Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hero

Originally posted by pzarquon
    That reminds me... I should see how much this film costs at some of my favorite import sites. Or have the Hollywood lawyers stemmed the flow while "Hero" is still in U.S. theaters?
    Hubby bought it from one of the many many many many street vendors who sell them at some of the ports they visit.
    Send POI

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
      Neo said:

"walking on water is cool"

Indeed. Although I've only heard stories about one person with the ability to "walk on water".

I'm not saying I believed that one, either, but it is somewhat more credible than the scene in "Hero".
      the walking on water and the flying sends the idea that these martial arts are ancient mystic arts. becoming a master of kung fu transcends physical skill but unites the body, mind, & spirit--or that is what the movies want to convey. certainly in the Hero, not everyone could walk on water, only the best fighters under heaven could. i see them flying but think it as just a metaphor for superior skill.
      Fair and Balanced

Comment

"i see them flying but think it as just a metaphor for superior skill."

I saw it as very ineffective "special effects" which the film really didn't need.

Comment

I saw this 2 years ago when it first came out and was on a tour in Asia. I haven't seen the version that was released here in the US though, I hear they made some changes for the Western audience. Why, I don't know. Needless to say, I liked it.

Comment

Missed this when it was playing in the theaters, but I spotted it on sale at Costco for $18.99 the other day and bought it. Visually, this is truly a stunning movie, just like Crouching Tiger was. And since it was a myth related to the creation of the Q'ing Dynasty, I thought it told a very nice story. It would have been better seen on one of those new HDTV-ready TVs because of the black boxing, but it certainly looked fine on a 26" screen. Of course, some of the fight scenes were a bit fanciful and I sort of got lost in the middle because of the different "endings", but everything tied together in the end when Nameless sat 10 feet away from the Emperor. The "extras" that were provided on the DVD helped show how they did the fight scenes. The only extraneous part was the interview of Jet Li by Tarantino. I didn't think it enhanced the viewer's appreciation for the movie at all.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; December 5, 2004, 11:26 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X