Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

  1. #1

    Default Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Hello everyone!

    Really wasn't sure where to put this, so here goes...

    I've been searching online and have not come up with much....my lovely woman is Hawaiian and I'm planning to ask her to marry me this Christmas...but I cannot find the proper Hawaiian translation for, "Will you marry me?" in Hawaiian. I am Filipino and plan to say a little something in my language too...

    I patched together single words to try and make it work, so this is what I have so far...

    "E ana 'oe male ia'u?"

    Does that sound right?

    Thank you in advance any feedback and Happy Holidays!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    I'll research that one but the local way to tie the knot is this way:

    eh sistah we go dakine hook up and make plenty baby yeah?

    Instead of saying, "I do" you say, "Shoot sound good"

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    I'll research that one but the local way to tie the knot is this way:

    eh sistah we go dakine hook up and make plenty baby yeah?

    Instead of saying, "I do" you say, "Shoot sound good"
    Oh, you soooo romantic, Craig! Das how you wen go propose to your wife???! No wonda you get 6 kids!

    Miulang

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miulang
    Oh, you soooo romantic, Craig! Das how you wen go propose to your wife???! No wonda you get 6 kids!

    Miulang
    Or, alternatively, a wonda he even get married!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    hahaha....thought about going the local route too...which is probably what i'll throw in there too!! mahalo and salamat for anything you all find...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linkmeister
    Or, alternatively, a wonda he even get married!
    Me too, das why my wife is so special cuz it ain't the looks that attracted her to me.


    Yep I guess it was the brains...or the money

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    I'll research that one but the local way to tie the knot is this way:

    eh sistah we go dakine hook up and make plenty baby yeah?

    Instead of saying, "I do" you say, "Shoot sound good"

    Lovena

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapolei
    Posts
    55

    Smile Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by a_sportsfan
    "E ana 'oe male ia'u?"

    E male 'oe ia'u (Marry me)
    E male ana 'oe ia'u (You will marry me, or will you marry me, if you put the question mark)
    E male paha kaua? (more humble way of asking, kinda like ... shall we perhaps get married?)
    E male kaua (let's get married)
    I wahine na'u (be my wife)

    After any, you can throw in "ke 'olu'olu" (please)


    ...And I can go on if you want to do a whole speech or be real flowery I just tried to keep it simple above.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    I think you better get the translation for "Yes" because if she says "No" in Hawaiian and you didn't know any better, you may be even more confused than ever.

    When I asked my wife to marry me I had a big vinyl banner displaying the words, "Brenda will you marry me" and had it delivered along with some roses to her working place.

    Our wedding/reception was at what was then called Studebakers in Restaurant Row. It was on the Channel 2 evening news as we got married in the Studebaker automobile.

    I remember feeling so nervous that day I wrote my wedding vows in the palm of my hand. When I had to say my vows, I looked down at my hand and to my horror I had wiped it all off on my pant leg because my palms were sweaty.

    On TV the look of horror was seen by everybody tuned to the Number 1 newscast in Hawaii. You could hear the pastor whisper the vows to me for me to repeat. I got it all on VHS tape right off the newcast!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by malia

    E male 'oe ia'u (Marry me)
    E male ana 'oe ia'u (You will marry me, or will you marry me, if you put the question mark)
    E male paha kaua? (more humble way of asking, kinda like ... shall we perhaps get married?)
    E male kaua (let's get married)
    I wahine na'u (be my wife)

    After any, you can throw in "ke 'olu'olu" (please)


    ...And I can go on if you want to do a whole speech or be real flowery I just tried to keep it simple above.
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a quick question that is extremely important to me:

    What is the difference between these two:
    "E male ana 'oe ia'u?"
    "E male ana anei 'oe ia'u?"

    Anything "flowery" would also be greatly appreciated, but the most important thing is the above translation.

    TIA.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kapolei
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by luxury
    What is the difference between these two:
    "E male ana 'oe ia'u?"
    "E male ana anei 'oe ia'u?"
    no real difference..."anei" is just a word that is used to show that the question is to be answered "yes" or "no".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,326

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Doesn't the 'E' construct imply a command, or at least a strong suggestion? I read "E male ana 'oe ia'u?" more as "You (should) marry me," rather than "will you marry me." Or does the tonal inflection signifying a question (which is different from the tonal inflection for a question in English!) make all the difference?

    Another approach, though I'm hardly a Hawaiian scholar, might be to begin with the verb ("male") but end the statement with, "ke 'olu'olu?" That is, effectively adding "please" to the statement: "Male ana 'oe ia'u, ke 'olu'olu?"

    Of course, 'anei' solves the problem, so "E noho ana anei 'oe ia'u" is probably simplest.

    Also, while I guess "male" is more common (transliteration of the English "marry"), I've seen "noho kāne" (become a husband) and "noho wahine" (become a wife) as the verb element.

    This has been a wholly unqualified guess. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by pzarquon; August 30th, 2006 at 08:53 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    Doesn't the 'E' construct imply a command, or at least a strong suggestion? I read "E male ana 'oe ia'u?" more as "You (should) marry me," rather than "will you marry me." Or does the tonal inflection signifying a question (which is different from the tonal inflection for a question in English!) make all the difference?

    Another approach, though I'm hardly a Hawaiian scholar, might be to begin with the verb ("male") but end the statement with, "ke 'olu'olu?" That is, effectively adding "please" to the statement: "Male ana 'oe ia'u, ke 'olu'olu?"

    Of course, 'anei' solves the problem, so "E noho ana anei 'oe ia'u" is probably simplest.

    Also, while I guess "male" is more common (transliteration of the English "marry"), I've seen "noho kāne" (become a husband) and "noho wahine" (become a wife) as the verb element.

    This has been a wholly unqualified guess. Your mileage may vary.
    Uh oh, no you've got me worried that I'm going to have the wrong thing etched onto the engagement ring box. I've got to place the order soon so I can get if back before our Hawaiian cruise in a week.

    Thanks for both of your help. I really appreciate it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Hawaiian Wedding Proposal?

    I am sure that the correct translation is not the most important thing. The main thing is sincerity in your words. Just speak from your heart. I think you're already planning a wedding. But do not forget that one of the important elements of a wedding is a dress. I think you are puzzling over which one to choose. You can look at this website and find the wedding dress online. I think it will be interesting for you and you will find something for yourself. I wish you good luck in your love affairs

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •