Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coronavirus

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN20M37V

I thought stockpiling bulk buying was a local thing of being prepared for a hurricane.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...29f31a0ffc3a72

The proposal of having Leahi Hospital as a quarantine facility is a disaster waiting to happen. It's a rundown building up on a hill overlooking the city of Honolulu. Contaminated particles from a building that was scheduled to be torn down would rain down over the city.

Comment

Scared people will be selfish people. They tend to take care of their own and never mind anyone else. Aloha is to care for your neighbors. I was told Aloha is a myth. Not so, I grew up in Aloha. My neighbors were family.

Comment

You can see fear in people while riding the The Bus to anyone who coughs. They will move away or get off the Bus if someone coughs too much. So, if you're sick, Stay Home! Be considerate to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            You can see fear in people while riding the The Bus to anyone who coughs. They will move away or get off the Bus if someone coughs too much. So, if you're sick, Stay Home! Be considerate to others.
            People are over-reacting out of fear. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. My daughter is a licensed health care professional. A cough is not necessarily a sign of COVID-19. Neither is a temperature or shortness of breath. BUT a cough with a temperature of over 100.5 and shortness of breath all together merits a visit to your doctor because you may have hit the trifecta, but not necessarily.

By all means be considerate of your neighbors and stay home if you are not feeling well for any reason and wear a mask if you are the one doing the coughing. But please don't panic. If someone on THE BUS has COVID-19, you have already been exposed before they even cough, getting off is too little too late. Best prevention is wash your hands frequently for min. 20 seconds with WARM water, use hand sanitizer with min. 60% alcohol, wash down frequently touched surfaces with bleach, AND KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM FACE, EYES, AND MOUTH!
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I must agree regarding the fear. I went to Walmart today and shelves are emptying rapidly. Hand wipes bottles, hand soap, etc. dealing with disinfecting have vanished off the bare shelves. Certain brands of bath soaps are totally gone with empty spaces remaining. I asked a stocking associate across from me about their pain killers' stock being late. She replied the items are being purchased and cleared out as soon as they stock the shelves.

Comment

Logical, practical, and good advice. It was drilled into us by the hospital network I retired from.

Comment

Top Twenty things about Covid-19, as of March 5, 2020:

1. Corona is a type of virus. There are lots of different Corona viruses, and Covid-19 is just one of them.
                  2. The news media makes money by scaring and worrying us (that keeps us glued to them). Understand that Covid-19 is NOT THE PLAGUE. It has a mortality rate roughly twice that of seasonal flus.
                  3. This means that the vast majority of people who get Covid-19 will have a few flu-like symptoms, then get better. Consider that catching it, and getting better, will boost our immune system.
                  4. Because most people who get it get better, there are probably more people with Covid-19 now than we realize. All we hear about are numbers of patients who have tested positive. Everyone else is just dealing with the cold-like symptoms and getting over it in a few days.
                  5. What makes Covid-19 different is that it's new. We've had many years to study the flu, but not Covid-19 yet.
                  6. Masks do not prevent you from catching Covid-19, but masks may help prevent infected people from spreading the virus.
                  7. There's no vaccine or cure yet, but prevention is super easy. Covid-19 is transmitted by contact, so wash hands thoroughly and often, and keep your hands away from your head (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc).
                  8. No, gloves aren't helpful (the virus can live on the glove, just like it may on doorknobs, etc).
                  9. This is also flu and allergy seasons, so if you sneeze don't immediately worry that you have Covid-19. But if you do have some symptoms, stay home (self-quarantine) and notify your doctor's office. Work from home, or call in sick if your job doesn't fit with telecommuting.
                  10. When speaking with your doctor's office, s/he may recommend a prescription to ease your symptoms. Ask for that prescription to be mailed to you so you can stay at home.
                  11. Prescription drugs are often made in China, just like everything else. If this supply chain is disrupted, do you have enough of any normal maintenance drugs to last you for a few months? When you call your doctor's office, as for a larger supply than you normally get. It may be possible for you to get a three-month supply of many prescriptions, and now would be a good time to do so.
                  12. Most people are healthy! So hit up Longs, Foodland, etc and make sure you have a two-week supply of whatever helps you get past a cold: Tylenol, tissues, TP, tequila, etc. Whether you have a cold, allergies, the flu, or even Covid-19, you should be feeling better in about ten days. That's it! So there's no need to buy mountains of stuff.
                  13. Help your family, friends, and neighbors out. Pick up some stuff for them.
                  14. This is especially true for kupuna, because seniors have a harder time fighting illness. Help them out, offer stuff so they don't have to go out. Offer to knock and leave it at their door so they don't have to leave their home.
                  15. Soap and water work just as well as antibacterial and antimicrobial soaps. In fact, our use of these expensive soaps has forced germs to evolve and become resistant. Instead of antibacterial and antimicrobial soaps just use your normal soap - but wash for twenty seconds rather than five. And do so often, whether you've left the house or not, because our natural tendency is to touch our heads. We do it without realizing it. So get in the habit of washing hands more often.
                  16. Relax, take care of yourself, and get well soon.
                  17. Relax, and take care of yourself.
                  18. Relax.
                  19. Relax.
                  20. Relax.

Comment

Trump said on Fox news regarding mild cases, "some of them go to work, but they get better." Hello? Trumps worst enemy is his own mouth.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...test-positive/

No forget about our four legged friends.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        I was shopping at Target on Friday night (2/28/20). My purchase was kind of light but the cashier was asking me if I was stocking up for the 14 day supply in case of the Coronavirus. I don't think a box of 10 Twinkies is going to last 14 days.
                        https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/co...210034011.html

People saw that Twinkies are just like gold in the movie Zombieland.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shocking-...155353433.html

How much you like bet that the anger was an excuse for being a loser in life?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            https://www.yahoo.com/news/shocking-...155353433.html

How much you like bet that the anger was an excuse for being a loser in life?
                            Who wants to see minorities fight with each other? Trump supporters are laughing their okoles off when this kind of hate happens. But, Coronavirus is going to be Trump's legacy as president. He's going to try to blame it on Obama.
                            Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 9, 2020, 10:31 PM. Reason: add

Comment

https://www.kitv.com/story/41883890/...virus-outbreak

A "hey howzit" head nod is enough.

Comment

I thought a head nod and shaka was the norm anyway? Handshaking was for more business related greetings, lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X