solved: obelisks @ River St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solved: obelisks @ River St.

to wrap up a question from a thread which has been closed for years, I'd asked what 4 old concrete spires at the intersection of River / King St. might have serviced, the answer comes from a good picture I've found, they remain from the electric streetcar days of a century ago. for whatever else they may have been used for in latter times it seems they were used originally to support wires that criss-crossed the roadways.
    they're crumbling and likely have little time left before being removed, but they've survived against the odds all this time in ignominy
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: solved: obelisks @ River St.

I just looked at google street view and yes, just saw them...didn't realize all these years these 4 pillars were there !

Comment

was going through some pics and saw a pic in 1943 that showed it no longer in use...making me more curious

Comment

If you are interested in this you might be interested in the book Streetcar Days in Honolulu ISBN-13: 978-0970621382.

It starts out with horse drawn trams to the electric streetcars of the HRT to HTRs electric rubber tired buses to the HRTs gas powered buses.

Lots of interesting pictures.
        "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
        Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
          didn't realize all these years these 4 pillars were there !
          that was the running line in the old thread, nobody notices them, they fade into the background
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
          X