Landlording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlording

Anyone out there a landlord? I just became one and learning the ropes with a bad tenant on Section 8. I read the eviction requires 45 days here, 30 on the mainland. Also, evictions must go through court. Termination of lease does not. Any insights?

Re: Landlording

Originally posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    Anyone out there a landlord? I just became one and learning the ropes with a bad tenant on Section 8. I read the eviction requires 45 days here, 30 on the mainland. Also, evictions must go through court. Termination of lease does not. Any insights?
    I am a landlord in California and have been for the last 40 years. Eviction in California requires 30 day notice and then 30 days to evict, so a total of 60 days. I have had to evict a couple of times. It is very costly in terms of legal cost, lost rent, and repairs because the evictee usually trashes the place before they leave. A landlord is not required to extend a lease, but you should have a very good reason for non-renewal (especially if the tenant is current on their rent) or you will find yourself in Court.

Owning rental properties is not for everyone. It is a lot of work and expensive (you better have a good attorney on retainer). But I am not asking for sympathy. IF MANAGED PROPERLY, rental properties can provide a nice income and fill a housing need for those so inclined.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much and had already considered retaining an attorney. It seems we're a tenant sympathetic State with the 45 days notice. It was 30 in Indiana.

Comment

It seems we're a tenant sympathetic State with the 45 days notice. It was 30 in Indiana.
        I am sympathetic to tenant sympathetic States. California is apparently more sympathetic to tenants than Hawaii and I am fine with that.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yes, per Section 8 case manager, I was told that an eviction could be settled within or up to 6 months. That is quite awhile to acquire free rent. Talk about sympathetic, lol!

Comment

Yes, per Section 8 case manager, I was told that an eviction could be settled within or up to 6 months. That is quite awhile to acquire free rent. Talk about sympathetic, lol!
            sl

Then don't become a landlord. No one is forcing you. There are no "guarantees" in the rental investment market. Choose your tenants wisely! You can always invest in the "trump economy" as an alternative and luck with that!
            Last edited by matapule; March 5, 2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

That’s why I employ a property manager. He screens the tenants and deals with them at all levels. He gets 10% of the rent each month and 15% for the first month of a new tenant. I just have to deal with him.

When my daughter became a landlord she was asking me if she should hire a property manager. What convinced her was when I asked, “who do you want the tenant to call when the water heater burst in the middle of the night, you or the property manager?” She chose to hire a manager.
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

Hmmm...a property manager is a good idea. An attorney is the other good idea. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                  That’s why I employ a property manager. He screens the tenants and deals with them at all levels. He gets 10% of the rent each month and 15% for the first month of a new tenant. I just have to deal with him.

When my daughter became a landlord she was asking me if she should hire a property manager. What convinced her was when I asked, “who do you want the tenant to call when the water heater burst in the middle of the night, you or the property manager?” She chose to hire a manager.
                  I have a property manager too. 5% to 10% is the going rate depending on number of units, stability of tenants, condition of the rental property(s), etc. But I am very much "hands on" with my manager so that little problems never become big problems before I know it.

Comment

Working...
                  X