Favorite movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite movie?

I don't have any, I tend to jump from one to the other. I like comedy and cartoons.

Re: Favorite movie?

The one I am waiting for to be on DVD is Ice Station Zebra.

Comment

Of all time? I don't think I could ever force myself to choose just one, if even for an instant. I generally choose "Fargo," "Pulp Fiction," or "Clerks."

We're Netflix devotees, and whenever we're at a loss for something to add to our rental queue, we just hit the most excellent IMDB Top 250 list and work our way down to the first film we haven't seen yet.

Comment

For me, I gotta go with the original STAR WARS. ("episode 4" to those under the age of 20). I saw it 7 times when it first came out. (Twice in a row). Seeing it for the first time, for me, was the single best cinema theatre experience I've ever had. It blew the audience away. They boo'd Darth Vader, they cheered when the Death Star was destroyed, it was awesome.

Comment

My favorite movie of all time is the original 1977 version of Star Wars too. It was the only movie I ever saw that after it was over for the first time, I went "wow" this has got to be the greatest movie ever made.

No other movie since has given me that "wow" feeling after it was over since.

In 1977 I went to see "Star Wars" 6 times at the Cinerama Theater in Honolulu, once at the Palace Theater in Hilo, many, many, many times afterward on home video, HBO and finally again on the big screen in 1997 at the Waikiki #3 theater when the movie was re-released in its re-edited format.

This is the classic "feel good" movie where the forces of good and evil are clearly drawn out and good wins in the end. If George Lucas had not made any follow-ups to this movie, it could stand on its own as being an all time classic in its own right. The story in and of itself is one self contained epic that celebrates what it is like to be on the side of God, glory and everything else that is good.

When the movie opened in 1977 at the Cinerama it stayed there for a little more than a half year, not like it is today where the multiplexes pretty much keep a movie in the first run theater for a month at best if it is a big seller.

BTW, the original 3 movies of the Star Wars Trilogy is coming to DVD on September 21. I'll be the one of the first ones to get this. It's been a long time coming!

Additional Link: Star Wars.com
          Contains all the information you need to know about one of America's all time greatest movies and movie series.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My current favorite movie right now is "Whale Rider" (can you tell I don't get out much?LOL). I love that movie because I love the scenery and the story about Paikea and the legend of the whale rider. I also liked "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Now I can't wait to see "Hero", which has Zhang Ziyi (the main woman character in Crouching Tiger) in a starring role.
            (Dat wahine can kick okole! I wouldn't want to be her enemy in a dark alleyway)

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Since I like violent movies...yes I do...I vote for The Godfather. We even bought the DVD when it came out. But I did enjoy all of the above movies that others have mentioned.
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                Since I like violent movies...yes I do...I vote for The Godfather. We even bought the DVD when it came out. But I did enjoy all of the above movies that others have mentioned.
                The Godfather is one of my favorites too. One of the best family sagas ever created.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Of all time?

No contest. "Wizard of Oz".

Comment

No way I can restrict myself to one movie. Drunken Master 2 (chinese version), Amelie, Amercan Beauty, Battle Royale, Punch Drunk Love, Donnie Darko, Breakfast Club, Matrix 1 are just the few that pop up in my head.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      The Godfather is one of my favorites too. One of the best family sagas ever created.
                      godfather gets my vote also...
                      Fair and Balanced

Comment

There is no movie that tops "The princes's bride"

That is timelessly awesome.

It had the perfect balance of humor, action, witt, sadness, happyness, adventure... It was so well done!!
                        Last edited by KaipuaGurl; September 4, 2004, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Seems like Star Wars is a favorite. I liked EWOKS as a kid. Any of you seen Willow?

Princess Bride - I haven't ever seen that but I've heard a lot about it.

No, don't limit yourself to one, I can't Do any of you watch the animated flicks? A favorite of mine is Mulan and Emperors New Groove.

Comment

One of my favorites that hasn't yet been mentioned, is Beaches with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. We went to see it 9 times when it first came out. Then I bought it on VHS and we still occasionally watch it. I also loved The Right Stuff of course, the LoTR Trilogy is also another favorite. I guess my favorite depends on what mood I'm in at the time I'm being asked that question.
                            Send POI

Comment

Hard to pick just one film. I always liked a New Zealand film called Once Were Warriors. A very powerful and emotional film about domestic violence amongst the Maori's. Having spent a bit of time in Rotorua where it was filmed, I can appreciate how realistic the film is. The first scene where he gives her lickings can only be descibed as brutal.

For something a little less intense, I always enjoy watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Comment

Working...
                              X