    ...ooo

    ...oo

    ...o, ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron View Post
    Sure is quiet.
    Sorry oldiron, but if I had to guess I'd say that whatever public funding that may have been used to sponsor this site in the past is FAST running out to where they can't even pay trolls to make timely responses to dissenting opinions (like mine) anymore.

    ...and while the low-information crowd remain all too ready to scoff at the idea that Hawaii Threads might actually have been designed to function as little more than a community-data-gathering propaganda tool functioning largely for the benefit of bureaucratic elites, never forget that many of them are probably the SAME PEOPLE who would NOT ONLY site the recent rise in social media outlets (Fakebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.) as the cause of diminished traffic to THIS site, but could also be expected to downplay the covertly illicit data-gathering practices attributable to these social media sites:

    https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2019...ata-about-you/

    ...even as these same social media sites conspire to willfully censor dissenting public opinions siting Identity Politics (racist, bigot, sexist, homophobe, etc.) as their justification.

    https://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-...ser-1775461006

    https://www.propublica.org/article/f...nts-algorithms

    http://www.facebookcensorship.com/

    There are more such links to reports about Twitter, Snapchat, instagram, etc. for anyone who who would care to simply look it up.

    This, of course, is what happens when "conspiracy theory" is resolved through documented evidence and becomes provable as CONSPORACY FACT.

    As for THIS site, well, YOU be the judge.
    Last edited by woodman; May 22nd, 2019 at 02:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?


  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron View Post
    Sure is quiet.
    Hey howzit! Where you guys goin?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Thanks for the replies. I was beginning to think that everyone had left.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In retirement
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Nobody post anything here; they just post links to other pages and the reader is off to another website.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    That's certainly one way of looking at it.

    Another way might be (after reading through past posts) to simply conclude that site administrator having allowed forum vigilantes free reign to flame and insult members with impunity is perhaps serving a particular agenda through this site that may amount to propaganda.

    I pose this question again: Is this an individually sponsored site, or is this site sponsored by C&C of Hon, or State of Hawaii $$$?

    Jumping in to defend your pal who might work one or the other doesn't count. If ANYTHING, it just validates my point.

    Like I said, this site has become an empty cave because the closed-minded few who were DELIBERATELY AND WILLFULLY allowed to dominate it by belittling ANY dissenting opinions, and have turned it into an echo chamber that does NOT allow free thought and honest opinionns which do not conform to the forum agenda.
    Last edited by woodman; June 7th, 2019 at 01:16 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by 68-eldo View Post
    Nobody post anything here; they just post links to other pages and the reader is off to another website.
    There sure are a lot of topics at this site. A reader could do a search on a topic and then get some related topic in the search. Because everything you wanted
    to know about that topic is in this site. What? There's more!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    There sure are a lot of topics at this site. A reader could do a search on a topic and then get some related topic in the search. Because everything you wanted
    to know about that topic is in this site. What? There's more!
    This is the part where Johnny Carson would say,"You are wrong,Internet breath."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Well, since nobody is willing to address this topic, I think that it's important to bring it up, AGAIN.

    Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?

    Here's my take:

    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    That's certainly one way of looking at it.

    Another way might be (after reading through past posts) to simply conclude that site administrator having allowed forum vigilantes free reign to flame and insult members with impunity is perhaps serving a particular agenda through this site that may amount to propaganda.

    I pose this question again: Is this an individually sponsored site, or is this site sponsored by C&C of Hon, or State of Hawaii $$$?

    Jumping in to defend your pal who might work one or the other doesn't count. If ANYTHING, it just validates my point.

    Like I said, this site has become an empty cave because the closed-minded few who were DELIBERATELY AND WILLFULLY allowed to dominate it by belittling ANY dissenting opinions, and have turned it into an echo chamber that does NOT allow free thought and honest opinionns which do not conform to the forum agenda.
    I think people got tired of all the out-of-control "moderators" virtue-signaling through identity politics of manufactured outrage cloaked in what can only be described as a painfully obvious and artificially pious, self-righteous indignation.

    These rants were often delivered in an incredulous monologue of "Holier-Than-Thou" sanctimony belittling the author. And anyone who discovered that the Site Administrator actually allowed, facilitated, and gave summary approval to all of this knew that there was NEVER ANY REAL OPEN DISCUSSION ON THIS SITE when opinions and FACTS went against the agenda of the Admin & his designated Website Vigilantes.

    And as I said before, now, it's just an empty echo chamber.

    I used to be a moderator for a similar website, so I know it's not cheap to maintain.

    So my question sill stands: I don't care who the individuals name is who is listed as site "owner","superintendent", "operator", etc.

    I just want to know how much City, State, or Federal dollars are currently being used to subsidize it.
    Last edited by woodman; August 6th, 2019 at 04:25 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In retirement
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    As someone that runs a couple of websites, I know it does not take meg-a-bucks to run a site like this. Maybe $1k a year, depends on what company you rent the server from. The moderators are normally volunteers so they dont cost anything.
    Most forums have rules to maintain some decorum. Im sure the owner of this forum does not want to have this site become one of those that the mass shooters are getting fired up at. We want to be civilized here.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    This message board is run entirely out of pocket by me personally.

    The lack of traffic is not uncommon for message boards, which are definitely a relic of a time before social media. Most of the competing message boards are gone now. The gathering place of the modern age is Facebook, which is tragic for a variety of reasons.

    The lack of new members and the lack of spam and trolls are due to the same reason: I manually review applications to join, which avoids all the loopholes around automated systems.

    I've just continued to pay the bills in part because of the massive volume of historical knowledge and commentary HawaiiThreads.com has accumulated over fifteeen years.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In retirement
    Posts
    428

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    And I thank you for doing that.
    Last edited by 68-eldo; August 7th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
    Ayn Rand

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,247

    Smile Re: Is Anyone There?

    Yep my answer to woodman to his question:

    I just want to know how much City, State, or Federal dollars are currently being used to subsidize it.
    ZERO. Tomago. No $$. No . Board is entirely funded by one person.

    Moderators? Are we getting paid? NOPE. Never have. Never will be. Fine with that. Not much to moderate now days.

    And yes, the board is more of a historical or hysterical snapshot of times gone by. You dig deep enough there are skeletons in the closet here.

    As unfortunate as admin says regarding social media, the fact of the matter is that this site and many others like it that have come and gone are in the big wasteland Siberia of the internet, whereas the big sites like Facebook are the current mainstream shopping mall and loud gathering place for all topics under the sun... people find their niches there and either be happy or continue the anger that used to once dominate boards like this.

    So, Hawaii Threads is what it is... a vault of old stuff, occasional posts, low traffic, no pay and continued support by the admin who pays for everything here (shared hosting with other websites he has I presume)....

    And that's my story...

    Queue up "Tumbling Tumbleweeds"....

    https://youtu.be/8fRxSF0lk-0
    I'm still here. Are you?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    WOW!

    That was FAST!

    Four responses in less than 48 hours (...and two of 'em from the same guy). That must have taken some work, and given the lack of traffic on this sight that's gotta set some sort of recent record.

    Even got a response from Admin, ...

    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    This message board is run entirely out of pocket by me personally.
    ... though it would be nice if Admin would include more clarity since "out of pocket by me personally" doesn't really hold up in legal language to succinctly describe a "private, individual citizen" as it could just as easily be uses to describe "Me personally" Director (or an employee of) the Hawaii State Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs.

    Not to impugn the DCCA specifically, (pick any other Fed. State, or City bureaucracy as they may apply). It just seems rather vague.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    You can read more about our admin here:

    https://www.hawaiiweblog.com/about/bio

    Ryan manages a number of websites devoted to the islands, including his blog, HawaiiWeblog.com, which one of the top five blogs in the state. Other sites include HawaiiThreads.com (an online forum that has seen as many as 1 million pageviews a month), HawaiiStar.com, HawaiiGrinds.com, HawaiiSocialMedia.com, and HawaiiStories.com.
    If you have live in Hawaii you will know admin from his appearances on morning news shows at HawaiiNewsNow and more recently KITV 4. He started writing a regular column in the StarAdvertiser. He is very well known and quite public about all of the geeky stuff he has done over the last 20 to 30 years I think. First ran into him long, long ago when he was running an old dial-up BBS from his parent's home on I think a Mac IIsi.

    Google those. I'm too lazy to provide links. Nobody reads this board.

    Again, I reiterate this board is entirely privately funded. Period. No government funds used.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Well, since nobody is willing to address this topic, I think that it's important to bring it up, AGAIN.

    Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?
    I used to listen to Health talk Hawaii with Hesh, a one hour program on K-108 radio. He didn't have any ads on his program. That station doesn't have talk shows anymore. So, I just go on his website to listen to any past shows now.
    So, I guess he paid for his shows with the goodness of his heart.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Site traffic is down to almost Zero (with NO adds), so where does all the money come from to sponsor this site?
    It's like local talk radio where there are the same callers. Most people just listen and won't call. I have never called a talk radio show. If you look to the right of the HawaiiThreads.com title. There are ads.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Oh my, no one posted since August '19? Have a question or topic?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    Oh my, no one posted since August '19? Have a question or topic?
    Many of the posters from the zenith of HT 10+ years ago, have aged up, burned out by the political spam on this site, or moved on to other interests. It's a shame that what was once a lively, informative chat list, was ruined by a minority of members. But like a phoenix from the ashes, HT can rise again through a new generation of members, tight moderation, and more of that ALOHA spirit.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  23. #23

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    I strongly agree and the reason for a thread for the first time. I do sympathize regarding lost friends, but new can replace, like the phoenix. As for myself, I'm taking a recent Sen. Hirono stance of becoming more vocal, lol! The Aloha Spirit must be reinstated and revived to be called the Aloha State.

    Philadelphia, The City of Brotherly Love as translated from Greek, is rated one of the worst cities to live. Do we want to be known as the State with little Aloha? The younger generation don't know the meaning or feeling as each generation had lessened the value of giving of self. Now, it is self that is more prevalent, as I found it on the mainland. One neighbor knew little to nothing of the others. I made headway with my neighbors while there, except for one. He was a former New Yorker and declined every attempt at being neighborly.

    Yes, the tourism, hotel, and retail industries relays this idealistic notion to all incoming visitors and tourists for business purposes and potential future gains, but drive the streets anywhere in the islands and be prepared to have your eyes opened. I'm not saying all is bad, there are many, many folks still practicing Aloha quietly in their everyday lives. Whenever possible while driving, but mainly sitting on my porch, relaxing, and watching traffic, I count the number of cars at the nearby intersection. A minimum of 25% of drivers do not use their turn signal anywhere in sight of the signal lights. I have noticed that majority of them are in their 20's-30's and male. There are those in their 40's and lessen into their 50's, I presume based upon the ratio of younger drivers to older. There's an even higher percentage that do not signal to change lanes. Many times on the H-1, I nearly had my front bumper ripped off by a car entering my lane without a signal or forewarning. The mainland style of living and attitudes have invaded the islands. It's up to us to replant a seed of Aloha and nurture it before extinction.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Mahalos ryan!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Is Anyone There?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
    Mahalos ryan!!
    +1, I "agree".
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •