Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hello everyone!

It is very thrilling for me to be here, as for a while now I have been looking for ways to communicate with anyone from the Polynesian islands. I have a lot of questions, some of them may seem simple or outright ignorant, but so far my only means of knowledge has been the internet.
    I'm an amateur artist and comic writer, with my first comic ealing with creatures from different cultures and whose protagonists, at least two of them, are based on Hawaii and Aotearoa; if anyone is willing to discuss both writing and illustration with me I'd really appreciate it! A fair representation of a culture, more so one that is not my own, is very important (more so in the visual department).

As for my person, well. I'm latinamerican, currently working as a freelance editor and a part time ESL teacher! I'm also trying to learn Hawaiian but, sadly, there is no one available for me to practice with. A speaking buddy would be nice, too. I can teach Spanish in turn, if it is of any interest!

Looking forward to write with you,

~M. Corvin

Re: Hello!

Originally posted by MCorvin View Post
    I'm an amateur artist and comic writer, with my first comic ealing with creatures from different cultures and whose protagonists, at least two of them, are based on Hawaii and Aotearoa
    Welcome, MCorvin! I'm always interested to learn how stories incorporating indigenous peoples and Pacific Islanders are told. Are these comics published and readable somewhere?

Comment

Not yet. The comic is currently in the works with the hope that the prologue and the first chapter will be available, for free, on the internet. While the story at first is not going to take place in an island, the two islander characters will be part of the main focus.

Comment

Aloha, I have recently returned home to Hawaii. I am a published fictional writer and working slowly on another. Any specific questions? I'm on the Big Island.

Comment

Aloha, buenos dias, bom dia M. Corvin! Please tread carefully with the use of Hawaiian culture. The work of this Oahu-based artist and author may interest you: http://www.kaaawasaki.com/

Comment

A lot of the questions I have are regarding the Lapita. I found out about them while investigating but still do not fully understand that sets the Lapita apart or how much they influence modern cultures. It may sound ignorant from my part, but I am also looking at the differences between Hawaiian and Maori, and what sets each apart with other islands. Again, I am very new to all of this, so I'm sorry if I make redundant questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbos View Post
              Aloha, buenos dias, bom dia M. Corvin! Please tread carefully with the use of Hawaiian culture. The work of this Oahu-based artist and author may interest you: http://www.kaaawasaki.com/
              Hey, I've seen some of his t-shirt artistry...cool. I never thought to look up Sam.

Comment

Working...
              X