Best supermarket Hotdog????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best supermarket Hotdog????

That is the best supermarket hotdog in hawaii????
    The plastic package type.
    Since costco no longer had the Polish hotdog, I'm looking for a replacement.
    Oscar Mayer
    Redondo's
    Nathan's
    Hebrew Nation
    Ball Park
    Goviea
    Others.........

Re: Best supermarket Hotdog????

Pronto pop.

Comment

Never heard of it?????

Redondo's dinner franks or hawaiian Wieners????

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Pronto pop.
        Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
        Never heard of it?????
        When I first saw this message I was originally going to say that Pronto Pups is something one would find on Kauai during their county fairs or church carnivals. It kind of looks like a corn dog on a stick. I don't remember having ketchup and mustard being available or some other dripping sauce.

From one web reference the difference between corn dogs and pronto pups is that the outside of the pronto pups uses pancake batter, while corn dog uses corn flour. I could only suspect that pancake batter was easier to get or make back in those days (late 1960's to early 1970's).

As far as the kind of hotdog inside of a pronto pup that may vary depending on the group making the pronto pups.

Comment

Pronto pops used the right amount of batter for a better texture coating for the hotdog. Unlike a waffle dog, there's too much batter in those. I ate pronto pops at little league games as well as the carnivals. Also, I think your taste buds are better for hotdogs small kid time.

Comment

If you can afford Hebrew Nationals (uh...not Hebrew Nation, which would be a different meal entirely!), they have a nice flavor and the benefit of being less shady about what goes in them. Lately, with the introduction of non-nitrite, "natural" hot dogs, there's good flavor to be found up and down the rerigerated aisle, including some of the Oscar Mayer varieties. I like Hebrew Nationals for their heft, and I admit to being taken by their marketing ("We answer to a higher authority"). Kosher doesn't necessarily mean healthy, but hey: SOME guidelines feels better than NO guidelines.

I was never a fan of the Costco Polish dogs, though, so take my opinion from that vantage. The Costco all-beef dogs are much, much better, and a good dog for the price.

I'm a sucker for a good hot dog, but I do not like those Redondo creations. I'll have them when that's what there is, but given the selection at any supermarket, I'll pretty much never choose them.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
              That is the best supermarket hotdog in hawaii????
              The plastic package type.
              Since costco no longer had the Polish hotdog, I'm looking for a replacement.
              Oscar Mayer
              Redondo's
              Nathan's
              Hebrew Nation
              Ball Park
              Goviea
              Others.........
              While I grew up on the Oscar Mayer Wiener I find it kind of bland for my taste, however Oscar Mayer does have at least another product or two beside the standard Wiener.

Lately I have been buying the Redondo's Hawaiian Winners. Latest batch was purchased from Target but it is also available from Wal-Mart.

It's been months since I purchased Ball Park from Wal-Mart, the selling point for them is that it cost around $2 for pack. I can't remember if it was for 8 or 10 hot dogs.

I haven't checked Foodland Farm's selection of hot dogs and I don't want to buy a big collection of 30 or so hot dogs in pack from Sam's Club.

Comment

Memba when there was cheese already in the hotdogs. I don't remember which brand of hotdogs that did that.

Comment

I watched a few clips on utube.
                  They didn't have our local brands.
                  Ball Park and Oscar Mayer didn't do to well.
                  Hebrew something came out as one of the best.
                  I've had Redondo's before. Forget which one.
                  I'll probably go with the Hawaiian Winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Memba when there was cheese already in the hotdogs. I don't remember which brand of hotdogs that did that.
                    I was looking in this weekly ad for Don Quijote. There's Oscar Mayer cheese hotdogs. I didn't know that they still make them.

Comment

Working...
                    X