X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dog the Bounty Hunter" on A&E

Who can forget Duane "Dog" Chapman?

The Hawaii-based bounty hunter who made headlines when he captured convicted rapist Andrew Luster in Mexico last year (and nearly got busted himself by Mexican authorities) is the subject of a new reality series that begins airing tonight on A&E.

Gushes the show website:
    Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of Da Kine Bail Bonds headed by brawny bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman and his partner and wife Beth whose raw and rigorous penchant for getting their guy is only eclipsed by their Honeymooner-style personal antics.
    Some of the convicts he's shown chasing will be in Hawaii, and some will be pursued on the Mainland.

Re: "Dog the Bounty Hunter" on A&E

While "North Shore" and "Hawaii" are getting pounded, Dog's show got a good review at MediaWeek:

A&E's Dog the Bounty Hunter a Hit
    September 02, 2004
    By Megan Larson

A&E has the makings of another hit series on its schedule. Back-to-back episodes of Dog the Bounty Hunter premiered Tuesday, Aug. 31 to 3.2 million viewers, tying reality series Growing Up Gotti as the most watched series premiere in the network's history.

The series delivered a 2.6 household rating at 10:00 p.m. and a 2.6 household rating 10:30 p.m.

"All of us at A&E are thrilled by the premiere ratings," said A&E executive vp and general manager Abbe Raven. "Duane 'Dog' Chapman and his family proved to be compelling real-life characters that make for great television."

The series follows bounty hunter Duane Chapman and his wife and business partner Beth while they are at home and at work, chasing down criminals.

A&E executives had hoped that Gotti and Dog would grow the network's base of younger viewers. They did. Dog delivered 1.9 million viewers 25-54 and 1.8 million viewers 18-49 during its premiere hour.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/h..._id=1000623786
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I'm bummed I missed this. After I posted a reminder for everyone else, even. Some of these "reality series" that cover both the profession as well as the human and family relationships behind the scenes ("Family Plots" comes to mind) are surprisingly compelling.

My opinion of "Dog" as a person is mixed, but I do love me some good TV.

It's interesting, meanwhile, to see what qualifies as a smash hit on cable. They're happy with a 2.3 rating, but even the supposedly disastrous "Hawaii" rated a respectable 8.3 on NBC.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        It's interesting, meanwhile, to see what qualifies as a smash hit on cable. They're happy with a 2.3 rating, but even the supposedly disastrous "Hawaii" rated a respectable 8.3 on NBC.
        If ratings equates to income generated then programs on cable get the money sooner since the subscribers have paid for the access via their cable company. For programs shown on broadcast, the sponser gets the money back from future sales of their product assuming you want to go out buy their product.

Comment

We watched this show for the first time last night on a lark... and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It wasn't entirely what I expected, given only what I had seen and read so far about Duane "Dog" Chapman. The show's editors might very well be emphasizing his warm-and-fuzzy side, and he may very well actually be the chest-thumping, egotistical, brash thug folks expect him to be, but as far as the show goes, it's good fun.

In the spirit of other vocational, follow-them-around reality shows like "American Chopper" and "Family Plots," the stuff that isn't the bounty hunting is just as compelling. The way Duane and his wife goof off with their son is just as memorable as when they collar a bail-jumper living on a beach with his "other" girlfriend. And while Duane's not quite the sage wise man he fancies himself to be, it's interesting to see how seriously he takes his work and how much he feels God is a part of the plan.

And yes, they do subtitle the pidgin.

It was also neat to see how Duane's notoriety affects his effectiveness on the job. Since everyone knows who he is, it's hard to keep a low profile when tracking a target. Last night, his son had to enlist a local girl to go into a decidedly "local" neighborhood... observing that "we're not the right color, one, and we're not dressed right." They stood out like sore thumbs.

Sure, NBC's "Hawaii" might be showing "the other side of paradise," but still not the side that you see on "Dog the Bounty Hunter." These are real folks.

I'll try and catch it again next Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            And yes, they do subtitle the pidgin.
            Did they transcribe it verbatim, or did they translate it to American English?

Comment

I actually caught the show and am surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. They are such characters and I knew exactly where they were most of the time. It was a hoot to watch! Embarrassed and hooked, -Slick
              Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick
                They are such characters and I knew exactly where they were most of the time. It was a hoot to watch!
                I'll give the Chapmans that... they ARE a bunch of characters. It's painful to hear them say "brah" and try to talk pidgin though... gonna give more mainland haoles the idea that they can get away with talking like that when they come to visit.

What I do have a problem with, however, are all the tidbits of info that Dog gives about the neighborhoods he visits that simply ain't true.

Ala Moana Beach Park is one of the most dangerous places on the island?

The Waikiki beach boys are all drug dealers and gamblers?

The rest area near the statue of Duke in Waikiki is a haven for drug activity?

Please.

I'm also getting sick of Dog's BUTCHERING of local words... and how ignorant he can seem at times.

In last night's episode, for example, he's told to go visit KPT and that he wouldn't make it past Building A over there.

After he boasts how much of a badass he is, the camera catches him saying to one of his family members that he could go up to "KPTA" and not have a problem.

Yeah... right.

This show might be making Dog money, and I admit it IS fun to watch, but I don't see how he'll be able to operate efficiently out here any more.

Criminals have cable too, you know...

Comment

On the flip side I watched part of the episode last night. The part of
                  the show where they captured that guy at the beach caused me
                  almost to cry. Why you ask, well it was really sad to see the guy
                  seeing his toddler for the last time for awhile. On top of it Dogs
                  tough love speach to the guy was touching to me also.

There was another instance that I can think of how Dog really
                  does care. When they were looking for a bail jumper in Kona.
                  He was asking the kids nearby if they went to school and to
                  listen to their parents.

You can question his ethics and his style. But I think he is
                  doing a great job in getting these creeps off the street.
                  Incidentally I don't think his notoriety is going to effect
                  how well he does his job frankly.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I saw two back to back episodes and I have to say what a nut. The episode where they chased the "ice man" then procceded to ask the other guys if they have a problem and threating them is a great way to get hurt or hurt others. -1 for idiot.... no Bounty hunter is going to risk injury to others or themselves.

Also slamming the China town district was not cool. I also for -2 on idiot. The entertainment value is excellent in the means of what I would quote "WT for white trash" and I live in Missouri and trust me I have seen my share of trailers.
                    I forgot to mention I have seen real bounty hunters at work and I could see why Mexico wanted his head..........I'm sure Hawaii will have the same to say soon.

Comment

i saw this show for the first time last week, and i am totally surprised that this guy isn't getting his ass kicked in waikiki by all the crack-heads. oh and what really ticked me off was that his son got arested for buying drugs and dog wanted to beat up the guy who sold it to the boy. why not kick the dumb kids butt? he's the one that bought the drugs...grrrrr!

Comment

I love hawaii - havent been there since about '97 or '98. I enjoy DTBH.

Question (hoping someone can answer) the VERY cool song that Beth (wife) played loud on the radio when trailing that guy in the blue pick up (episode shown in Canada on Tues Dec 7) I think the Episode is #14 called Sons and Daughters where they are tracking Virginia. It is a great song. I really want to find out the band/song title. It must be popular right now.

The only part of the lyrics I have is:
                        "come on and ride wit us" and then later "all the dj's" or "all the deejays".
                        Anyone know the song I am talking about? I have tried to find it everywhere. they used it on another tv show i saw as well.

VD

Comment

Re: Dog's son buying drugs?

When did Dog's son get busted for buying drugs? I don't remember that one. Was that broadcast? Just wondering.

Comment

dog wanted to beat up the guy who sold it to the boy
                            if I'm thinking of the episode you're thinking of, he didn't want to beat anybody up. Some guy sold the kid drugs and Dog was going to go after him. A friend of his told him not to, that it was too dangerous. The friend got busted on some other unrelated thing years later and jumped bail. That's why Dog was going after him. It had nothing to do with his kid.

Comment

I, too, am looking for the song I heard and still hear on "Dog, The Bounty Hunter" at the beginning of the show, when Dog is walking down his driveway in front of his house, I believe getting the newspaper, there is a song playing. It sounds like a Hawaiian song and I HAVE GOT TO HAVE THIS SONG! I can't locate anything about this song, whatsoever. It's not listed in the credits, unless I've missed it, which is probably the case.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

My grandfather is buried in Honolulu. He left my father's family when my father was 8 years old and he married another woman and told that women he had no kids and had never been married. He got sick later in life and I remember Dad picking my Grandpa up at the airport here in Kentucky. He came home for his kids to take care of him. Well, my Dad helped him a bit, got him to a doctor and diagnosed and Dad put him right back on a plane a few months later and told him to get the surgery in Hawaii.

Anyway, I feel I have that link with Hawaii, a blood relative buried there.

Please someone help me with this song! It's a real funny, fun-sounding song and very lilting and very Hawaiian-sounding. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X